Who here DOESN'T use the "Classic V" grapic EQ set

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petejt

Reaction score
The "Classic V" seems to be the most popular graphic equaliser setting on the Mark series amps, for heavy high-gain distortion crunch.

I actually use a different setting, on my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV.
The tone is a lot more aggressive, sharp, and crunchy.

t0272h.jpg

I use mine different, its a little v like but not classic v
This is mine XD

1st Slider: Just a little over middle line some still on middle line
2nd Slider: Just below top not touching top
3rd Slider: Just above bottom line *Can see a few millimeters between line and bottom of slider
4th Slider: Just below middle line with some of slider on the middle line
5th Slider: Same as 2nd

Absolutely LOVE this sound XD

Wow, PeteJT, you must dislike mids!

I don't run mine in the classic V, I actually think it sounds pretty crappy like that - not enough midrange, sounds a little... I dunno, I just know I don't like it.

I run mine;
80 - bottom of the slider resting just above the middle line
240 - on the middle line
750 - halfway between middle and bottom lines
2200 - on the line
6600 - level with 750

Bear in mind this is set up for very smooth thick lead tones. I haven't tried too many wacky EQ curves other than the Metallica and Petrucci ones, and I ended up going back to this (which is kinda modelled off of the SFAM JP Mark IV settings).

Random Hero said:
I don't run mine in the classic V, I actually think it sounds pretty crappy like that - not enough midrange, sounds a little... I dunno, I just know I don't like it.

+1 Sounds nasal to me. My tinkering has resulted in an inverted "V":

80 - Midline
240 - slight boost, about 1/3 between mid and topline
750 - slightly more than 240, about 2/3 betwen mid and top
2200 - slightly more, about 3/4 to topline
6600 - midline

I find this setting gives me nice punchy, crunchy, articulate rhythms on R2 with gain at 6 (pulled), treble 4.5 and presence 4 (not pulled), played through a Strat.

It's hard to dial a "bad" or unuseable sound with a Mk IV!

I dial in the eq depending on what I am using it for. The lead channel without the EQ is pretty smooth and has plenty of mids so I use the GEQ to give me a different flavor. I have a shrunken V so as not to cut the mids and I adjust the 80hz to taste depending upon how i want to sit in the mix(This usually gets reduced below the 0 line).

An extremely scooped GEQ (like what pete posted) is not my cup of tea but taking some mids out is essential IMO to have some contrast to the lead channel without EQ.

Greg

On both my MkIII and DC5, the 750hz is flat, or just barely attenuated; the rest is a very mildly sculpted: the 80hz a bit below the upper mark, the 240hz and 2K just above flat, 6K flat or just below. I don't like scooped-mids metal ...my cleans, mild breakup, and OD need mids to cut through, which I like a lot. :)

Edward

Random Hero said:
Wow, PeteJT, you must dislike mids!

lol! hehe

I have the rotary mid control set at 5.5. I also engage the Lead Fat control so the low mids are boosted. Makes the tone really thick and powerful. 8)
The Pull Shift on the presence control is also engaged (pulled out).

It's just that I found the 240Hz was wrecking the tone I was aiming for, kind of dominating the sound, and darkening it too much. 750Hz is scooped also, of course.

I only use the graphic EQ for the Lead channel.

Actually, on my other amp, I have the midrange maxed, and when my parametric EQ arrives, that will be set to boost mids as well.

petejt said:
The "Classic V" seems to be the most popular graphic equaliser setting on the Mark series amps
I have to disagree. While it may be the most talked about setting, IMO it's neither "Classic" nor "the most popular". In fact most of the pro's I've seen that use Mk IV's (when you can get a glimpse of their eq's) don't use the V. I know I never have. My eq settings change all the time depending on the guitar, the song, the speaker, the room, etc. In addition to (or sometimes instead of) the onboard five band eq I also use an MXR M-108 ten band eq in the loop.

When I had a DC-3, I used the EQ in the classic V. On my MKIV, I use the EQ in a totally different way.

I've been able to get great sounds out of all 3 channels with NO eq. So what I've done is to use the EQ as a volume boost. In other words, raise all the sliders up to almost the top line, then when it's time for a solo, kick on the EQ. :D

I use more of a "W" shape. I started out using the "Classic V," but I was mainly screwing with the high gain metal sounds. After I had my fun with that, I found myself gradually decreasing the range of the V. Finally, I just put it in a slight W shape. This is what I use for a Gilbert/Vai/Satch sound. Gilbert-style pick sound comes through very nicely :)

I use what ever is needed to fit in the mix. The other instruments somewhat dictate what my tone is going to be.

One tone/EQ setting does not fit all !!!!! 3 piece bands excluded.....

i like the v...not the extreme v but still a v..sometimes at higher volumes drop the low and high sliders and add in the mid slider

I use a very minor V shape or sometimes, no graphic at all. The big V sounds really bad to me, like a big hole in the sound. this is the curve I use on my mark amps with some very slight variations when the music calls for it

grapheq.jpg

I use basically the same as Petrucci here:

jpmainamps2.jpg

80-moves from time to time depending on room
240-ALWAYS right above middle line; this slider NEVER moves
750-usually in between bottom and middle line
2200-this knob moves the most; It still doesn't have a set place
6600-again, this knob is always right above the middle line

I agree that the scooped V doesn't sound good at all. It just screams Metallica, which I've always hated.

petejt said:
I've also found that reducing the 240Hz can remove any muffledness, both with the MarkIV and other amps.

Another +1. For the music I play, the 240Hz slider is the control that makes or breaks whether the tone is suitable for high gain.

With the 240Hz slider down...the tone seems "drier", and "more lively". With the 240Hz slider up... the tone sounds "rain-soaked and muddy"...as if the "the tone is coming out of a box".

I'm sure other people are getting great tone with their rigs. This is all about my whole signal chain/style.

My buddy came over to play last night and plugged into my Subway Rocket, while I played my Mark III. He was coming through bright and crispy and I sounded like crap using my classic V settings. So I bumped 750 to a an M shape and bam both guitars sounded great. That is the beauty of the EQ. You may sound great with one pattern by yourself, but throw in a live room and other instruments and you really start to appreciate the subtle versatility EQ affords you to dial in the best sound for the situation. Phew, that was long winded.

Latest posts

Back