Which pedals work well with the V? Which don't?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have good experience with:

Maxon OD808
Box of Rock
BB Preamp
Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Pinnacle
Tech 21 Liverpool

TC Nova Delay
Vox Delaylab
TC Stereo Chorus Flanger

Didnt like:
AC Booster

Since I've had my V, I've been slowly letting go of the notion of using a boost/OD along with the gain channels, at least for rhythm sounds.

I haven't found ANY pedals I like in the Vs loop, I'd experiment more with the loop, but I use a switcher out front that controls the v and all my pedals in loops and I prefer that versatility.

On the the pedal board I use with the V, I'm only running an older MXR Zakk Wylde for OD, I use in my lead settings with the Vs Solo function, I have a Ch3 rhythm preset that includes the OD but I haven't been hitting all that often. I need CH1 to be clean when I use it so no OD there, and I don't find it necessary anytime I use Ch2.

The ZW pedal is pretty much the only OD/Boost I've held on to, I've tried: Seymour Duncan Pickup Boost, EHX LB-1, EP Booster, BBE Sonic Maximizer, TS-808, OCD v4 in all situations and although I love all the other pedals for what they do on other ams (except the OCD) - I didn't like them with the V. I've been selling off a lot of pedals this year.

I don't think I'm finished yet, I'd like to try a BB boost and a Soul Food. But I'm in no hurry.

I find the MXR Carbon Copy and a newish MXR Phase 90 to be incredible for what they do in front of the V, I use them individually in presets with the solo function, and the ZW OD, an Xotic SP Compressor and an MXR 10 band EQ (to counter the "V" in the amp's EQ) for leads. I love theseveasy to find "cheap" pedals with the V.

I had a similar issue when I went from a twin reverb to my mark v. Did not like my fulldrive 2. Line 6 dl4 delay
Currenty I am running a strymon timeline delay in loop. With the following in front.

Someties a rmc 1 wah special voiced for humbuckers by teese and or ernie ball volume pedal.

Always have these.

Analog man bi-comp
Analog man King of tone
Black box ts9 clone set for clean boost
3 leaf audio proton envelope filter
Agent funk filter
DLS chorus-vibe
DNA purple phase
Catmods analog delay
Digitec whammy 4 moded by molten voltage.

Recently put this into a moen gec9 switcher/LOOP. Helped cut down on the pedal dance at gigs.

All sounds great with the mesa.

Additionally these sound good as well
Tc nova delay, fulltone distortion pro and budda wah.

pivot said:
hows the Wampler Pinnacle sound with the mark v

It sounds very good...it's like the Plextortion but brighter, more scooped and slightly mushier (less tight). It could take some dialing with a V, though. You would probably find great tones faster if you connected this pedal to an amp that has a Recto-style power amp section.

Thanks for waiting a month for this reply. :lol:

Lately I have been messing around with my setup some. I put the EP Booster at the beginning instead of the end of the effects loop and set the dip switch to unity gain at 9 volts and added the Catlinbread echorec in the loop with 18volt power holy taco bell its sounds incredible!! Highly recommend those 2 pedals. the EP stays on all the time now. We play Prog/rock/metal along the lines of rush katatonia
Thanks for the feedback on the wampler. Im using it at home now to make my old fender twin sound like a killer marshal :) Mark4 mode on the markV seems to be handling everything now.
http://www.soundcloud.com/pivotband

I've been gigging with my Mk V for about four months now, and between that and my H9 I've been able to clear off half my old pedalboard. Such a sick amp. Here's what I've settled on for the past eight gigs or so:

FOA:
Xotic SP comp
Xotic EP booster
Suhr Koko boost (was using the green rhino, but found it worked best with the volume cranked and OD cut, so added the Koko in its place. It gets the same clean boost to the tubes, but the hi/mid/low boost side seems to add its respective sparkle/grind/growl better than the GR)
Timmy for the fat clean mode

FXLoop:
Eventide H9 harmonizer
TC Flashback x4 delay
Neunaber Stereo Wet reverb (sometimes a TC HOF)

The only other item I'll mention, because I love what it does so much, is my rack mounted ISP Decimator ProrackG, which replaced my original Decimator pedal that was in my loop. It's so freaking awesome being able to stand ready w/o any hiss, hum, or feedback, and then launch into a ripping riff or rhythm figure w/o having to fiddle with a volume knob, volume pedal, or unmute button. Totally pro, and always a surprise for the unexpecting ;)

Bottle Rocket.
Did you notice a big difference in the rack decimator vs the pedal. I know they have a new version of the pedal out.

pivot said:
Has anyone used theBlackouteffectors Musket? I was also looking at the way huge pedals
http://www.blackouteffectors.com/?page_id=402

I have BE's Blunderbuss which is similar to the Musket and I thoroughly enjoy it.
I use it over Channel 1. The trick is mixing it to taste while your bass player is
droning a low E. I always find the pedal's sweet spot from there.

I have tried many in front as well as in the loop for example the BB pre amp, the Zendrive, TS 808 and all work well but in reality the MKV doesn't need them IMO. Still those worked well for me. Recently I've been testing an older KOT and I like it better than any of the TS type ODs. For the loop the Eventide stomp boxes work awesome!! I also recently bought an Eventide H9 and it is the bomb!!! The Strymon timeline received high marks and earned real estate on my board as well. My fav has to be the H9 though. Packed with power and flexability and you can adjust it with you phone if you want!!

I just picked up a used Xotic SL Drive ($100) and... Wow! Definitely on par with the Zvex Box of Rock (HW version @ $225-250 used, $300 new) but with MANY more tonal options. Although it doesn't have a seperate boost (the V already has that covered anyway, right?), the SB and three SL options are pure bliss...another awesome pedal executed by Xotic!!! Well done...definitely puts the V's clean channel in Marshall territory fo sho. :mrgreen:

Bluestoned1 said:
I just picked up a used Xotic SL Drive ($100) and... Wow! Definitely on par with the Zvex Box of Rock (HW version @ $225-250 used, $300 new) but with MANY more tonal options. Although it doesn't have a seperate boost (the V already has that covered anyway, right?), the SB and three SL options are pure bliss...another awesome pedal executed by Xotic!!! Well done...definitely puts the V's clean channel in Marshall territory fo sho. :mrgreen:

Wow. Great recommendation. I just saw a couple demos and it's very impressive. Will definitely have to pick one up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D2XsEIDrYU

I'm using an EP booster in the loop and a Mooer "The Juicer" OD out front which I really like for high gain.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've been experimenting with some pedals and have had great success with a few.

All out front:
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
EHX Memory Boy
Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe (really lush, great on Channel 1)

The Phase 90 is the king though, as mentioned previously. This pedal seriously adds some mojo when kicked on; however when in combination with the Micro Vibe it's a mess (as expected). You can sometimes get some pleasing experimental, noisy-freakout sounds, but it takes a lot of knob twisting to find the sweet spot between those two pedals.

The Full Drive is a tone hound on Channel 1, and can be used with some pretty good results on Channel 2.

Some pedals I have that work well both with the Mark V 25 and Mark V:

Mesa Boogie Grid Slammer
Mesa Boogie Flux Drive
Mesa Boogie Throttle Box
Wampler Pinnacle II Deluxe
Wampler Ecstacy
Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler Paisley Drive
BJFE Honey Bee
Mad Professor Sweet Overdrive
Fulltone OCD
MXR ZW-44