Who here DOESN'T use the "Classic V" grapic EQ set

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the eq of my Studio .22+ almost exactly like dodger916 has his. I only use it on the lead channel which I don't use very much. I have an Altec 417-8H speaker in mine, so that might be why I like it like that. It's a bright speaker and it sometimes can use a little extra mid range.

I hardly ever use my EQ with my little classic rock cover band. I use a modified V a lot for when I'm metalling out by myself but Mesa wasn't lying when they said the Mark IV can sound great without the EQ. The key is to turn the sucker the hell up.

On my Mark IV the eq is almost always off. I sometimes use the eq with the mids boosted to switch in as a boost for solos on the clean channel. I find I can get the tone I want with the amp settings.

I do things entirely differently. I like a really fat clean sound so I run my

Bass on 4 Pulled
Mids on 7 Pulled
Treble on 6
Pesence on 0

All this would make my Lead sound far to bassy and flabby so I set the EQ to kick in on the lead mode and pull a lot of 80, and a little 240. 750, and a fair amount of 2200 and 6600. I guess it looks a little like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I find this compensation works well.

Because I use both my boogie rigs with an A3 and have the whole lot under midi control I also create a few A3 patches that have different EQ/FX/Volume settings to fine tune the above settings.

I don't understand why the R2 volume balance is such a problem for the guys with processors. Even a volume pedal in the FX loop would help.

I mainly use my boogie distortions for Santana, Carlton, Blues, or Fusion sounds, so the V shape is kinda useless to me.

If I want metal sounds I just use an A3 distortion or a Keeley Baked TS9.

Does anyone use R2 + L1 together?

Because of the midi setup (Mark III) I can get this combination plus an A3 patch to tweak it. It's a sound with a fair amount of midrange hump: I find it really sings and cuts through.

I do the same on my Quad preamp:

R1 Clean + R2 dirty
R2 Crunch + L1 dirty
L1 dirty + L2 screaming

and quite a few other combinations, most are not that useable but the 3 above work well.

Well that's my post for the year; see you next year.

Cheers

Bob

I basically use mine is tilted "W" as well. I need a bit more mids in my sound as I use Strats and Teles.

I am a Mark III user and love it... not a metal guy either. I find the EQ on the MK III to be wayyyyy more essential than on the MKIV though... I have a custom MK IV on order from Mesa as we speak!!!

:lol:

Lately, for metal, I've been dipping the 2200 slider to the bottom line and the 6600 halfway between the middle and top lines. But I'm still tweaking all the time.

Hello, my first post.

I have a MKIII. I use the EQ in auto mode and tune it to whatever room I'm in (if I have the time) so the "Lead Drive" isn't too harsh.

Then again, I have walked over to it in the middle of a solo and started poking it around just to see what will happen.

I don't use the EQ on Rhythm I or II. I bought this amp new in `86 and so far my Teles, Strats and SGs sound great plugged right in with minimum fuss.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back