Is a 5050 modded to be voiced for Triaxis still good with the Studio Pre or no?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mealworms

Reaction score
Is a 5050 modded to be voiced for Triaxis still good with the Studio Pre or no?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, this isn't my wheelhouse.

99% positive it was the standard mod Mesa outlined how to be done.

I’ve had this 5050 sitting waiting to be used for a while and realized a year late the reverb listing said it was modded. OOPS.

Should I get my tech to reverse the 5050 mod?

Studio Pre is stock.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to fire it up tomorrow.

I'm a little more inclined to want to hear the combo as originally intended.

Just been using the studio pre into recording interface for direct guitar signal I mix with a mic'd M-V25 into greenbacks.

Was going to try and rack it up and throw it on a cab because I need some extra headroom for my pedal set up I think my M-V25 is incapable of without squashing a bit.

I spend whole weekends tweaking an amp EQ to set it and let it forever afterwards when I find it. The OCD in me wants to hear what I thought I bought.

I have a factory modified 50/50 with the FAT mod, I love it, and used it with my Studio preamp, I sold the preamp but the 5050 sounds great with anything I use it with :)

I have a factory modified 50/50 with the FAT mod (Done at the Mesa Factory before I bought it), I love it, and used it with my Studio preamp, I sold the preamp but the 5050 sounds great with anything I use it with :)

I have had both versions, the FAT mod is fatter sounding but still clear. They take out a resistor and put in a choke, and on the 1st 12ax7 the change out the 1.5k cathode resistor to a 2.7k for a smoother tone and add a .003 cap on the presence control circuit if I remember correctly, Ill look for the schematic. It sounds beefier with the fat mod, sounded great with my Studio preamp, though I modified my Studio pre to be more like a IIC+, they claim it already is a IIC+, but its more like a Mark III stock, mine was anyway. Just looked at the Rev C version schematic and it came from the factory with these updates, mine is the earlier version from the late 80's. So if you wanted to reverse yours to the early version, those mods can be reversed following the early schematic.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/50-50-deep-mod.55963/

Last edited:
I have a factory modified 50/50 with the FAT mod (Done at the Mesa Factory before I bought it), I love it, and used it with my Studio preamp, I sold the preamp but the 5050 sounds great with anything I use it with :)

I have had both versions, the FAT mod is fatter sounding but still clear. They take out a resistor and put in a choke, and on the 1st 12ax7 the change out the 1.5k cathode resistor to a 2.7k for a smoother tone and add a .003 cap on the presence control circuit if I remember correctly, Ill look for the schematic. It sounds beefier with the fat mod, sounded great with my Studio preamp, though I modified my Studio pre to be more like a IIC+, they claim it already is a IIC+, but its more like a Mark III stock, mine was anyway. Just looked at the Rev C version schematic and it came from the factory with these updates, mine is the earlier version from the late 80's. So if you wanted to reverse yours to the early version, those mods can be reversed following the early schematic.
awesome can you post the schematic?

Back