Delay and Chorus pedals for my Mark V head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmaster21

Reaction score
Hello guys, i own a mark V head, which is just wonderful...I've been using a Boss DD3 digital delay and a CH-1 super chorus, but they turn a lot of volume down when the loop fx is switched on; indeed i am forced to turn the send level all down, losing a lot of volume...Does it happen because they're not true bypass?... Besides, they dirty my clean sound and totally suck my signal.

I'm selling them both, and i want to buy two new pedals that won't give me these problems. Any ideas? I'd like to keep the send level at noon, without having volume boosts (or drop of volume) when i switch the effects on.

I was thinking about:

MXR carbon copy delay
Tc electronic nova repeater
EHX memory boy

and

EHX Small clone chorus
EHX clone theory chorus
Tc electronic conora chorus

Please help me!

I had the same problem with my Vox Time Machine Delay. It would distort my clean signal. I think it has something to do with the pedal not being a line level product as apposed to the Mark V's line level effects loop. The DD3 is an instrument level input device, there for it ends up overdriving your signal in the effects loop causeing your clean channel and delay repeats to become distored.

The Mark V's effects loop as you can already tell is pretty sensitive and it likes to play with quality line level products. I think i read around here that the Carbon Copy ends up doing the same thing but I can't be sure. I ended up going with a TC Electronics Nova Delay. Excellent pedal and it has been great so far. I hear good things about the Nova Repeater as well.

so you would recommend to buy a nova repeater? i could also buy a nova delay, but i just need a simple delay...i don't need to save my presets, i just need a very good delay which doesn't distort my clean tone, and which doesn't have volume boosts/drop. I think i'll buy the nova repeater though.

somebody else's opinions?

I think the Nova Repeater would be a fine solution. It will definetly rid you of any noise that your current pedals are creating. Assuming the pedals are the issue here of course.

Nova Repeater - $150
Nova Delay - $250

If you are confident that your musical tastes and delay needs won't ever change, then the Repeater is an excellent solution. $100 is a substantial difference, too. I owned a Nova Delay for a short while, and I loved the versatility of it. If I ever buy another stand-alone delay unit, it will probably be the Nova. I am using a Nova System for all of my effects needs, and I have to say that I love it.

Regarding the chorus pedal, if you're sure that all you'll want for the next 10 years is a chorus effect, then get a chorus pedal. I can't be so confident, though, so I would get a TC Nova Modulator or an Eventide ModFactor.

For what it's worth, I've read good things about the MXR Carbon Copy in effects loops.

Just to chime in on the delay thang.

Not speaking for the Mark V, but I have the TC Nova Repeater in the effects loop of my Mark IIIs and I would have to say it's probably one of the best single pedal delays I've had. It's very rich, warm..and extremely transparent with absolutely no tonal degradation. It had everything I needed and would use so I saved some dough and opted for the Nova Repeater over the Nova Delay. You can't go wrong with TC gear,anyways. That's speaking first hand experience--although I've owned an EH Memory Man and loved it, and have played an MXR Carbon Copy and thought it sounded pretty lush. Still-- the Repeater wins with options.

~Nep~

Well, i think i'll go for the nova repeater then..What about the chorus? I was about to choose an ehx small clone

Buy a timefactor from Eventide or the blue lovepedal.

The delay from Eventide is absurd and super versatile and you can program it to have an amazing chorus, everything from Eric Johnson sounds to leslie sounding modulation...

The blue lovepedal (I'm forgetting the name, I think it's called a 'baby' or something) is a super simple delay pedal with a modulation effect built in.

unfortunately i have no enough money to get a timefactor, my budget is around 220-230 €, so i could just buy a tc nova repeater (or mxr carbon copy) and a small clone (or an other chorus pedal which costs around 80-90 €) ...anyways, i don't need a sophisticated pedal, i just need a simple chorus and a simple delay which work fine on my mark V... I wanted to buy a ehx memory toy, and a ehx nano clone...but i've read that they boost the volume.

Have you checked eBay? There are some good deals to be had on there, especially if you have a limited budget.

Okay, that rant aside, I'd check out the MXR chorus options. They're not too expensive.

the tone sucking from the pedals is because theyre designed to handle instrument level signal (-10dB), and the FX loop sends line level signal (+4dB). this happened to me when i tried to put my chorus pedal in the loop, and whenever i engaged the loop all of the treble instantly vanished. at first i thought it was my noise gate (not the case), and then i came to the conclusion that the mark v just had a shitty FX loop (also NOT the case). then i suddenly realized how retarded i am, and stuck the pedal up front. problem solved. the mark v's loop is incredibly transparent when you use line level FX with it.

i use an MXR stereo chorus which i think sounds awesome and im completely happy with. only drawback is that it has to go in front of the amp, but i can live with that. for delay, i use an eventide timefactor, which can be set to operate at line level and also sounds GODLY. if you cant afford it, ive heard great things about the TC stuff. and although boss pedals are generally kind of cheap sound-quality wise, i believe the DD-20 can handle line level.

rocknroll9225 said:
the tone sucking from the pedals is because theyre designed to handle instrument level signal (-10dB), and the FX loop sends line level signal (+4dB). this happened to me when i tried to put my chorus pedal in the loop, and whenever i engaged the loop all of the treble instantly vanished. at first i thought it was my noise gate (not the case), and then i came to the conclusion that the mark v just had a sh!t FX loop (also NOT the case). then i suddenly realized how retarded i am, and stuck the pedal up front. problem solved. the mark v's loop is incredibly transparent when you use line level FX with it.

i use an MXR stereo chorus which i think sounds awesome and im completely happy with. only drawback is that it has to go in front of the amp, but i can live with that. for delay, i use an eventide timefactor, which can be set to operate at line level and also sounds GODLY. if you cant afford it, ive heard great things about the TC stuff. and although boss pedals are generally kind of cheap sound-quality wise, i believe the DD-20 can handle line level.

+2 on above post. use only line level fx in the loop....

Neptical said:
Just to chime in on the delay thang.

Not speaking for the Mark V, but I have the TC Nova Repeater in the effects loop of my Mark IIIs and I would have to say it's probably one of the best single pedal delays I've had. It's very rich, warm..and extremely transparent with absolutely no tonal degradation. It had everything I needed and would use so I saved some dough and opted for the Nova Repeater over the Nova Delay. You can't go wrong with TC gear,anyways. That's speaking first hand experience--although I've owned an EH Memory Man and loved it, and have played an MXR Carbon Copy and thought it sounded pretty lush. Still-- the Repeater wins with options.

~Nep~

+1 to what Neptical said. I also own the Nova Repeater and it sounds great through my V... no worries man!!!

rocknroll9225 said:
the tone sucking from the pedals is because theyre designed to handle instrument level signal (-10dB), and the FX loop sends line level signal (+4dB). this happened to me when i tried to put my chorus pedal in the loop, and whenever i engaged the loop all of the treble instantly vanished. at first i thought it was my noise gate (not the case), and then i came to the conclusion that the mark v just had a sh!t FX loop (also NOT the case). then i suddenly realized how retarded i am, and stuck the pedal up front. problem solved. the mark v's loop is incredibly transparent when you use line level FX with it.

holy s**t!! :cry: check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfpu6MSWNw

i cannot use the effects in the front, because i usually use them on dirty channels...

i hope i'll have no problems with a nova repeater anyways

metalmaster21 said:
holy s**t!! :cry: check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfpu6MSWNw

i cannot use the effects in the front, because i usually use them on dirty channels...

i hope i'll have no problems with a nova repeater anyways

ya that video is a pretty good example of the tone sucking. but for me, the tone got sucked even with the pedal disengaged, with the fx loop on. pretty much whenever the pedal saw line level signal.

i know what youre talking about with not being able to use FX in front; chorus in front of a high gain preamp can produce some nasty, clashing harmonics. i only use my chorus pedal to add some shimmer to my clean channel tho, so i personally dont have any problem running it up front. and using delay in front of an amp is almost always a bad idea. it makes me wonder why it hasnt become standard to produce delay stompboxes for line level, or at least with the option for line level.

i dont have any experience with the nova repeater, so i cant help you there. but TC electronic makes quality products, so i doubt youll be disappointed.

In response to everybody saying you can't use instrument level pedals in a line level loop, here's your solution: Ebtech Line Level Shifter

This little box converts from -10dB to +4dB or vice versa, plus it has TRS jacks that allow you to run a balanced signal path to/from your pedalboard.

I run the E155 chorus delay by boomerang and couldn't be happier.

It is about as versatile as it gets for me anyway.

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E-155.html

ifailedshapes said:
In response to everybody saying you can't use instrument level pedals in a line level loop, here's your solution: Ebtech Line Level Shifter

This little box converts from -10dB to +4dB or vice versa, plus it has TRS jacks that allow you to run a balanced signal path to/from your pedalboard.

i don't know...i think it is absurd the fact i have to buy such a tool after i bought a 2500 € amplifier!

tomorrow i'll go buy the pedals. I think i'll get a tc nova repeater and a tc corona chorus or a small clone

Anyways, with the boss dd3 and ch1 i could play quite fine lowering the send level knob all down (i lost a lot of volume)...so, i mean, i can also put the send level a little down, but not too much as i had to with the two boss...that send knob must have an aim, afterall!

metalmaster21 said:
He solved the problem! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQomsfRP3g

There must be something here we're not understanding. Im no genius when it comes to circuits and such but what he did shouldn't have fixed anything. Or am I wrong.

Latest posts

Back