Which cabinet to partner mark v?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest363

Reaction score
I have ordered a Mark v head, have just sold 3 amps to afford it! Obviously I have a little wait on my hands so was wondering if anybody can suggest a 2 x 12 cab that usually works with the mark amps? I play heavy blues, rock sort of stuff so a scooped sound is definitely something i'm not looking for, sightly pronounced midrange sweet highs, overall well balanced.

The Mesa recto 2x12 is always a good choice, but I'd also look at the Bogner 2x12 too. If you're looking to save some money, check out Avatar cabs. You can get a surprisingly well built and great sounding cab with your choice to style, color, speaker, etc... for very little money.

Iconoclysm said:
You don't recommend a Stilletto (Traditional) cab?

Yes, the trad cab is an equally good choice, though a recto 2x12 will be/feel/sound a touch more open with perhaps better bass response.

I like Mark amps paired with big Recto cabs, and my Rectos with the smaller Stiletto or the older Halfback cabs. Kind of backwards :?

Oh I forgot to say. If your looking for a recto cab the RK 2x12 is a great choice! :wink:

Cheers all, The RK 2 x 12 sounds a good shout, the idea of both the half open back and combination of speakers seems a good one, I have always liked bogner cabs also very open sounding and not so heavy. Such a difficult thing to judge until you've worn the speakers in, guess I could buy a couple of different ones second hand and see what occurs.

make sure you break in that 2x12 vert cab. I had one for my Mark IV a while back and I sold it before it wa sbroken in. It was very treble-y. I wish I'd have kept it. The width of that sitting under the Mark V head will be a cool sight to behold. Would love to see pics of that.

I will be using my beloved Bogner OS 2x12 loaded with V30s. My favorite cabinet ever. Matched well with my Mark IV and should sound great with the V.

Were they not talking about making a new cab to pair up with the Mark V?

I highly... HIGHLY recommend the Mills Acoustics Afterburner cabs. Hands down the best cabs I've ever played and I've played just about all of them (VHT, Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, ENGL, Splawn, etc.). My favorite have always been the VHT and Mesa cabs, and while they still hold a place in my heart, the Mills cabs just flat out smoke them.

You can dial in as much bass as you want and it never sounds flabby... it just converts that bass into power. People might be turned off by the v30s but there is no harshness to them. once broken in the cab is smooth, with just enough mid bite and a super powerful low end. It has the most clarity I've ever heard and at the same time projects a very 3D sound (not laser beams as most closed backs tend to do). This is done with an interior ported baffle (called the afterburner)... it basically will kill standing waves which usually cause boominess and flub, especially with bass heavy amps. By killing those standing waves you can dial in more bass to create more power, and at the same time retain clarity, which is an elusive balancing act.

They're also priced right near your Mesa cabs and slightly cheaper than VHT and Bogner... also David Mills is a class act. The cabs are factory order only now (no dealers) so you end up dealing with Dave one way or another and he's an incredible guy always making sure your 110% satisfied with his product (the way it should be).

Anyway.... as you can see these cabs get me excited (as do they get Fixxer excited). If anything they are worth a serious look at if your in the market for a top quality, high end cab that may be the cab to end all cabs.

http://millsacoustics.com/models.html

I did a side-by-side comparison with Mills, Diezel and Bogner. I own the Bogner and Diezel cabs, a friend owned the Mills. I think the Mills was the best cab all around - from a sound perspective, but I'm not sure if it is that much better that I need to sell my cabs to buy 2 Mills cabs. I may do it though. I have v30s/K100s in my cabs and the Mills was all v30s. If I do get the Mills, it will have the v30/K100 combo.

When I get my Mark V, it will be played through a new Mills or my Bogner.

P4050120.jpg

Do any of you have or ever played through an Ear Candy Cabinet?

I read about them on another site (huge racks maybe? maybe on this board i cant remember) and they are pretty
raved about. I'll have to check out those Mills.

Gizzorge said:
Were they not talking about making a new cab to pair up with the Mark V?

I thought of replicating the traditional Mark series arrangement with the Mark V head.

I bought a Mesa widebody 1x12 open back (22.5" wide) and I ordered the new Thiele-style cab (close back, front ported, 22.5" wide).
Regards

Avatar 2 X 12 with one v30 and 1 ght 75 speaker......about $420 shipped. Their 4X12 cabs are like $639 shipped. As good as a Mesa cab for $300 less

I believe the recto RK II cab 4x12 or 2x12 is the best choice for this head IMHO. Think about it: The combos come with an open back with c90's (that's one half of the RK II) and the vintage 30's in the other boogie cabs are great with overdrive (the other half of the RK II cabs). It's perfect. You get the best of both worlds, and if you combine them its absolutely amazing. A wall of sound. My cuz in Queens, NY has these cabs and I was blown away with the versatility of sounds. Anything else and you are stuck with just closed or just opened. As for mixing Boogies with oteher cabs, I could never do it, Im too obssevie/compulsive.

I'm going for the 4x12 Stiletto slant cab...

Vintage 30's in a tighter sounding enclosure sounds good... And it will fit in my car. :)

Latest posts

Back