Anyone tried the new JJ 803 long plate, any issues?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
I've really liked my cleans since putting this in. Note, I only put it in v1 and i've got jj high gain 83s and chinese c9s in teh rest of the preamp slots. I've been reading about some people getting really microphonic issues with the 803 in high gain amps because its a long plate. I was under the assumption that as long as it was only in V1 I should be perfectly fine.

My main issue is that in modern or vintage mode my cleans or single notes seem to fizzle and not have much sustain.

I have the same tube setup in my F-50 head (except an EH in V4) and have had no issues with microphonics. The ECC803S is awesome in V1. I will be sticking with this tube setup until I change amps (which may be soon, I'm a complete gear *****) :p

StrykeBack said:
I've really liked my cleans since putting this in. Note, I only put it in v1 and i've got jj high gain 83s and chinese c9s in teh rest of the preamp slots...
Do you have C9s in the hi gain? I'd think they're too bright...
-kp-

theres 5 preamp tubes right? i believe i have an 803 in v1 83s in v2 v3 and 4 are chinese 9th gens and a 83s pi tube sec 6l6s.

I just bought 3 for my 290 power amp, and think they sound pretty good. I didn't try any in my preamp, where all the gain is though.

However, I had a bunch of Yugo ei ECC83's in my preamp, that are the long plate types just like the 803's and they sounded great. But they would go BONKERS, and squeel like mad at a moments notice.

I guess this is just the nature of the beast with this type of tube. That's why Eurotubes recomends the 803's for vintage amps, where there isn't as much gain going on, and not for modern high gain beasts.

But you can still use them in the V1 only, of a preamp section, and non gain stages like a power amp with no problems for a wider fequency responce.

I have an 803 in V1 and stock Mesa Sovtek LPS in the other 4 positions.

I haven't played it cranked yet but it adds some nice mids and highs. No problems with noise with the output halfway.

Latest posts

Back