Begun to bond with Extreme mode...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noonoo

Reaction score
...it is tighter than the IV but still has a wider frequency and is more forgiving than the IIC+. You can crank the gain without developing a lot of flub. Think I just did not give it a chance early because of it's name. Mesa should have called it Mark V mode I think. Think I am getting a pretty killer tone now that it is dialed in....my average playing be damned..hehe.

Its not elastic enough for me . The IV has a bit more sag and more to my liking . Its not just the way it sounds but the way it feels as well .

Noonoo said:
...it is tighter than the IV but still has a wider frequency and is more forgiving than the IIC+. You can crank the gain without developing a lot of flub. Think I just did not give it a chance early because of it's name. Mesa should have called it Mark V mode I think. Think I am getting a pretty killer tone now that it is dialed in....my average playing be damned..hehe.

I agree about the name... I think people are afraid it'll be too "Dual Recto" or something.

As for calling it Mark V mode... it's the presence shift off the Mark IV.

I think "Extreme" works as a name for the mode.

It fits when you think about how the highs and lows are more in your face, and also that it's just plain louder. It being really tight does not make it less extreme.

There's another amp out there on the market, a hot seller with the kids I believe. The Line 6 Spider II. It has its own Extreme mode on it and I think that it produces the kind of sound people are expecting from an "extreme" mode. I've heard this amp cranked up to loud volumes at little shows. It sounds like ****!

The Extreme mode works best for hi-gain glassy leads for me..
That said, I also use it for shred-riffage..it sounds more ballsy than the Mark IV, but has a distinctive lack of attack compared to the Mark IV...

For recording...Mark IV + Extreme on two separate tracks(panned 70% left and right) ...will make your sound jump out!

Use presence control to your individual taste and guitar/pickup combo...I find myself increasing the presence from 10->12 .o' clock when I switch from Mark IV to Extreme Mode to help open the amp up for studio level volumes.

My $0.02

What's sad about this (as i said before on another post) is that the first month I used the amp i was not able to use this MARK V mode (it should be called MARK V mode).
Now that i have another guitar... JEEESSSSSUUSSSSSS i love this mode!!!! for rhythm, solo... everything!! The best gain i have experienced!!!

Latest posts

Back