Another Studio Pre or a Quad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkiernan

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I currently have a Mesa Studio Pre which I love but I need a more versatile setup. I was considering adding a second Studio Pre and using one for my clean/light gain tone and one for my high gain/lead tone, however just as I was about to buy it I spotted a Mesa Quad online for 250 euro more. Should I just add a second Studio Pre to my rig or should I splash out on the Quad?

If you've got the money go with the quad, you'll have almost the same tone but one more channel.

Another option but it's a fairly more expensive one is to get a Triaxis. The dynamics on the Triaxis can't compare to that of a real amp, or even the Quad Preamp, but it's so versatile that you can make up for it by making more presets or presets that use a CC pedal to change the gain/tone.

A quad is 3 spaces by itself, and is one of the reasons I sold mine, so without a power amp your rack has to consist of 5 spaces for 6 channels.....You might as well get a Mark IV and be don't with it.

I currently own a Mark IV and a Triaxis preamp (the best of both worlds for sure!) and I don't want to give up either. If i had to choose one or the other I might keep the TA since I got it for a bargain and go with a studio pre to have something with bettter dynamics. For right now I can afford to have both and will continue to do so as long as it's possible.

Greg

Cheers guys! I was considering a Triaxis but they are stupidly expensive in Europe, starting at 1,400 euro second hand (over $2000). I bought the Quad, from the pictures it seems practically mint and it was going for a great price so I couldnt pass it up and it should fulfill my preamp needs :)

1. get the Quad and a Mesa SimulClass Power Amp. (this is the Boogie Board after all :D )

2. get a TubeScreamer (TS-808, TS-9, Analogman, Keeley, Maxon, BBE) or a BB preamp pedal. I use a Analogman modfied TS-9 with my Studio Pre and I have the following options:

a. Studio clean channel
b. Studio clean channel plus TS (less gain than lead channel)
c. Studio lead channel
d. Studio lead channel plus TS (heavy gain)

= 4 "rhythm" channels. I have the TS set so that it adds less gain than the lead channel and so the volume stays consistent. I also have the volume balanced between the Studio Pre's clean and lead channels so that my volume is the same no matter what combination I use above. And I use the Studio Pre's EQ to boost any of those settings to a "lead mode". See the Vintage Amp threads for people who use a TS-9 or a BB preamp pedal with their Mark IVs.

You'll get more versatility with a quad and you'll be using less rack spaces than having two studio pres. It's a matter of if you will like the second channel of the qaud enough to justify having it. The lead mode on channel 2 sounds quite similar to the lead on channel 1 except maybe for a difference in aggressiveness. I think there is a huge difference though between the two rhythm modes of each channel. Rhythm 1 is very fender clean and Rhythm 2 leans more towards mid-gain crunch.

Also, you get more push/pull functions on the Quad... I think these bring that amp to a different level and are really important.

The whole quad deal fell through unfortunately, but I'm getting a great deal on a Racktifier which more than makes up for it :D

racktifiers seem to have something magic, if you like the recto sound I think you'll be happy with it

Back