Is this enough as a power amp? Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powders

Reaction score
I recently aquired a Studio Preamp, and the plan was to accomodate it with something in the realms of a 295 or 50/50 power amp.

But before that, I plugged it into an old ******* I had laying around: Peavey 260C monitor. And it sounded good enough? The thing is that I have no idea what I am missing here. Is the Peavey even a power amp? Will there be a noticable difference if I switch to a proper power amp like the 295 or a 50/50?

It might be worth mentioning that I do not need to play at very high volumes.

Peavey 260C Monitor:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/306484/Peavey-260.html

IMG_2388-scaled.jpg

Looks like it was mainly designed as a power amp for onstage sound reinforcement. It will work but was probably not optimised as a guitar power amp although they say in the manaul it can be used as a "booster amplifier with exsisting instrument amplifiers and PA systems":
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80361021.pdf

I think you should try it for a while and see how you like it.

Yea that's solid state power amp... Will it work? Sure, probably best to run the recording outs to it as the inputs are line levels. Echoing "not optimized" which is a good description. 8)

Fantastic - thank you all for clearing things up.

I'm going to get a 50/50, test them side by side, and let the winner take me to distant lands.

Markedman said:
I recommend the 50/50. It has a switch to run it at 15 watts, which is loud but manageable. You'll be happier.
The 50/50 sounds amazing compared to the solid state power amp. I'm definitely happier! Although I have two questions:

The 50/50 delivers a consistent hum between 90hz - 250hz which is prominent in recordings. To my understanding there is nothing wrong with the machine itself after troubleshooting. Is this just life with tubes - or is this particular model bass-heavy? EQ of hum:
EQ-MB.png

Also I was baffled by the loud fan, and noise from the unit itself. As mentioned I'm used to a solid state power amp - therefore I do not know what to expect in regards of noise - so I'll be the first to admit that I'm being naive here:

I could just store the 50/50 in a different room, but I wonder if there exists a somewhat silent tube power amp with a silent fan/without a fan?

Here I am playing my BOOGIE Studio preamp into my 295 Stereo power amp.

The Best Boogie Rig - There is!!
Cheers man.

Back