2:90 died on stage! HELP!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarz69

Reaction score
The other night at a gig my 2:90 fried. A few minutes before it happened I could smell something burning. Then in the middle of a song the ugly sound of silence kicked in. My whole band looks at me in shock in front of packed house. Man that sucked! However I was running a POD Pro Xt for my pre and just pulled to mic cables and ran it direct into the board. I hate the sound of it running direct but it saved the gig. While I was back there I noticed how extremely hot the amp was. Easily could have fried an egg on it hot.
After the gig I got back to my studio and pulled the tubes to check the fuses. Both rear fuses where solid black. I knew I needed new tubes. I haven't changed them in almost a year and I play the amp around 20 hours a week. So basicly, ya I'm a freaking idiot. But to my defence, I haven't much money lately. 8 6L6's in matching quads are not cheap.
My question is: Would a blown tube cause both fuses to blow? Does this sound like something more serious? Also does anyone know what amp these fuses are? I can only make the letters "AGC" and 250Volts. There are no mentioning of this in the manual. I'm hoping I can fix it myself with tube and fuse replacement. Any recomendation on tubes replacement including the 3 12ax7a's would be great. Thanks for your time.

If you are not up to electronically checking the amp yourself.....I would take it to a qualified tech. Very bad things can happen when output tubes blow.....you could very well have damaged the OT or other related parts in the output section.....and you may not....depending on what happened.

I would not just throw tubes at it and turn it back on.....you may do more damage than good. As a precaution, I would have somebody look at it.....something burning usually means damaged components and they would have to be replaced.

If you care about your amp and your pocket book......get it checked out.

Cheers,
-Luigi

You should try visiting Eurotubes where it's possible to buy a full Retube For The Mesa 290

PRICE: 148.00
DESC: Includes a matched octet of the JJ 6L6GC's in a hotter grade to get that cold factory bias up a little and three matched and balanced ECC83S's for the front end gets you a big fat pure tone.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=57

Latest posts

Back