Are Monster Cables worth the hype?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Right now I've got a 25' Radio Shack cable connecting my guitars to my amps. It's actually not a bad cable, but it's not mine and I'll have to give it back soon, so here's my question: are Monster Cables really that good? At $50 for a 21' Rock cable, it's nearly twice as much as an 18' DiMarzio. Do you think there would be any noticeable difference in sound? My guess is probably, but I'd like more opinions.

Also, is there any cable you'd recommend over the Monster? I'd like to get the best sound possible.

Thanks!

Nope. Not worth the hype - apart from the warranty.

I recommend Mogami 2524 over the Monster any day.

secretsoundz said:
I'd go with Mogami if you've got the cash...

I also like Planet Waves cables...

+1,000

Mogami Gold is where it's at. Warranty + better quality than Monster (imho).

TheMagicEight said:
Right now I've got a 25' Radio Shack cable connecting my guitars to my amps. It's actually not a bad cable, but it's not mine and I'll have to give it back soon, so here's my question: are Monster Cables really that good? At $50 for a 21' Rock cable, it's nearly twice as much as an 18' DiMarzio. Do you think there would be any noticeable difference in sound? My guess is probably, but I'd like more opinions.

Also, is there any cable you'd recommend over the Monster? I'd like to get the best sound possible.

Thanks!
If you think that Radio Shack cable is not bad, then be prepared to be enlighted with good cable. Go with Mogami or Planet wave. Stay away from Radio Shack stuff, I can't understand how they can stay in business.

Go to redco.com and order a bunch of Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors and you'll be able to make yourself a bunch of GREAT cables at way less than you'll pay in any store.

CudBucket said:
Go to redco.com and order a bunch of Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors and you'll be able to make yourself a bunch of GREAT cables at way less than you'll pay in any store.

+ 10000000 !!!!

+1 for Mogami

I've never made my own. How much do the connectors usually cost? I saw that the cable is like .71 cents per foot which is great. I'm terrible at soldering though. lol

Turumbar82 said:
+1 for Mogami

I've never made my own. How much do the connectors usually cost? I saw that the cable is like .71 cents per foot which is great. I'm terrible at soldering though. lol

Depends but usually $2.50 - $3 each.

I've tried and tried to tell a difference in cable, i am a big home theatre buff too and i still cant tell a difference in a $120.00 cable and a $30.00 dollar cable, when it comes to tv, dvd audio or guitar. I have ran numerous tests and besides the warranty and cool looking cables I personally can't tell a difference. I have worked in retail for years and the markup on cables is ridiculous especially the more expensive cable manufacturers. The golden rule in retail is the more expensive the cable the more markup it has and the more profit we make to get that bonus. So yes monster cable is the best thing in the world(lol) if you catch what i am saying.

nathan28 said:
I've tried and tried to tell a difference in cable, i am a big home theatre buff too and i still cant tell a difference in a $120.00 cable and a $30.00 dollar cable, when it comes to tv, dvd audio or guitar. I have ran numerous tests and besides the warranty and cool looking cables I personally can't tell a difference. I have worked in retail for years and the markup on cables is ridiculous especially the more expensive cable manufacturers. The golden rule in retail is the more expensive the cable the more markup it has and the more profit we make to get that bonus. So yes monster cable is the best thing in the world(lol) if you catch what i am saying.

I'm with you. But it is still cheaper to use Mogami than buy Monster. Whether or not Mogami is better than anything else is subjective as well.

CudBucket said:

That sounds like an awesome idea!

What's a good soldering iron? I've got one, but it's a POS.

Hakko 936. It's the best.

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=3

mogami cables are clear, as in they do not distort your signal (color your sound)

Monster cables color your sound, and in a side by side comparison of equal lengths you can notice a slight difference, its not much to me, but every little bit counts. Mogami is clearer, you will get a better clearer, non-colored (read distortion, and not the good kind) sound.

I have not used planet waves cable so I cannot comment on it, however, I assure you all the pro's use mogami.

I wish someone had explained this all to me years ago, i always used regular cbi cable thinking it didnt make a difference. I bought ONE mogami cable and had to adjust my amp, turn it down, turn down gain and highs etc.

I immediately replaced every cable I had with mogami.

My other guitarist had monster cable. We replaced one cable with mogami. it was a slight difference, but you could tell, it sounded more muffled, less clarity than the mogami. He then replaced all his cable with mogami as well.

Get mogami. You wont regret it.

+1 on the Mogami
++1 on the Planet Waves
I can tell you this much from my own experience. I have two Monster Rock 21' cables downstairs and I have four Planet Waves 21' foot cables downstairs. The difference in sound is not night and day like some claim, yes you may have to readjust your amp slightly, and I mean slightly, to compensate for the minor tone diff. However the biggie here was the terrible, terrible static noise I was getting from the Monster. They call this triboelectric noise. The very second I plugged in the Planets with absolutely no changes in setup whatsoever it was gone. To this day I use Planets on everything including three pedalboard kits in my rig. One day if I can, I would really like to shoot the extreme high end Zaolla or the like against the PW's.
BackofRig.jpg

i was using cheapo bulk cables until last year when i upgraded ALL my cables to monster rock cables, it was expensive but so far they are awesome..ultra quiet and good warranty too..
My experience with them so far has been good... 8)

Latest posts

Back