Yellow jackets in a MKIV GREAT! IMHO

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
This is a FYI for any MKIV users. I found my 1x12 MKIV combo to be to loud for most gigs and way to loud at home. I tried Attenuators, class A , 6V6, etc. The best way for me has been Yellow jackets on the outside tube sockets. At home I'm running the amp in class A which is just running two YJ(EL84's) . It reminds me of the LSS in 5 watt mode sound. With the band I'm able to stay in this mode and get by, but on most gigs I kick it into simulclass (adds the two 6l6's) for more headroom and a lot more volume and punch. The two YJ have stopped my ears from ringing at home and given me lower volume but still great tone. I was thinking of buying a LSS for small gigs and playing at home, but not any more.

What style of music? Will this damage the Mark IV in a-class. I tried the 6v6 thing too and didn't like it for hard rock/metal. Great AC/DC type tone in Rythm 2 but I thought the lead channel sounded terrible. Maybe I didn't tweak enough. I used to have the DC-3 and loved it but couldn't justify both amps.

Last question would be will the yellow jackets fit in the head version?

I emailed THD regarding using yellow jackets in a MKIV and they said you can use them in any setting on the MKIV without damaging the amp. They also said that the amp will only be 3db lower in volume as compared with the regular 6L6 or 6L6/EL34 combination. This seems to contradict what you are saying. They said if you want lower volume you need the attenuator. I'm wondering if they just want to sell the more expensive attenuator? hmmmm How are the cleans with the YJ EL84's? What is L2 like with them? Do you still get the Boogie smooth lead tone or does it start to sound more like a British Marshall/Vox?

In class a the volume is low enough for my house and is a lot lower in volume then when i was running 6l6's and el34's in class A. I would suggest trying the cheaper route of YJ's before you buy any attenuator. I have had the THD HP and the marshall PB100 and I just bought the Weber Mass lite. I like the Mass lite the best tone wise, compared to the HP and PB100, but I still don"t like the tone of attenuators. Unfortunately It took me a lot of time and money to find this out. Still this is just my opinion and some people love them. I play classic rock and love the Marshall tone and old Fenders and Vox tones. The el84's lower your headroom a lot and give the amp more of a marshal vox type tone. Also the lead tone is still killer with the YJ's. when i put the amp back to simulclass with the YJ's and 6l6's all the volume and punch is back. I really like this set up with my MKIV. I also called THD and they said no problems in the MKIV.

I keep telling myself to get those YJs. I have some old black plate 6BQ5s (EL84s) from the 60s that keep tempting me. Thanks for the heads up jamme61.

Russ said:
I keep telling myself to get those YJs. I have some old black plate 6BQ5s (EL84s) from the 60s that keep tempting me. Thanks for the heads up jamme61.
That's great! let me know how they sound. I'm only running two YJ's but I'm thinking of adding two more.

Back