Whats your favorite Boogie!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
Hi there,
Now then,what is yor favorite mesa/boogie amps,are you a purist and swear by the MKI,or are you a little bit more aggresive and love the snarl of the MKIV,do you chunk away with you Recto or get geeky with your Roadking.Let us know your favorite boogie and tell us why you love that amp so much.(also cabs and combinations of amps and cabs!!!)

Euan

Being a Mark series fan, i say Mark IV: for both great tone and versatility. I'm curious to hear it with a Genz Benz G-flex, many say it's a great combo.

Also being a Mark lover for looong time i sticky with the mighty III fully loaded . . . agressive, clean and mean when needed . . .

a head paired with a Thiele EV200 and a open back EV200 are the ultimate Mark sound, imho. 8)

Mark IV.
It's the most versatile amp I've ever played on. Combined with the right guitar, it goes from the warmest jazz all the way up to the darkest distortion, with all the different shades in between.
The only problem is it takes a very long time to get used to.

MKIV seems to be a popular choice,and for good reason.I particularly like the small head version for its compact size and transpotability.But,the dual recto does cover a lot of scope when it comes to tone.My old nomad is a great amp as well,amazing cleans and brilliant medium gain!!!!

Sorry to break the Mark-series mood, but I love the Stiletto Ace Combo - crystal cleans, crunchy (er...) crunch, and dollops of dirt when required.

And it doesn't have too many controls to addle my poor brain either...(not a criticism BTW).

so looking at all the mark lovers, its proves it the mark series is the best mesa amp ever, so why did they go with the rectos, when the mark amps are much better amps.

Living_justice said:
so looking at all the mark lovers, its proves it the mark series is the best mesa amp ever, so why did they go with the rectos, when the mark amps are much better amps.
mesa rectos are the only way to go for nu-metal/modern metal! but since these aren't my genres i prefer marks all the way too. But listening to the brutal power of a recto is amazing too i must say.

Mark I Reissue - it's like having a head with a bonus speaker. Very compact, yet so powerful. It especially loves Strats or single coils. The Ch. 2 is just sweet! And, when a cab is attached, watch out. With a blues driver pedal in front this little amp just simply rocks with an awesome tone.

Mark IV - someday I'll be enamored with it; need to really test drive it.

Road King II - I have some serious high expectations; can't wait for it to arrive.

Nomad - really a tone of its own. Not so good cleans, but versatile amp nonetheless.

Stiletto Trident - full of surprises, and very versatile. It does cut like a knife and can sing the blues with the best of 'em. The 150 w produces awesome jazzy tones as well. It probably has the most "interesting" personality.

Lonestar - Beautiful, luscious cleans. Don't care for the overdrive. It loves pedals.

LSS - It really loves single coils. Humbuckers will have to sit tight by the sidelines.

You have only had a few responses, to hard to say that the Mark is the best. It call comes down to personal taste.

personaly the recto can do more then just nu metal/metal. The orange channel on a 2 channel recto is a great tone for rock/hard rock, saying the recto is just a metal amp is pretty ignorant. The Three channel recto's also get some great rock tones, have you ever played the pushed mode on channel one, i miss that mode.

I tried the mark IV, and just not my thing, but then again I would need to experiment again with it.

But for now my favorite Mesa Amp is my Early dual 2 channel rec.

ytse_jam said:
Living_justice said:
mesa rectos are the only way to go for nu-metal/modern metal! but since these aren't my genres i prefer marks all the way too. But listening to the brutal power of a recto is amazing too i must say.

OH yeah if that was a true statment then the Mark IV would be the best selling mesa amp, not the Recto. But yet the Recto is the best selling Mesa Amp, so that has to say something right there.

Living_justice said:

siggy14 said:
OH yeah if that was a true statment then the Mark IV would be the best selling mesa amp, not the Recto. But yet the Recto is the best selling Mesa Amp, so that has to say something right there.

Living_justice said:

Sales are not the best way to judge a product. How great is a bullet strat? Maybe that's just saying something about the level of patience and sophistication of the average guitar player. It takes a brave soul to pass up the bad*ss chrome treadplate and oversized rectifier 4x12 for a dinky little short head that runs circles around it. :lol:

siggy14 said:
You have only had a few responses, to hard to say that the Mark is the best. It call comes down to personal taste.

personaly the recto can do more then just nu metal/metal. The orange channel on a 2 channel recto is a great tone for rock/hard rock, saying the recto is just a metal amp is pretty ignorant. The Three channel recto's also get some great rock tones, have you ever played the pushed mode on channel one, i miss that mode.

I tried the mark IV, and just not my thing, but then again I would need to experiment again with it.

ytse_jam said:
Living_justice said:
i fully agree, it wasn't me saying markIV is the best... i just said it was my preferred :wink:
i said rectos are unbeatable for nu-metal and modern metal, i didn't say these were the only stuff you can play with them... so what i intended as a positive comment you ended up considering a bad comment :roll: . I was just trying to "smooth out" the thought of Living_justice which semmed quite direct :D ! Everybody's got his own tastes

While I didn't compare it to a MarkIV, I compared the Roadster to several other amps of different manufacturers as well as Mesa Lone Star.
Liked Roadster best. Hard Rock&Roll tone is the main thing for me and Roadster delivers. Versatility is second, and of course it delivers on that with various possible tube configurations and 4 channels/12 modes. I get all my favorite tones as presets immediately accessable using the footswitch, a simple and ideal setup.

Now that is a bad comparison and you know it, a bullet strat compared to a regular strat are two different price ranges, two different places of manafacturing etc... So yeah the bullet might sell more because it is more affordible price range.

A Mark IV and recto go for about the same price, made with the same quality by the same people.

Both are great amps, however the Recto is just more popular and has nothing to do with the chrome diamond plate. It is just a great amp, can go anywhere from clean, to blues to rock to classic metal to numetel etc..

The Mark IV can do all these sounds except the Nu-metal, does that make a Mark Less of an amp, no, it will be a great amp on certain tone where a recto will only be a good amp in that tone.

However there are so many different varitions of the recto that you can get pretty much any style you want. Roadkings and Tremoverbs and Rectoverbs tend to be more popular with the rock/hard rock people. Triple and Duals tend to be more popular with the metal heads.

If you are gonna use a comparison, please use something that is a little more realistic. As to my previous statement, yes the recto out sells the Mark, and yes the Recto has been on probaly 4 times as many recordings as a Mark IV. So I think that pretty much answers the question.

eltrain858 said:
siggy14 said:

Living_justice said:

Sales are not the best way to judge a product. How great is a bullet strat? Maybe that's just saying something about the level of patience and sophistication of the average guitar player. It takes a brave soul to pass up the bad*ss chrome treadplate and oversized rectifier 4x12 for a dinky little short head that runs circles around it. :lol:

Hard thing about the internet is if you are not clear enough it is hard to tell exactly which way you are going. The way it was typed, looked like you were complaining about it, just saying it was only good for nu-metal and metal, yet it is a very verstile amp.

But now that i re-read it i can see what you ment by that.

ytse_jam said:
siggy14 said:

ytse_jam said:
i fully agree, it wasn't me saying markIV is the best... i just said it was my preferred :wink:
i said rectos are unbeatable for nu-metal and modern metal, i didn't say these were the only stuff you can play with them... so what i intended as a positive comment you ended up considering a bad comment :roll: . I was just trying to "smooth out" the thought of Living_justice which semmed quite direct :D ! Everybody's got his own tastes

siggy14 said:

Living_justice said:

i really understand what you've tried to say, but just to put some fuel on fire . . . Golf is the best selling car from Volkswagen and sure isnt the best . . . 8)

MIV all the way. Rectos look cool and have that one awesome tone, but the MKIV can do a lot of other things. I had a blue angle (class a) back in the day and that had an awesome clean sound, and the feel was amazing too. still how can you beat all the tones in a MKIV. i picked the MKIV over the roadster.

Latest posts

Back