Who uses the THD Hot Plate with their duel/triple's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
I want to be able to drive my Duel harder at our gigs to get that sweet spot. Most of the place's we play I can't crank it enough to achieve that sweet spot.
Is this thing the answer? My duel is completly re-tubed from one of dougs set ups and I love the sound...when it's cranked!!

You'll get conflicting responses on this one.

The answer is that it's a trade off. You lose some tone when you attenuate but you gain much more by being able to crank it. The tone suck can be fixed with a proper EQ. That said, I use mine with my Dual Rec all the time.

I would recommend it. At real low volumes, of course, tone suffers. But, for your application you can "lock" in that sweet spot at a lower volume. Consider it like another effects box.

Hhmm...Well, the last thing I want to do is loose the tone I have goin on. I think I'll wait on this one. Thanks !

DirtyNoise said:
Hhmm...Well, the last thing I want to do is loose the tone I have goin on. I think I'll wait on this one. Thanks !

It's all a matter of taste/preference. Personally there's no way I need 100W of power, hell even one of my 30W class A combos is more than enough power for me. The problem is that w/ 100W you have to burn up a lot of headroom to get power amp distortion. I can't play my Dual without it because it's all preamp fizz/fuzz and no tone at lower/modest volumes in my opinion

I think you'd like it personally if you like your cranked tone but not your uncranked.. similar problem here which is why I bought one.

I think there are more complaints about the hotplate than there should be. First off you will lose tone if you attenuate over -8db, mostly due to the fact that there is a loss in speaker movement.

You should hardly notice, if at all, when you attenuate at -8 or -4db and have your channel masters around 12:00 and output at 12:00.

When I attenuate my RKII at -16db or greater is starts to sound like my Vox Solid State/Tube Hybrid Modeling Amp. You just aren't moving enough air!!! Kinda like listening to music on headphones.

Trust me the people who designed this thing I'm sure looked at the signal on a spectrum analyzer and then tweeked it till it looked the same(other than an even loss of amplitude per frequency component), when no attenuatuation was done.

I think its great for on stage volume control. It probably isn't going to sound that good for playing at home in the bedroom.

parsky1 said:
I think there are more complaints about the hotplate than there should be. First off you will lose tone if you attenuate over -8db, mostly due to the fact that there is a loss in speaker movement.

You should hardly notice, if at all, when you attenuate at -8 or -4db and have your channel masters around 12:00 and output at 12:00.

When I attenuate my RKII at -16db or greater is starts to sound like my Vox Solid State/Tube Hybrid Modeling Amp. You just aren't moving enough air!!! Kinda like listening to music on headphones.

Trust me the people who designed this thing I'm sure looked at the signal on a spectrum analyzer and then tweeked it till it looked the same(other than an even loss of amplitude per frequency component), when no attenuatuation was done.

I think its great for on stage volume control. It probably isn't going to sound that good for playing at home in the bedroom.

I certainly agree about the complaints, it's not a silver bullet but it does exactly what it advertises and the only thing I lose in my signal is high end which can be easily fixed with the bright switch.

Besides using a hotplate another good method is to pull out two of the tubes, this drops it down to 50 watts and you can get it to break up alot quicker.

If you use this method make sure to change your ohm settings, example if you are using a 8 ohm cab put it on the 4 ohm jack on the back of your amp. If you are using a 16 ohm cab put it on the 8 ohm jack on the back of your amp.
DirtyNoise said:
I want to be able to drive my Duel harder at our gigs to get that sweet spot. Most of the place's we play I can't crank it enough to achieve that sweet spot.
Is this thing the answer? My duel is completly re-tubed from one of dougs set ups and I love the sound...when it's cranked!!

You hit it right on the nose about the hot plates, i have a 8 ohm and 16 ohm and the highest i go is 8DB
parsky1 said:

Latest posts

Back