Anyone mix 6l6s and 5881's...or am I nuts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i haven't mixed in my Mark V (the newest manual says not to), but i've been running all 5881s in it for a few months now, an older set with some miles on them from my 50/50.

IIRC, they smoothed out some of the harshness i was getting in high gain sounds. but it's been so long since i swapped the stock 6L6s out that i can't remember exactly. i'm almost certain the change was not night and day (or i would remember more about it :) ).

if you do try a mix, report back on how it sounds. i've got recorded clips of my Mark V with 6L6s and then with 5881s; i should go back and listen to them sometime.

As long as they arent true,older 5881's,you wont "blow yourself up".A real 5881 cant take the plate volts or current of modern Mesa amps,and wont last long.The current production Sovteks are built to 6L6GC specs so they will work,but are they really 5881's?Also,be sure they bias up properly in your amp.

stokes said:
As long as they arent true,older 5881's,you wont "blow yourself up".A real 5881 cant take the plate volts or current of modern Mesa amps,and wont last long.The current production Sovteks are built to 6L6GC specs so they will work,but are they really 5881's?Also,be sure they bias up properly in your amp.
Thanks, Stokes. I was thinking of going either Mesa of Groove Tubes.

I ran Boogie 5881's in two outside sockets and Tad 6l6GC in the inside and noticed it took a lot of bee hive away from my Dual, but still had enough glassiness to keep me happy. the Sovtek's are supposed to be supper rugged tubes designed for MIG fighter jets, or so I have read on the wonder web. Used alone they were to dark, but mixed with another 6L6 set they did the trick.

fishyfishfish said:
I ran Boogie 5881's in two outside sockets and Tad 6l6GC in the inside and noticed it took a lot of bee hive away from my Dual, but still had enough glassiness to keep me happy. the Sovtek's are supposed to be supper rugged tubes designed for MIG fighter jets, or so I have read on the wonder web. Used alone they were to dark, but mixed with another 6L6 set they did the trick.
Thanks....very helpful.

btw...I get a chuckle everytime I see your board name! What's the reference?

I haven't tried a quad of 5881s in my Roadster head before, but I do in my 5150. The differences between that and the 6L6s is that the 5881s make the tone more compressed, and the "edges" more round and tubby. Kinda like those old school Fender Twins. The compression is not like stupidly compressed, but it does sound more compressed than the 6L6s, especially at higher volumes...

KH Guitar Freak said:
I haven't tried a quad of 5881s in my Roadster head before, but I do in my 5150. The differences between that and the 6L6s is that the 5881s make the tone more compressed, and the "edges" more round and tubby. Kinda like those old school Fender Twins. The compression is not like stupidly compressed, but it does sound more compressed than the 6L6s, especially at higher volumes...
Great info...thanks.

I went on long range tuna trip and came back with about 1,000 pounds of frozen fish in the back of my work truck. Framing crews can be creative when it comes to nick-names so it just stuck. I'm just glad it wasn't cats.

Latest posts

Back