Who is using JJ 6V6's in their Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_meridian

Reaction score
I'm about to order some tubes from Bob over at Eurotubes, but I'm not sure if I should get the 6L6's with the GZ34's and run the amp in tube rectifier mode and EL-34 mode- or get the 6V6's instead of the 6L6's.

I want a nice clean tone and a heavy distorted tone. Bob thinks I shuld get the 6V6's, what do you guys think?

I am running the 6V6's and GZ34's in my triple rec and I love the tones I am getting from them. I also like the sound of the 6L6's but I found myself competing with the bass and I wanted tubes more pronounced in the upper registers. With the 6V6's I have acheived that. I also like the fact that the 6V6's tightened up the lower end and removed some of the slop/sag/mushiness associated with 6L6's. I was looking for a tone similiar to Petrucci and this is what Bob recommended to me also. In addition I purchased the high gain front end kit which I feel greatly improved my clean tone. In my opinion the clean channel is the weakness in my TR, but the combination of these tubes have resulted in the best clean tone I have got from my TR.

Hope this helps

FYI - I don't know about the Dual but Bob instructed me to use the EL34 mode when using 6V6's. No doubt he will give you all the info you need should you choose to purchase the 6V6's.

James Lee said:
I am running the 6V6's and GZ34's in my triple rec and I love the tones I am getting from them. I also like the sound of the 6L6's but I found myself competing with the bass and I wanted tubes more pronounced in the upper registers. With the 6V6's I have acheived that. I also like the fact that the 6V6's tightened up the lower end and removed some of the slop/sag/mushiness associated with 6L6's. I was looking for a tone similiar to Petrucci and this is what Bob recommended to me also. In addition I purchased the high gain front end kit which I feel greatly improved my clean tone. In my opinion the clean channel is the weakness in my TR, but the combination of these tubes have resulted in the best clean tone I have got from my TR.

Hope this helps

FYI - I don't know about the Dual but Bob instructed me to use the EL34 mode when using 6V6's. No doubt he will give you all the info you need should you choose to purchase the 6V6's.

well for distortion with a tigher bass response and better upper register harmonics El34s have that in spades, but your clean channel will probably sound even worse than it does now.

I have to admit, this is my first dealing with tubes. I have only had my TR for a few months now. Anything I have owned to this point has been SS. I am also considering buying EL34's just to see how that affects the sound. No soul, you may have changed my mind with your comment on the affects of the clean channel with EL34's. Being new to tubes I am curious as to the difference between all the options. What happens to the clean channel with EL34's?

Thanks for your insight

James Lee said:
Being new to tubes I am curious as to the difference between all the options. What happens to the clean channel with EL34's?

Thanks for your insight

simply put, EL34s are high-pitched compared to 6l6s. Really glassy, and almost brittle in the high end. For most folks, its not the tube of choice for clean sounds. The other thing is, as it breaks up earlier, you will loose even more headroom in your clean channel, so if you want sparkling cleans, it will take you even further from where you want to be.

Some folks actually do like el34 cleans though, who knows? Maybe you are one of em. Theres no wrong or right thoughts when it comes to your preference.

i always thought the EL34 cleans in a marshall sounded pretty "alive" and beautiful...

im a prospective Mesa owner and this thread is answering plenty of my questions about the tubes... im play on getting a dual rec and modding the hell out of it most likely...

Latest posts

Back