Advice on sending '83 MKIIB back to Mesa for some TLC...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyChops

Reaction score
I've decided that my old friend needs to go back to Mesa for TLC.
I'm looking for some advice from those of you have done this recently.
What is the procedure?
Any packing tips?

I'm guessing I remove the tray from the cabinet..remove the tubes send them along?
I wonder what the chance is that Mike B. would do the work??
How long does it take ?

Anyway, I just like to hear from some who have experience with this to get me on the right track.

Thanks in advance!
-rc

Have you called them yet? If not, you should call customer service (only open Monday-Thursday) and find out the turnaround time. They will tell you all the steps and all the info they can. Your general plan is right, though, to just send the chassis, with tubes removed.

Now that i live in Petaluma, I can just drop my gear off.......

Cheers and good luck.
Brent

i simply found a local technician that was an authorized boogie repairman.

he did a full tune up and cap job for me, and a little custom work as well, for WAY cheaper, than it would have been to ship my MKIIb head back to petaluma....

have you considered that?

That's also a great idea.
Or, contact Monsta-Tone here on the board. He's a mesa authorized service center, and does great work.

No doubt faster and cheaper than MB.

Thanks for all the input.

I haven't checked with Mesa yet for an RA or other info...wanted a little feedback from those of you with experience with this..
I live in Atlanta and not sure there is a good qualified tech to do this job around here..at least I don't know of one!
I know what they say about boogies not being rocket science..but she's my baby- had it for 25 years --- I've used many other amps over the years and had a few nightmare repairs on those so maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing...

I just want it to sound like it used to and now it doesn't...argh!

I don't want to just throw money away..but seems there's something mystical about sending it back to Mesa to be brought back from the brink!!

Anyone from my area had any dealings with authorized Mesa techs here??

I have sent my Mark III (last July) and my Mark IIC+ ( just this spring) to mesa in Petaluma. I talked to Rich and received my RA numbers. I was fortunate to have Mike B do the service/mod work on both of my returns. I talked to Mike B. several times (he called my cell) throughout both of their re-births. I ordered a cabinet from the woodworking shop. They called me too. Then when it was time to ship I talked to (ugh! I forgot his name..) but he was very nice and discussed shipping and dates. I was always kept up to date and informed of any choices that needed to be made.

I can tell you based on my "many other parts etc. orders" that I have had with Mesa in Petaluma (the factory) that they are very easy to deal with. Their customer service is the best I have ever had in any other facet of life.

I wrapped the amp chassis in lots of bubble wrap. (Many times around...) and packaged the tubes separately with bubble wrap as well. Use a stong weight rated box and lots of re-inforced tape. Mark it "fragile" and insure it to the high heaven.

I wish you well,
Russ

RustyChops said:
JimAnsell said:
just send it to the guy who knows it best.
you know who.

...ya that's been my thinkin' too :D

When you send the chassis back to Mike, it is advisable to include the reverb tank as well.
Regards

i'm pretty sure i got the whole shebang done, for no more than what you'll pay for just the shipping.

any good repairman can do the work.

So, what did you end up doing? I live on the east coast also and had been contemplating this as well.
If anyone has sent it to them, what was the general cost involved outside of shipping?

I also have heard that they will ship new boxes, screens, etc. for customers even for old boxes (i have a IIb). I may get in touch with them about something like that also, but I'm trying to figure out all the options.

I wouldn't put down local tech's since I have no experience with them. I can tell you that the service you get from Mesa is without equal,period.
Mike B. performed a cap job on my MKIIB and performed the FX Loop mod (highly recommend) and it cost me right at $500. I simply could not believe the way the amp sounded (good) on it's return. My friends all like it so much that it's become a regular at a local jam session. We're all learning to do without pedals and learning to play the amp.
My MKIIC+ is in with him now. He called today to tell me he's finished with it and wanted to verify shipping instructions following the burn in and play test. I may get it back before the weekend ! (woo-hoo!) The cap job and cleaning cost me about $200. Shipping and insurance about $65.
For years I have peformed cap jobs and minor repairs ( I don't own an ocilliscope) on Music Man amps and Fenders. I certainly could do the same with the Boogies, however, I choose to trust the dude who was there when it was built. How could anyone claim to know more about these amps than the guy who helped design and then build them. He's been there doing this since the late '60's !
You can send your amp anywhere you want and get good service I'm sure, but you can only send it one place and have the fellow that checked it out before it left the factory the first time, take a second look at it. I trust him completely.
You will need to call and get an RA before you ship it, this gets your paperwork started. Turnaround time varies with the workload. My IIB was in and out in a week ! The C+ has taken three because it arrived just as Mike was returning from vacation and he had a lot of work awaiting him. But he told me it would and for that reason.
Call them, get your Return Authorization and they will instruct you how and what to pack. Relax, when you hear it on it's return it will be like going back in time, maybe even better than you remember it. :D
See 'ya, Jim

Back