100V input safe for a Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I see this attenuator Im looking at-:

http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/

Its got a fixed 100V AC tap on its output, claims this protects amplifier components and tubes.

Is plugging my electradyne into 100V AC safe for the amp?

Dropping the AC voltage is an old trick. EVH is famous for it and claims that to be the secret for his "Brown" sound.

Most Mesa amps come with a variac, usually labeled "Spongy" or "Tweed". They drop the AC voltage to around 90V.

I don't think you'll damage your amp, but it will change the tone of your amp and it may not be for the better. Maybe that is why Mesa did not incorporate the variac into the Electradyne in the first place.

To be absolutely sure, I would ask Mesa if it is OK, and why there is no Variac on the 'Dyne.

BTW- $600.00 is a lot of money for an attenuator.

Dom

bsic said:
I see this attenuator Im looking at-:

http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/

Its got a fixed 100V AC tap on its output, claims this protects amplifier components and tubes.
...from the over-high impedance load of this unit.

Is plugging my electradyne into 100V AC safe for the amp?
Probably... but plugging it into that unit might not be.

domct203 said:
BTW- $600.00 is a lot of money for an attenuator.
That's because it's not an attenuator - or not in the normal sense anyway.

It's a fixed dummy load of about 30 ohms (which is too high for any amp except one with a 16-ohm tap) feeding a solid-state emitter-follower power amp. The higher than normal impedance load will cause larger than normal flyback voltages to be developed in the amp's OT and tubes, which can cause arcing and damage. Running the amp at 100V will reduce all its internal voltages and will reduce the risk a bit - and conveniently, because it also contains a solid-state amp, it has to be AC-powered... hence having its own power transformer, which they can fit with a 100VAC tap on it.

If you must use it, run the amp at 16 ohms only.

Back