Attenuator for Mark IV - is it worth it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdsworth

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an attenuator for my Mark IVa combo for home recording, but is it worth getting one or does the lead vol/master trick cancel out the need? I was thinking of getting the THD Hot Plate 8 ohm by the way (I would consider Weber if it wasn't for their lack of availability).

So...is it worth it, and what sort of lead tone should I expect from one?

Though I own an attenuator (PB-100), I have maybe used it twice. Once to make sure it worked when I bought it and once to figure out that I can't stand attenuated tone. I would just assume play as loud as I can get away with. To me, attenuators don't do a lot but squash your tone. Another part of tone that people forget when they go to attenuators is the fact that your speakers moving air is important. If you want a tone that comes from your speakers on the edge of breakup then you need to get them there or you won't get that sound. That having been said the attenuator will then further frustrate you like it did me. It is a common sense kind of approach but it really makes a difference. So here is vote #1 for saying no to the attenuator.

I do not know your current circumstances under which you are trying to record such as neighbors, family and what not so you may have to get an iso box or something in order to get true cranked tone. I still am not in favor of the attenuator though.

holdsworth said:
I'm thinking about buying an attenuator for my Mark IVa combo for home recording, but is it worth getting one or does the lead vol/master trick cancel out the need? I was thinking of getting the THD Hot Plate 8 ohm by the way (I would consider Weber if it wasn't for their lack of availability).

So...is it worth it, and what sort of lead tone should I expect from one?

Holdsworth

If you are interested in the Weber eurotubes.com does stock them.

I use a THD Hotplate (8 ohm) with my Mark IVa and like it quite a bit. That said, I don't employ it in order to achieve power tube saturation; in my experience the Hotplate doesn't work well in that fashion. Instead, I typically set it up to knock of 4-8db, allowing the amp to open up into it's operational range at a reasonable volume (without the Hotplate I can't even crack 2 on the master volume).

Unfortunately, I can't say it really sounds or responds the way it does when I take it out to band rehearsals, where I open it up to 2-3 sans Hotplate. So if you're looking to tame your Mark IV down a bit for bedroom-level practice I think the Hotplate might help, but don't expect it to provide the full-on rage of the amp really doing its thing. All of this applies to the other amps I've used the Hotplate with, including Marshalls, Hiwatts, and the like.

Cascading gain stages allow you to get heavy tones at lower volumes. I've found that the triode/class a/tweed/harmonics setting allows me to get some amazing tones at much lower volumes.. I have an 8ohm hotplate so I can try it but I love the tone I'm getting at those volumes so I haven't really been tempted.

Platypus said:
I've found that the triode/class a/tweed/harmonics setting allows me to get some amazing tones at much lower volumes..

thats what i thought the first week... then i started flipping switches, and now i can't go back.. i NEED me some mid-gain!!! it so completely depends on the tones you're going for though...

Platypus said:
Cascading gain stages allow you to get heavy tones at lower volumes. I've found that the triode/class a/tweed/harmonics setting allows me to get some amazing tones at much lower volumes.. I have an 8ohm hotplate so I can try it but I love the tone I'm getting at those volumes so I haven't really been tempted.

I hear you, I too can get amazing tones with triode/simul-class/tweed/harmonics, but I really want to push the amp to get the best recording tone in a confined space. Maybe when my new preamp tubes arrive from doug it'll be a different story altogether though, so I'm going to hold off buying an attenuator until then. ;)

Strangely enough, I don't find class A half as sweet as simul-class, not even at low volumes. To me triode/simul/harmonics is the only way to go! 8)

Just out of interest, has anyone got any sound clips a/b'ing the mark iv post and pre attenuator load? I'm interested in hearing the way in which it would colour the tone.

Here is another thought for you to consider. I have been using 6v6 tubes in the power section. Allows me to turn up the amp more without blowing my family away at home. Give it a shot. I personally don't like the way attenuators affect the tone.

Latest posts

Back