.50 Caliber + Gain/Volume mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenF

Reaction score
I read where people discuss a mod giving the 50 cal+ independent gain and volume controls.

Does anyone have a schematic for this mod? I have the schematic for the amp, and already done multiple repairs and am very capable of performing it. But I wanted to know the mod everyone else has been hinting about and doing. And leverage all the other testing and revisions that may have happened along the way.

Stephen

I added a gain pot to mine. I just put a 1 meg pot between the .001 cap off of pin 1&6 and the LDR. that conects to pin 2 of V2A.

Ah ha. You have inspired me to look at the schematic, and figure some out for myself....

If I replicate the input gain control used on clean channel (V2 input pot) onto V1 (lead channel pre-amp), post LDR1, relative to input jack, it should be perfect. Master gain control will still affect Lead channel. Just like Volume, but lead gain and volume should be easier to tweak, together with clean (master) controls.

My only 2 gripes with the 50 cal, is the massive difference in channel gain and tone between lead and clean. Difficult to get a good clean and lead, without having to twist knobs between switching. Tweaking the lead pre-amp, with this mod and maybe test some caps out to let more mid/lows through on lead, may get what I want. Am guessing there's some simple mods out there that switch in filter caps for different "voicings" on lead channel.

Hmmmm...now, I have to wait till Feb till I get home and am able to try some ideas out.

Stephen

Latest posts

Back