Widebody Thiele??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
On Sweetwater's website, I saw that they had a widebody thiele listed. Is this something new that Mesa is making or something exclusive to Sweetwater? I haven't seen it on their price list??? Can anyone comment on how it compares to the compact Thiele? Thanks!

Matt

They were released early 2009, I think for the Mark V. Some has one and posted in the modern section 2-3 months ago.

Thanks Reilly, I'll look it up. What makes you say that they're not "real Thieles", George?

Matt

Theile cabs are built to specific specs, the dimensions of the widebody do not conform to theile parameters. The new widebody is a closed back version of the older widebody, and has ports in the front (like subwoofer enclosures) to increase the base response being projected from the front.

Anyone know the exact dimensions of the Widebody Thiele?

If it's significantly shallower (front to back) than the older Thiele, it could have the same internal volume. Of course, from the various pics it looks to have a significantly bigger volume...

The triangular port also looks as though it could have the same volume as the old rectangular port, which would mean it's tuned to the same frequency as the old port.

All this means the cab could be tuned to be the same as the old design. :mrgreen:

Enough highlighted "coulds" in the previous few paragraphs for y'all? :wink: :lol:

Of course, even if it's tuned exactly the same as the older design, all that gets tossed out the window, since it doesn't use an EVM12L speaker. 8)

gts said:
dmcguitar's description is accurate but Fwiw it only has one port.
And it's kind of an odd looking port too as it's a triangular shape.
There were some pics on the board with the grille off showing exactly what it looked like...

ok found some, these are primeholy's pics on photobucket:

CIMG1030.jpg

:shock: That is beautifull!

http://store.mesahollywood.com/0-txcbb-w.html

This is the reason i thought the ported wide body had two ports. I wonder if they tried making it 2 different ways and found one better, or if they offer both

Here's my take on this: A "theile" or specifically a a Theile/Small tuned speaker cabinet is designed around parameters of a certain driver ie. EVM 12L.
Each different driver has several specific parameters such as 1. free air resonance shown in Hz. 2. displacement ( the amount of air displaced by the physical shape and size of the driver shown in Qts.) and several other pertinant measurements including Vas (the internal volume of the cab)

The whole idea of the "theile/small" ported cabinet is to create a certain "back pressure" on the sound wave at a desired frequency, enough so that the sound wave produced by the backward motion of the cone will be delayed by one half cycle and as it comes out the port will be in phase with the forward motion of the cone thus increasing the sound pressure level at the tuned frequency. It is the INTERNAL AIR SPACE of the cabinet and the exact AIR FLOW VOLUME of the port that is responsible for this sound wave delay and phasing. Not necessarily the SHAPE of the cabinet. Therefore it is possible (TO A CERTAIN DEGREE) to put a driver in a cabinet and tune the cabinet to a certain resonant frequency and driver by calculating the LENGTH AND DIAMETER of the port. Usually a CIRCULAR TUBE. Once the dimensions of the port are established you can esentially squish the circular port into a square or say a triangle or a reqtangle as long as it is the same length and flows the same volume of air as the tubular port. Also as long as the INTERNAL AIRSPACE of the cabinet is maintained, you can also adjust the SHAPE of the cabinet to accomodate different applications. Google up theile/small parameters and speaker cabinet design and learn much more.

Latest posts

Back