Whats your favorite Boogie!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a wrench to throw in the works: I do not care for the solo tones of the Mark IV, no matter how much I tweak it, it's still a Mark IV and I just could not make myself love it. However, I haven't found too many amps that can strut out the rythm parts as well. Such definition!

Rocket 44: Although not anywhere near as versatile as the Mark IV, I find it much sweeter to solo with. The Mark just cannot sing the way the rocket does. It's a bit of a one-trick-pony, but I couldn't care less. I love this amp.

Single rec Solo Fifty head V1: Great cleans, great heavy rhythm tones, too fizzy to solo with. A keeper, just not a star

Stiletto Trident Stage I: I'll get back to you on this one - I am still trying one out here at the studio. So far I like it a lot. It has a Marshall feel and general sound although I can already tell it can do more than the Marshalls I have owned, particularly in the area of gain.

I do not have a favorite amp. I have amps I love for different reasons. That's why I have more than one amp, and amps from all over the world....just like guitars. No one guitar could do it all for me, I play too many different styles. I DO, however, have a favorite amp maker....long may his rectifiers wave.

M

siggy14 said:
Hard thing about the internet is if you are not clear enough it is hard to tell exactly which way you are going. The way it was typed, looked like you were complaining about it, just saying it was only good for nu-metal and metal, yet it is a very verstile amp.

But now that i re-read it i can see what you ment by that.

ytse_jam said:
siggy14 said:
You have only had a few responses, to hard to say that the Mark is the best. It call comes down to personal taste.

personaly the recto can do more then just nu metal/metal. The orange channel on a 2 channel recto is a great tone for rock/hard rock, saying the recto is just a metal amp is pretty ignorant. The Three channel recto's also get some great rock tones, have you ever played the pushed mode on channel one, i miss that mode.

I tried the mark IV, and just not my thing, but then again I would need to experiment again with it.

But for now my favorite Mesa Amp is my Early dual 2 channel rec.
i fully agree, it wasn't me saying markIV is the best... i just said it was my preferred :wink:
i said rectos are unbeatable for nu-metal and modern metal, i didn't say these were the only stuff you can play with them... so what i intended as a positive comment you ended up considering a bad comment :roll: . I was just trying to "smooth out" the thought of Living_justice which semmed quite direct :D ! Everybody's got his own tastes
i agree one more time, it surely has to do with my english which isn't perfect at all! please be patient with me! :wink: bye

:D :D :D

There is no "Best" Mesa, only different flavors for different tastes.

I've had:

2 Dual Rectifiers: The 1st one was the best sounding Rectifier that I have ever played or seen. I covered any type of rock from Allman Brothers to AC/DC to Zep to Tool with it. The 2nd one I had was a dog and kept breaking, plus, it didn't sound anywhere as good as the 1st one. Much better sounding amps than most of their users give them credit for. Easy to tweak too.

Triple Rectifiers (on loan from a friend): Way too freaking loud.

Nomads45 1x12 combo: Great tones, but it had the footswitch/amp stops working problem, and I really liked the 1st DR and decided to keep it instead of the Nomad.

Mark IV Widebody Head: Incredible pallete of tones, but really hard to dial in perfectly. Not too complex, by any means, but I didn't have the time to constantly tweak it to perfection.

2 DC-2's: Great amps, many incredible tones available. No EQ though, and the Contour was a one-trick-pony.

DC-3: Needed a website for our company, or I never would have gotten rid of it. This is a beast. A good friend of mine builds websites and needed an amp. It went to a very happy home, and gets used every day.

I now own:

DC-5 combo: Sick little MoFo of an amp. The EQ puts it over the top for Lead tones. Great Cleans, almost as good as my Fenders. I modified it to use 6V6 tubes with an adjustable bias and lower Plate Voltages. I also modified the Clean channel to sound more soulful.

Tremoverb head: Very versatile, great cleans, sick distortion, gobs of gain, lots of options. No Solo Boost though.

Roadster head: My favorite this month, probably next month too :D . Enough options and tones to sink a battleship. It's incredibly easy to tweak, and the EQ sounds great wherever it's set at.

Heartbreaker 2x12 combo: Channel 1 is stock, Channel 2 modded to be less boomy and muddy, now it just sings. Also modified for adjustable bias.

Looking for another EL-84 Mesa, maybe a Maverick.

I do not have a favorite amp. I have amps I love for different reasons. That's why I have more than one amp, and amps from all over the world....just like guitars. No one guitar could do it all for me, I play too many different styles. I DO, however, have a favorite amp maker....long may his rectifiers wave.

:D :lol: Couldn't have put it better myself. Except: So much GAS, so little money.

The Rectifiers are truly great amps, it's too bad that more great players don't use them. Not to say that there aren't great players using them, but Nickelback, and bands like them just find a certain tone and keep it. This sticks these wonderful amps with a serious stereotype. I saw a really great Jazz band in Indianapolis a few years ago. The guitarist was a young kid (looked exactly like Napoleon Dynamite). He got the best Jazz tones out of a 3 channel Recto with an oversized 4x12 and a huge Gibson hollowbody. I was thoroughly impressed both with his tone and his skill. On the last song, they let him rip a little. Sick tone, a huge guitar, and a bright orange afro. Fucking awesome!!!!

You know, i have decided after this post just to ignore you, i find no quality in your personality or your posts and you have the maturity level of a 12 year old.

Please take your negaitve attitude somewhere else, your bashing of bands, as well as using racist slurs like "fag" is not appreciated.

rabies said:
siggy14 said:
You have only had a few responses, to hard to say that the Mark is the best. It call comes down to personal taste.

personaly the recto can do more then just nu metal/metal. The orange channel on a 2 channel recto is a great tone for rock/hard rock, saying the recto is just a metal amp is pretty ignorant. The Three channel recto's also get some great rock tones, have you ever played the pushed mode on channel one, i miss that mode.

I tried the mark IV, and just not my thing, but then again I would need to experiment again with it.

But for now my favorite Mesa Amp is my Early dual 2 channel rec.

ytse_jam said:
mesa rectos are the only way to go for nu-metal/modern metal! but since these aren't my genres i prefer marks all the way too. But listening to the brutal power of a recto is amazing too i must say.

First of all, I owned a RK1 that I loved a lot for playing lead Dorian and blues passages along with Miles Davis "Kind of Blue". The #1 selling jazz album of all time. The inception of modal jazz. I didn't actually like to use the RK1 for heavy mosh sounds as much. The recto mosh sound can be very muddy (check out old Limp Bizkit). I prefer my Mark III for the "you shall submit" drop D diminshed scale based progressions, etc.

Just b/c all the fag-rock/nu-metal/screw-metal/pig-metal whatever other bullshit label musicians are using it, doesn't mean jazz dudes can't use it. You can do all kinds of rock/jazz/funk/fusion stuff with a RK. But nobody ever talks about using a Dual Rec for jazz/fusion...

Korn was probably the first band to release an album using rectos. Korn is now using Diezel. Tool is now using Diezel. Smashing Pumpkins is now using Diezel. Wes Borland is now using Diezel.

Does that mean Diezel is the next big thing? Who cares!!!!!!

Mr. Bungle guitarist runs his JMP-1 directly into the PA. No cabs, power amps, etc.

Music theory, creativity and feel matters most. The other 2% is equipment.

You could have put SRV or Hendrix on that Strat Bullett and Crate amp and the whole world would still love the performances...

"
[QB]Please take your negaitve attitude somewhere else, your bashing of bands, as well as using racist slurs like "fag" is not appreciated.[/QB]
"

"Fag" is a racist slur? What country are the Fags from? Who were they, like an ancient race of interior decorators or sump'n?

"Tonight on the Hysterectomy channel: The ancient Fags erected the Ben Dover Pyramids on the Gonad Penisula in the year 69."

Hmm. Could be.

Anyway, I forgot to mention my favorite cabinet, which is the Mesa Road King 4x12. Absolutely love it.

M

P.S. No offense to the REAL builders of the Ben Dover Pyramids.

My favorite boogie is all these amps hooked to one guitar. :twisted:

DSC01032.jpg

1 - Mark IV (For the Searing Leads and tight rythm
1A - Triaxis/2:90 or 20/0
1B - RK II

Ok let me resay that, it is a gay slur that is very offensive to a gay person. It is also a sign of hate and having gay friends i find it offensive.

MasterTrax said:
"
[QB]Please take your negaitve attitude somewhere else, your bashing of bands, as well as using racist slurs like "fag" is not appreciated.[/QB]
"

"Fag" is a racist slur? What country are the Fags from? Who were they, like an ancient race of interior decorators or sump'n?

"Tonight on the Hysterectomy channel: The ancient Fags erected the Ben Dover Pyramids on the Gonad Penisula in the year 69."

Hmm. Could be.

Anyway, I forgot to mention my favorite cabinet, which is the Mesa Road King 4x12. Absolutely love it.

M

MasterTrax said:
"
"

Hmm. Could be.

M

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help but die laughing at that one. Being somewhat edumacated in anthropology it hit a vein (no pun intended).

siggy, did you really mean negaitive? That would be the first time I have heard that term if you did.

I too happen to have a few friends of the alternative lifestyle/persuasion but I can relate to what our rabid friend had to say. There is some validity there amongst the rest of the post in case you ignored the rest of what he had to say.

Now that certainly was an interesting choice of primates...

Question is: Can you name it? *Jeopardy music*

Ok guys this is the boogie board,not the slagging board lets get back to the boogies at hand,ohhh I dont tend to slag famous bands because my band havent made it that far yet,I do have an opinion on bands but I dont slag them I just think its respect to see wha they have done and how far they have taken there musical talents whatever genre the play.No offence aimed at anyone.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Hysterectomy Channel," I might have to add that one to my "Favorites."

I have several friends who are of the alternate persuasion. They think it's funny as hell when I call something "Gay."

Anyway........Roadster, but I want to pick up the 2x12 combo. I have the head now and it's too much trouble to get it plugged in and keep it plugged in with my 2 year old son around. He wants to unplug everything.

Well, it looks like I am the first vote for the Lonestar. I haven't had many other amps that cover the bases like the LSC. I haven't really tried metal with it, because I usually don't play it. But it has great cleans and I like the voicing of the distortion as well. I think the reverb is really good too.

This is so subjective. We all play different types of music, prefer different types of tones, have different sonic goals in mind when we play, it's all just a matter of personal opinion. Add to that the logistical issues (how do I load a triple rec full stack into my <insert name of small car here>???)

I'm old school, play in a jam band, and have always had space constraints, so my prefernces lie with the combos. I've played (but definitely have not owned) almost all the Boogies - from vintage Mark Is all the way through the F-series. My top three - in order of preference - are as follows:

1. DC-3 (This is the ULTIMATE small amp with independent channels and killer tone. This is hands-down the best amp I've ever owned. If I need "more" sound, I hook it up to a quad box and watch as people's jaws hit the floor.)

2. Studio .22 (fantastic small amp, not quite as tweakable as the DC-3, but awesome, awesome lead sound, and incredibly dependable. This thing is a VOX on steroids.)

3. F-50 (in terms of bang for the buck, this is the best clean channel, in my opinion, on a high gain amp that has ever been made. Small, powerful and gorgeous tone. The drive channel's not too shabby either.)

Each of these three has served me well. Each has a special place in my heart. They all do what they do incredibly well, and don't try do cover all the bases. I don't need that with what I do. If I did, I'd get a Mark IV and be done with it.

I am not even gonna respond anymore, there is really no need to get worked up over some stupid comments. I just have cetain people on ignore.

Russ said:
MasterTrax said:
"
"

Hmm. Could be.

M

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help but die laughing at that one. Being somewhat edumacated in anthropology it hit a vein (no pun intended).

siggy, did you really mean negaitive? That would be the first time I have heard that term if you did.

I too happen to have a few friends of the alternative lifestyle/persuasion but I can relate to what our rabid friend had to say. There is some validity there amongst the rest of the post in case you ignored the rest of what he had to say.

Speaking of baboons. I guess for those that don't know, the above primate is commonly known as the hamadryas baboon or scientifically as Animalia Chordata Vertebrata Mammalia Primates Cercopithecidae Cercopithecinea Papio Papio Hamadryas. In short, it is a red faced baboon. The specimen above isn't very red faced but is still a hamadryas baboon nonetheless.

My favorite is the F-30 combo.

It has the right clean and distorted tones for the music I play.
It is easy to transport.
It was easier on the wallet than most other Mesa amps. 8)

Latest posts

Back