Which power amp for Studio Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden1984

Reaction score
Hello.
I`ve got Studio Pre and some homemade pwr amp, but I don`t like my sound.
I also have 412 recto Cab on vintage 30s.
I want to get classic rock or sometimes metal sound. Anyone knows whick pwr amp works best with Studio Pre?
I am thinking about old 2:50 or 395. Did anyone test it with newer pwr amps like 2:100?
Greetings

I've used a Carvin T-100 with mine and thought it was OK at best. The power amp I really liked with it was a 2:90, with modern mode engaged. I'd say that was one of the best metal tones I've ever had/heard.

i´m using an old fifty/fifty poweramp with the studio pre and i love the sound. the classic rock sounds as well as metal is no problem. i like it.
never had the chance to try a 2:90 or any other mesa poweramp yet. just used a rocktron velocity 250 for testing and it was o.k. but it still is a non-tube-amp so i got the fifty/fifty.

The power amp I really liked with it was a 2:90, with modern mode engaged. I'd say that was one of the best metal tones I've ever had/heard.
How about "Modern mode", is it working well with the preamp?

But I can only spend about 500-600 $ for it. :(
It seems like 50-50 will be the best choice...

I'm using mine with a VHT 2/50/2 and it sounds great! Bunch of different tones can be had with it. You can run class A or class A/B, EL34's or 6L6's on either channel. Presence and depth controls on each channel to tailor your sound. I don't know if they're available in your area but the VHT really KICKS ***!!

axisman5150 said:
I'm using mine with a VHT 2/50/2 and it sounds great! Bunch of different tones can be had with it. You can run class A or class A/B, EL34's or 6L6's on either channel. Presence and depth controls on each channel to tailor your sound. I don't know if they're available in your area but the VHT really KICKS ***!!

Is that kinda like the simul class you have in Mesa poweramps or is it something else?

Is that kinda like the simul class you have in Mesa poweramps or is it something else?[/quote]

Yes, pretty much the same. There is a switch on both channels of the VHT to run either class A or A/B. For my setup I run channel A in class A mode with jj E34L's and channel B in class A/B with jj 6L6's.

I'm running the ol' 50/50 with my Studio Pre. It works quite well too. Can get good blues, rock, or metal sounds going. I had Austin Tone Lab refurbish my 50/50 and couldn't be happier!

Good luck on your search for tone!

50/50.Cheap and its made for the studio pre.Like having a Boogie combo.
100_0416.jpg

Latest posts

Back