when carrying your amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkorn

Reaction score
Hey,
when you guys carry one amp from place to another... do you remove power tubes? I don't but i heard they should be removed as it decreases tube life a lot(did i read this in the manual?? can't remember)
Also, when you carry your amp there's this noise... like springs... even my 6505 and fender hot rod did it, anyone knows what it is?

Rkorn said:
Hey,
when you guys carry one amp from place to another... do you remove power tubes? I don't but i heard they should be removed as it decreases tube life a lot(did i read this in the manual?? can't remember)
Also, when you carry your amp there's this noise... like springs... even my 6505 and fender hot rod did it, anyone knows what it is?
this is the first i've heard of removing the power tubes, but mine has made spring like noises when i've moved it. i just assumed it was the reverb spring.

rocknroll9225 said:
Rkorn said:
Hey,
this is the first i've heard of removing the power tubes, but mine has made spring like noises when i've moved it. i just assumed it was the reverb spring.

+1 on the reverb.

Even if my manual did say to pull the tubes for movement; me like most others would never bother.

A combo in my view implies portable - grab and go. If there's a price to be paid in tube life with that - so be it.

I gotta life to live and music to play, girls to kiss, booze to swill etc etc

There's a school of thought says you should let the tubes cool down before moving them (and the amp), apparently because mechanical shock while still hot might damage them.
This must have gotten mixed up with the idea of letting the tubes cool before RE-moving them for maintenance purposes.
The interweb is becoming a giant game of "Telephone" :lol:

Not that it's really a hassle to do, but I'd just keep them in there. I've kept them right in there from gig to gig several times across the country with no harm. And even then I can get a pretty long life out of power tubes.

~Nep~

You don't need to remove tubes. Should let them cool down afer a gig if you can.

Cheers Rich

I gotta lot of flights of stairs to move my combo from studio to jam hall...so I bought a hand dolly to load the combo on. Does the job nicely, saves my back and minimizes any jarring. I'm decently fit...but that combo get's heavy quickly after just one flight of stairs...i'd hate do ding a door or piece of furniture with thing.

Removing an amp's tubes to move the amp would cause more harm than good. It would increase the likelihood of damaging tubes and wear the tube sockets out prematurely.

Only remove the tubes if you are going to ship an amp in a box. This prevents a tube from getting loose and breaking inside the amp.

Ok,
thanks a lot! I was just something that crossed my mind while bringing the amp home from rehearsal...
Tks for the immediate responses :)

I can see myself laying on the stage removing tubes with a bunch of drunks waiting for last call, and my buddies hassling me to load out the PA gear. Not a good scenario, hell changing tubes in a perfect enviornment is risky. I've broken off many keyways being as careful as I can at home. Mostly JJ's, I don''t know if thats the weak point of JJ's or not, but 3 of them in the last year!

Back