Balanced volume between clean,LO, and HI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeffp said:
maybe that`s why i had the Master turned up to 10 if you think about it.

Makes perfect sense. Just be forewarned, turn your master DOWN when you swap tubes to test them. Your amp is about to get a whole hellova lot LOUDER!!

We took the covers off the tubes and powered up this afternoon. They are all glowing including V4, and V5. But i guess that could be explained by a still working but weak tube. Marcus asked me if i found any settings where i had to turn clean trim decreasing clean volume to meet Lo/Hi volume. The answer is not ever. A flag seemed to go up there.Do you guys do this to balance the volume?I really don`t know. That`s what i got out of the user manual too.Hope we have the problem located.

Don't forget that you had the amp shipped to you and that you bought it new. During shipping a tube may have wiggled itself loose. Before going crazy swapping tubes, try reseating the tubes back to their original slots. It could be the cause of your problems.

mmmmm.i`ll be sure to check that they are seated well......something you said BRS....you`re right on......the tone "IS THERE" in this amp!

Tube glowing does not mean it's OK. Inside each tube is a filament like in a toaster. The tube has to be hot for the electrons to move from one terminal to another. BUT the amplifier parts are separate from the heater.

If you have a spare tube that you know is good, swap it into one position at a time until you notice a difference in amp function. If you don;t have a spare tube, swap one pair of tubes. See if you can get the problem to change symptoms. That will narrow it down to one of those two tubes.

Try swapping the power tubes from inside positions to outside positions as well, and run in both 45W and 90W modes.

jeffp said:
We took the covers off the tubes and powered up this afternoon. They are all glowing including V4, and V5. But i guess that could be explained by a still working but weak tube. Marcus asked me if i found any settings where i had to turn clean trim decreasing clean volume to meet Lo/Hi volume. The answer is not ever. A flag seemed to go up there.Do you guys do this to balance the volume?I really don`t know. That`s what i got out of the user manual too.Hope we have the problem located.

At low-ish volumes, the clean channel is ALWAYS louder than vintage Lo and Hi if I turn the clean trim right up. Make of that what you will.

hey jeffp

I have the same exact problem. And I call it a 'problem' because I know for certain that it developed it over time. When I first got the amp I set volume at about 2 o clock on gig and I had gain level set to clean (more gain and cleaner clean channnel) and the clean channel volume was MUCH louder than gain stages. I had to turn the gain trim way down. After few months I realized that I had to turn up gain trim even more and now on the clean gain trim setting my clean channel is too quiet even with the gain trim maxed out. I posted here a month ago or so and someone said that he had the same problem and it was a bad v4 tube. I couldn't change my tubes just yet but maybe it is as simple solution as that?

let me know if that helps (English isn't my first language :oops: )

if the users manual is correct and accurate and the "clean level trim feaure" is used to decrease volume on clean to balance between modes and mine works by the way. it does decrease... then my starting point is way too low because i need to increase. Sounds like problem solved. I hope so . I`ll find out soon enough.

problem.......not V4, not V5.............here we go again!....I don`t know how much longer i can take it.......and this is my second ED since July 23rd!

May be time for a warrantee repair.

Did you replace only one tube at a time? Could be V4 AND V5. Or some other combination of tubes. If not, then it may be a circuit problem.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I was suggesting that you should try replacing both at the same time instead of just one at a time. If that's what you did, then that's pretty much all you can do.

The only other thing would be to retube the whole amp. I did that with mine, and it STILL had a bad tube (about 1 in 5 tubes I buy goes bad immediately). That turned out to be V5 for me.

Anyway, it is possible that the problem you have is on ALL channels (so it could be V7 as well), but you don;t notice it on HI/LO because they have so much gain it still makes a big signal. It is also possible (though increasingly unlikey) that it's V1, V2 or V3 and somehow making extra gain.

I would bypass the reverb to rule out that tube, and not use the FX loop.

You could also try running out of FX send into a different power amp to see if the problem is after the loop, and also run from a different (known good) preamp into FX return. You could be having power tube problems as much as anything else.

Time to get rid of any assumptions and check EVERYTHING. Divide and conquer.

jeffp said:
But about the volume the manual says use the level knob to DECREASE for balance and my amp fully up on the level was WELL below any balance always.

That's the way I read it too.

I'm sure you've already tried it a million times, but I assume you've tried it with the gain trim switch in all three positions?

Again, mine produces a slight volume drop going to the clean channel.... but it's a natural volume drop that's consistent with how much quieter I'd normally run the clean channel compared to the dirty channels.

yes.......And i still wasn`t sure about it until i talked to Marcus @ MB. He said The manual was correct. The amp had a problem. That`s why the specific questions to you ED owners about volume balance between the modes and decreasing clean volume with clean level to match volume on gain modes. thanks. I want to make make sure this is correct and common for the other ED`s out there.

I didn`t get a lot of negative feedback from othersabout the volume balance isse. This may be good news. Maybe my amp can be repaired.What really bothers me is the dealer checked his other units(combo`s) in the store and said they all had the same behavior.! MB is on it! I wait.........

It's possible the dealer got a batch of bad units. Or he may be trying them at low volume. He needs to set volume to noon and master at least to 9:00 to get any idea of the true balance between channels. For me, volume at 2:00-3:00, gain trim set to clean and clean volume level set to bypass gives a nice strong clean volume compared to the other 2 channels. With master set very low, the hi/lo modes drop out and make clean sound high by comparison.

Too bad I'm far away, or I'd bring my Dyne to your dealer for comparison.

elvis ;have you followed this from the beginning?ho bout you YJ? Do others have my problem? I don`t know whaT IS NORMAL OR COMMON FOR THIS AMP?

Back