Why are Mesa's thumped on all the boards???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitarzan said:
JOEY B. said:
When I tried the MkIV, I printed off the manual, read it cover to cover, THEN played the amp. Instant whip-*** lead tone in a matter of seconds... These bashers of the Boogie are just inexperienced and don't care to learn IMO.

I completely agree... We see this trend even with the noobs that come here.

This is exactly what I did. I read the manual from cover to cover BEFORE I even turned the amp on. It also helps that I'm pretty familiar with the Mark series.

Pinweaver said:
reo73 said:
The only complaint I usually hear about the Mark IV is too many knobs.
Which is rather funny, since if you ask most Mark 4 owners what they would like to see changed, they'd ask for even more knobs. Separate bass and mid for ch1 and 2, classA - classA/B - simul switch. etc...
Dam straight Pinweaver!!!

JOEY B. said:
phyrexia said:
They can't be dialed in like fenders and marshalls. So when Joe Schmoe sits in front of one for three minutes and can't get it to sound good as he pussypicks on the sh!t epiphone he's playing, he gives up and plays the Marshall.

These amps require a different approach to tone setting, with the Mark series being the most difficult for a Marshall, Peavy, etc. player to understand. All the talk about the MkIV being hard to learn is from people that are not used to setting up a MkI,II or III. When I tried the MkIV, I printed off the manual, read it cover to cover, THEN played the amp. Instant whip-*** lead tone in a matter of seconds. R2 was a bit more tricky. But then again, I have been playing Boogie amps nearly 20 years now. These bashers of the Boogie are just inexperienced and don't care to learn IMO.

Yup. The bashsers either a) are inept and don't even understand "how" to shape tone because of their very rudimentary understanding of what BassMidTreb are or, b) don't want to learn how to use a Mesa.

The *fact* that mesas require a diff approach to tone shaping is a fact that the naysayers use against them; we who've taken the time to learn them know Mesa's tone stacks are a huge PLUS. But we took the time.

Of course, anyone can dislike any amp according to the tone; fair and fine! But the broad stroke that the "haters" paint all Boogies with speaks more of ignorance than tonal discernment.

Edward

edward said:
Yup. The bashsers either a) are inept and don't even understand "how" to shape tone because of their very rudimentary understanding of what BassMidTreb are or, b) don't want to learn how to use a Mesa.

The *fact* that mesas require a diff approach to tone shaping is a fact that the naysayers use against them; we who've taken the time to learn them know Mesa's tone stacks are a huge PLUS. But we took the time.

Of course, anyone can dislike any amp according to the tone; fair and fine! But the broad stroke that the "haters" paint all Boogies with speaks more of ignorance than tonal discernment.

Edward

Well put. :!:

I'm not saying I don't like Mesa because I love them. And the LSC is probably my favorite Mesa amp. I just don't think that they are the greatest amps ever made.

sgtbaker said:
I'm not saying I don't like Mesa because I love them. And the LSC is probably my favorite Mesa amp. I just don't think that they are the greatest amps ever made.

Statement respected.

Maybe not ever made, but the best quality construction available for the price.

I've got several Vintage Fenders, but seem to play my Mesa's more. This in no way implies that they sound better, which would be a subjective opinion anyway. It merely states that there are more tonal opportunities from my Mesa amps ( :D and my Soldano) than my Vintage amps. I have many friends who play Plexis and other vintage Marshalls as well, where would the Allman Bros be without Plexi amps?

The fact is though, that die hard fans of other brands talk a lot of smack about Mesa when they could just say that the one they tried didn't suit their needs.

I have had 2 TSL-122 Marshalls and have worked on several. They are without a doubt the most poorly put together pieces of garbage for the price that I have ever worked on. In fact, I have 3 Crate tube amps in my store that are at least $900 cheaper than the TSL and much higher build quality. Granted, the TSL sounds VERY nice when it works, but it is extremely unreliable.

All of this being said, I don't put Marshall down for much, other than the build quality of the TSL's. I would and have and still will own Marshalls in the future.

:D Especially a Plexi or 2 if I could afford it. :D

sgtbaker said:
Well Mesa can never match the cleans of the Marshall Plexi's and early Blackface Fender Bassman..
These amps will remain my favorite amp tones.

But to me tonewise MESA Boogies' Mark IVs or Road Kings could match about 70% of any tube amps' tone out there because of its tone controls and gain controls, so versatile. Just saturating the output transformers and different power stage tube drive, and maybe point-to-point wiring is the major different why these Boogie can't completely 100% match these other amps' tonewise. But it gets the closest than any other amps out there. Even better than the Line6 which claims to mimic other guitar amps (what a joke).

Say you want a Dumble amp from a Boogie, you could dial / play with the tones, gain controls and get perhaps 70% of the Dumble tones I would think. I heard some of Santana's current work. I cannot tell he's using Dumble or one of his MESA's. He claims Michelle Branch's "Game of Love" was done with a MESA Boogie's Mark-something. Of course Santana has his trade-mark tone but to me, I could not tell if its from his Boogies or from his Dumble. :?

Monsta-Tone said:

Maybe not ever made, but the best quality construction available for the price.

I've got several Vintage Fenders, but seem to play my Mesa's more. This in no way implies that they sound better, which would be a subjective opinion anyway. It merely states that there are more tonal opportunities from my Mesa amps ( :D and my Soldano) than my Vintage amps. I have many friends who play Plexis and other vintage Marshalls as well, where would the Allman Bros be without Plexi amps?

The fact is though, that die hard fans of other brands talk a lot of smack about Mesa when they could just say that the one they tried didn't suit their needs.

I have had 2 TSL-122 Marshalls and have worked on several. They are without a doubt the most poorly put together pieces of garbage for the price that I have ever worked on. In fact, I have 3 Crate tube amps in my store that are at least $900 cheaper than the TSL and much higher build quality. Granted, the TSL sounds VERY nice when it works, but it is extremely unreliable.

All of this being said, I don't put Marshall down for much, other than the build quality of the TSL's. I would and have and still will own Marshalls in the future.

:D Especially a Plexi or 2 if I could afford it. :D

I've already had to replace the OT in my JCM 2K DSL 50W.

Monsta-Tone said:

I totally agree. The newer Marshalls (JCM 2000, JVM, etc.) are awful. Mesa is not my favorite amp, but I would never put them down.

Exactly my point, unfortunately.

Marshall seems to be aiming in the Solid State direction, while trying to create the amps that made their name, while trying to compete with the other major players on the high-end/feature-rich frontier.

It saddens me greatly to see the TSL's and DSL's and the like because all it does is give them a bad reputation. I've owned several Vintage Marshalls too, including a Silver Jubilee and they were great, best One-Trick Ponies I have ever owned. But I don't think that the Marketing and R&D departments at Marshall are talking to their players or listening to the complaints of their Service Technicians.

:lol: Look at me, now I'm bashing Marshall. :D See what you started.

Monsta-Tone said:

Exactly my point, unfortunately.

Marshall seems to be aiming in the Solid State direction, while trying to create the amps that made their name, while trying to compete with the other major players on the high-end/feature-rich frontier.

It saddens me greatly to see the TSL's and DSL's and the like because all it does is give them a bad reputation. I've owned several Vintage Marshalls too, including a Silver Jubilee and they were great, best One-Trick Ponies I have ever owned. But I don't think that the Marketing and R&D departments at Marshall are talking to their players or listening to the complaints of their Service Technicians.

:lol: Look at me, now I'm bashing Marshall. :D See what you started.

You should have heard the foulness that eminated from my vocal oriface when it gave out on me at a gig.

Back