A Crazy Trade?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm91

Reaction score
Curiousity has almost gotten the best of me:

Would I be crazy to trade my Mark III, Mark IV and EV-loaded Thiele for a Mark IIC+ (preferably loaded... if not all, EQ at least)?

Is there anyone crazy enough to trade a C+ with me? :twisted:

Boogiebabies said:
Not a chance in hell, unless Forrest Gump is a C+ owner.

Just goes to show the rep of the C+ despite an offer of two VERY respectable amps in their own right.

One day I'll come across one. I'd like to try one if anyone owns one in the Philly (commutable) area.

You mean , Mk3+Mk4 != Mk2C+ ?

.........What is the math of tone ? :lol:

Buddy said:
You mean , Mk3+Mk4 != Mk2C+ ?

.........What is the math of tone ? :lol:

There is none nor did I infer any. I think the more appropriate question (and little test that this thread proves to be) is the price of tone.

The price of tone ?

If I told you what I have invested in my three Simul-EQ-Reverb's, two in hardwood, you would weep for a week. I got on the C+ band wagon in 1985, so the tone was very affordable, but intolerable for my patience.

I have $ 479.00 in the MK III Green Stripe and $ 750 in a mint 12/94 MK IVB. Again, very affordable thanks to the stooges at GC. :D

From strictly a money standpoint:

$1,300 Used Mk IV
800 Used MkIII
300 C90 loaded Thiele
$2,400 Approximate cash value of your used gear, maybe $2,600.

You could probably find a loaded production C+ in the $3k to $3,500 range; considerably less for an upgrade. So from a dollar standpoint you'd take the trade for a produiction C+. HOWEVER, with the III, IV and Thiele you cover much more ground, and can come close to the C+'s tone. I happen to prefer the sound of the C over the other models, but I still get a kick when I fire up the Mark IV. It can do things the C's don't, and covers way more ground. Be patient and one will come your way.

dodger916 said:
From strictly a money standpoint:

$1,300 Used Mk IV
800 Used MkIII
300 C90 loaded Thiele
$2,400 Approximate cash value of your used gear, maybe $2,600.

You could probably find a loaded production C+ in the $3k to $3,500 range; considerably less for an upgrade. So from a dollar standpoint you'd take the trade for a produiction C+. HOWEVER, with the III, IV and Thiele you cover much more ground, and can come close to the C+'s tone. I happen to prefer the sound of the C over the other models, but I still get a kick when I fire up the Mark IV. It can do things the C's don't, and covers way more ground. Be patient and one will come your way.

Going by those prices, a person could sell that stuff, buy a C modded to + like this one that you could probably get for several hundred less since this is the third time he's relisted it;

http://tinyurl.com/387pgg

and still have money left over to send it to Mike B to have it tuned up. It may not have the extreme collectability of the 12,500-14,000 serial number MkIIC+s but it'll have 100% of the tone, and that's the most important part IMHO.

**edited to clean up long url**

dodger916 said:
I happen to prefer the sound of the C over the other models, but I still get a kick when I fire up the Mark IV. It can do things the C's don't, and covers way more ground. Be patient and one will come your way.

You hit on a point that I am making. Nevertheless, I would love to try a C/C+

Oh, and my Thiele is EV-loaded :p

i have to say that the mk III/mk IV for a C+ sounds like a good deal were i come from but the likelihood of anyone finding another C+ is now Very Very slim....and mk IV's and mk III's are plentiful..So thats a no from Aus..ahha

bpm91 said:
dodger916 said:
I happen to prefer the sound of the C over the other models, but I still get a kick when I fire up the Mark IV. It can do things the C's don't, and covers way more ground. Be patient and one will come your way.

Well, where do you live ? I have three and Frank just stole one. I'm sure the Alabama Mesa Mafia would let you play one under armed guard. They also have a bad *** Jet Black Buick Grand National to chase you down in. It's fast SOB !!!

Boogiebabies said:
bpm91 said:
dodger916 said:

Well, where do you live ? I have three and Frank just stole one. I'm sure the Alabama Mesa Mafia would let you play one under armed guard. They also have a bad *** Jet Black Buick Grand National to chase you down in. It's fast SOB !!!

Yeah, like I'm going to run away with a 90lb tank. I live in Philly. Alabama is a bit of a hike for me.

However, I was hoping to see Pyschodave's mammoth head/combo/cab collection soon.

Boogiebabies said:

DSC03186.jpg

Not near as fast as this SOB!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JOEY B. said:
Boogiebabies said:

DSC03186.jpg

Not near as fast as this SOB!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You shooting Marbles out of that, or what are those bullets?? :?:

adrenaline junkie said:
You shooting Marbles out of that, or what are those bullets?? :?:

Do a google search for "Glaser Safety Slug" and you will see. The perfect .44 Magnum ammo for amp theives. Just one side to the story, and I live two blocks from the city hospital. :twisted: So as not to be a total hijack, if the MkII,III, and IV were all the same price, I'd keep my MkII's. But that's just my opinion and ears. If you are mainly a metal player, there won't be near as much difference in the tone of these amps, except for the options.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
If the Mark IIC+ is better than the III and IV, why did they stop making them? :?

Certainly a little different, but Better is a matter of personal preference. Styles change, people want something new, engineers feel the need to push the envelope and "improve" their products while offering something new and exciting like a three channel amp, marketing pressures, etc.. After all, Invention is the Mother of Necessity!! It's what drives our consumer-oriented culture.

The Mark sound has been evolving for nearly 40 years(!), and the C+ was one step in its evolution. I think Mesa has tried to incorporate the Sound into the III and IV while making them more versatile. The III and IV are great amps, and some prefer them to the C+. The folks here love the C+, hence all the praise. The Recto crowd might say "what's all the fuss about"!

Boogiebabies said:
They also have a bad *** Jet Black Buick Grand National to chase you down in. It's fast SOB !!!

awwww yeah :) turning is for girls. it's not a GNX, is it?

if it is, it'd be worth trying to steal the C+ and getting away in the GNX :twisted:

Latest posts

Back