Mark V w/ Pedals - Having Trouble

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredhead72

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had my Mark V for 3 days now and while I love the natural tones, I'd like to color them with some of my various pedals and I'm have some issues.

I used to use a BOSS ME-50, which i would still like to use for the tuner, compressor, Noise Gate, Chorus, Delay, Wah, and Volume Pedal. However, when I add the pedal in front of the amp, the effects sound pretty terrible - especially on channel 3, Mark IV.

I've tried adding it using the FX loop, but it sucks a lot of the tone out.

That made me try out some individual pedals, BOSS super chorus and Digital Delay DD 5. In front, the delay cuts through the gain channels and sounds really shrieky. I've played with the pedal levels and I'm really not happy with the way they sound.

Again, I added them through the FX loop but they still suck a good deal of tone. I tried playing with the FX loop send level, but to no avail.

Ideally, I would like to use the ME-50 because of the multitude of effects options.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

You wouldn't spread catsup on filet mignion, would you? :lol: Imagine the Mark V as a microscope for tone, anything you plug in is going to show up. This is not an amp that sounds the same with different guitars, or pedals. Choose wisely and IMO go without before plugging low quality stuff in.

Also, when using the FX loop, try and keep the send about noon. The signal that comes out is very hot but usually it's better to limit the input side of the FX unit than lower the send of the loop. At least in my experience.

Trust me, I want to limit the variation of the natural tone as much as possible. I was simply hoping to have some chorus and delay for my lead sound.

For example, my favorite guitarist is John Petrucci (and while I cannot afford any of his equipment), I like the way his lead tone kind of "floats." I know he uses stereo delay and a lot of other stuff... but I was just hoping to get a similar effect (as I had using the ME 50).

Are boss pedals considered "low quality" these days?

And I'm assuming the loop is the preferable method to adding pedals. I shouldn't go through the front of the amp at all?

Don't let the pedal gurus tell you that your pedals are the reason for ruining your tone! Do Boss pedals degrade your sound? Sure! Is it to the point where you wouldn't want to use em? Hell no! The Mark V is a very telling amp. If your pedals degrade tone at all it will show it! Having said that, I run a Boss chorus and a DD20 in my loop. Keep your channel volumes at around 9:30 or less and it brings the highs out while using these pedals! I set my Master volume at about 9:30-10:00 then bring up my channel volumes and that ends up being at around 9:30 on stage. Keep your loop volume at noon! This works for me and my "budget" pedals!

The Channel Masters function as Effects Return controls, so running them a bit higher (and the Output lower to compensate) may help. See page 34 of the manual.
The problem with the ME-50 is that the delay and chorus sound better in the loop, while the wah and distortions work better into the front of the amp.
More expensive multi-effect units, like the GT-8 or GT-10, or Digitech's RP-1000, allow you to split the effects to the front and the loop.
This would let you use the Mark V 's pre-amp and all the channels, instead of, or in addition to, the overdrive/distortion/amp modeling sounds of the pedal.
Try Googling "Four cable method". :D

eudaimonia02912 said:
To be honest, I think you just need to get different pedals. Boss pedals suck tone.
+1

Although Boss pedals are one of the most popular stompbox brands, they are also the biggest tone suckers.

Thanks guys, this have been very helpful. I'll run a search on the forums for suggested pedal brands. I really only needs chorus, delay, and wah.

The other stuff is just for fun.

shredhead72 said:
Thanks guys, this have been very helpful. I'll run a search on the forums for suggested pedal brands. I really only needs chorus, delay, and wah.

The other stuff is just for fun.

When I first got my MarkV, I had to rethink all my pedal settings and re-dial 'em in
accordingly. What worked with my previous amps, didn't sit quite right with the MarkV
and some became redundant. I ended up ditching a few pedals myself.

For the above needs, I use a EHX Small Clone, EHX Stereo Memory Man, and a Budda wah
with my MarkV. Although, I might switch up the wah 'cause I'm starting to want a little
more "screeeech" there.

Good luck!!!

MrMarkIII said:
The Channel Masters function as Effects Return controls, so running them a bit higher (and the Output lower to compensate) may help. See page 34 of the manual.
The problem with the ME-50 is that the delay and chorus sound better in the loop, while the wah and distortions work better into the front of the amp.
More expensive multi-effect units, like the GT-8 or GT-10, or Digitech's RP-1000, allow you to split the effects to the front and the loop.
This would let you use the Mark V 's pre-amp and all the channels, instead of, or in addition to, the overdrive/distortion/amp modeling sounds of the pedal.
Try Googling "Four cable method". :D

I have been having trouble with my Carbon Copy dropping the volume of the amp when I engage it. Maybe this is the advise I need also! I can have the loop on the whole time, but as soon as I step on my Carbon Copy....pooof! The tone burglars appear!

I tend to agree with most posters here based on my experience. Don't expect a "do all" pedal to work well with the MkV or any other good tube amp for that matter.

I previously owned a Boss DD-3 delay that didn't sound good in front of or in the loop of my MkIV or MkV. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how good the EHX Memory Toy Delay Pedal sounded in front of both amps.

Another poster mentioned the EHX Memory Man Deluxe which is arguably one of the best delay pedals available, but the EHX Memory Toy sounds quite good in my mind and goes for about $90 compared to $300 for the Memory Man Deluxe. The memory toy is also very easy to dial in great delay sounds. You mentioned a tight budget! :wink:

I really can't comment on other pedal choices because with my MkV I prefer to keep it natural with the enhancement of a nice delay for leads when needed. I definitely don't need an overdrive pedal for my V.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I think you should avoid doing the 4-cable method with a floor processor like the POD X3L or Boss GT10. If you do that, your signal will be converted from analog to digital both before and after the pre-amp. Unless your processor has a very high sample rate, that tends to hurt your sound.

I have had great success with the Line 6 M9 & M13. If you like pedals for O/D , etc to color your sound a bit, and delay chorus, etc, then go for the M13 as it has an effects loop that allows for 4 cable method. If you only want the delays, chorus, verbs, the M9 has all of the same effects (as the M13) except it doesn't have the loop, so it's either all in front or in the loop of the amp.

BTW I had never been a fan of anything Line6 until I stumbled upon these units.....great sounding effects.

Check YouTube for sound samples of both units.....

M13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYEWYSnhnc

M9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-pHZRydxw

I have to agree with JAZZGEAR, I just got the M13 a few months ago and I am blown away by it. I really got it because I liked the layout (12 footswitches) that would, with the addition of a mini amp gizmo, also allow me to switch amp channels right from the M13 (as well as solo, reverb, eq etc) when in Scene Mode. At first with it being a Line 6 product I was concerned about the quality of the effects, I hadn't previously been too impressed with their stuff. To say the least I am a convert now, at least as far as the M13 goes... this unit just sounds great!! You can get so many great sounds out of in including a pretty convincing Hammond B3 using the rotary horn effect.

I have actually found a bit of a work around to the 4 cable method and am running the entire unit in front of the amp. At some point I may switch to 4CM but for now I have found that keeping the drive levels at the amp lower and using the pedals in the M13 to take the distortion the rest of the way works really well. I do this on channel 2 and it still leaves me channel 3 on the amp to drive more heavily with no distortion pedals. Because Channel 2 is just going a little into crunch territory ... the delays and other time based effects don't get all that messed up. So I use this channel with a distortion, and some delay for my lead tones. I use channel 3 for a raunchy driven rhythm tone and just use a little touch of reverb from the amp.

It took a bit of tweaking and a new way of thinking ( I had to let go of the notion that the Mark V had to do most of the work and just let my ears do the talking) but I have some real killer tones going on now by blending the great Mark V tones with some tasteful distortion and OD tones from the M13.

My Carbon Copy Delay sounds great in the loop.

You may just need to invest in individual pedals.

eudaimonia02912 said:
To be honest, I think you just need to get different pedals. Boss pedals suck tone.

I've NEVER liked Boss pedals. I found it was always worth saving up and spending money to get less pedals but better quality because when it comes down to it you want true bypass, you want something that colors your tone and doesn't change it, a lot of the lower quality pedals tend to change it.

I would replace all your Boss pedals for any TC Electronic unit, I personally use the G major and it sounds pretty **** good in the loop or in front. It has a compressor, Noise Gate and all the effects you would need.

I've owned the ME-50 and the GT-10 and I was not able to make any work right with any mesa amp I've owned until I got G major.

You can get a used G major for $200-$250, just make sure it has the latest update 1.27
Good Luck

Thanks man, I'll look into it. I don't have a rack, but the cost of several individual pedals would equal a G Major.

Latest posts

Back