What's this stuff inside my IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavarius

Reaction score
What's this white stuff on some of the resistors (?) near the power tube sockets in my IIC+? It comes off when I scrape it away... almost like paint. Should I be worried? Has anyone seen this before?

EDIT: More pics:

Whiteshit.jpg

Whiteshit2.jpg

Whiteshit3.jpg

Here are some pics:

DSCN03155.jpg

DSCN03145.jpg

Not that white stuff :lol: Haha... no I'm not that stupid. I meant that thin white stuff all over the striped brown resistors near the power tube sockets. Other resistors like that I've seen on other IIC+'s were clean and glossy on the surface... so I'm just a bit worried, 'cause I've never seen that before.

Looks like they just cooked off a little from getting a little too hot over the years.

Russ said:
Looks like they just cooked off a little from getting a little too hot over the years.

Yeah maybe... but the colored surface isn't whats coming off though. The white stuff is ON the surface. It's like they were painted or something...

looks like the heat from your amp has made the restitor paint peel.. should have a check on what the value's are on those componets as they may have drifted.. Boogiebabes will tell you what it is, he just like's to make a more dramatic entrance.. lets us all guest then comes in with the right answer..

Shep said:
looks like the heat from your amp has made the restitor paint peel.. should have a check on what the value's are on those componets as they may have drifted.. Boogiebabes will tell you what it is, he just like's to make a more dramatic entrance.. lets us all guest then comes in with the right answer..

Yeah, but you see... the white stuff is actually ON the paint. When I scrape it off, the white stuff goes away and the paint is underneath. The resistor near the right middle socket (seen from the back) was actually all covered in it, and now it's almost as it should be. Clear of the white stuff.

It's.................

Clear coating. Notice how the stripes under the resistor are covered as well. Some companies coated them to keep the stripes on and after years of heating and cooling they flake. Some manufacturers just painted the stripes. Now if they had black or brown spots, I would say they are cooked, but these appear fine. You can easily read a screen grid resistor in circuit. They will range from 460 to 490 ohms. so if they read fine, I would just leave the sugar coating on there. If you want to replace them, have fun hunting identical 470 Ohm NOS 2W Metal Oxide resistors.
If you really, really want to change them, any 2W Metal Oxide resistors will do. They are modern ceramic construction though.

Note:

If you to get it fixed for free, send it to the address below.
He specializes in IIC+ Exports with Simul-EQ-Reverb and Hardwood cabs.

Isteela Urampa
P.O. Box 1313
Tijuana, Mexico
SUKR-HAHA1

Please add a forwarding address of:

Lee Kwan Nguyen
39735 Kung Pow St.
Signapore,
ISCRW-U

Then, please add the last forwarding address to:

John Smith
1625 Umbassu
Ogbomoso, Nigera
0HOW-HEPEMI

Please enclose your credit card number for John Roberts so he can ship it back. If he attempts to buy 3,000 spark plugs with it, I will apologize in advance. :D

Boogiebabies said:
Note:

If you to get it fixed for free, send it to the address below.
He specializes in IIC+ Exports with Simul-EQ-Reverb and Hardwood cabs.

Isteela Urampa
P.O. Box 1313
Tijuana, Mexico
SUKR-HAHA1

Please add a forwarding address of:

Lee Kwan Nguyen
39735 Kung Pow St.
Signapore,
ISCRW-U

Then, please add the last forwarding address to:

John Smith
1625 Umbassu
Ogbomoso, Nigera
0HOW-HEPEMI

Please enclose your credit card number for John Roberts so he can ship it back. If he attempts to buy 3,000 spark plugs with it, I will apologize in advance. :D

HAHA! Yeah... I'll send it right away.
It's cream tolex though. :)

Boogiebabies said:
It's.................

Clear coating. Notice how the stripes under the resistor are covered as well. Some companies coated them to keep the stripes on and after years of heating and cooling they flake. Some manufacturers just painted the stripes. Now if they had black or brown spots, I would say they are cooked, but these appear fine. You can easily read a screen grid resistor in circuit. They will range from 460 to 490 ohms. so if they read fine, I would just leave the sugar coating on there. If you want to replace them, have fun hunting identical 470 Ohm NOS 2W Metal Oxide resistors.
If you really, really want to change them, any 2W Metal Oxide resistors will do. They are modern ceramic construction though.

Oh, I see. Yeah it suddenly struck me that it might have something with the clear coating to do, 'cause the surface was matte or satin instead of being glossy like similar resistors in the amp.

I think I'll leave them as they are for now. Maybe replace them in the future. So then I'll have to buy 470 Ohm 2W Metal Oxide resistors, right? Does the fact that they aren't the original type affect the tone of the amp in any way?

I would test them to be 100% positive, but no, they will not disrupt the heavenly tones of your beloved Export. :evil:

A lot of Boogie owners have been running thier amps with blown ones for years. Your's may be sweeter due to the sugar coating. When they are bad, they are exploded in two or cracked with a black line in the mid section of the resistor. I just test mine occassionaly for drift. Sometimes a red plating tube can over heat them and lower the resistance value. They are really there as a safety measure for tube reliability. Old Marshall's never had them, but added them later for safety and reliability. It gave the fuse time to blow as it popped the screen grid so the whole power amp did not get melted during a red plate situation. If you have a quick power tube failure, they simply explode, then the fuse blows.

Ok, thanks for the help. Speaking of my beloved Export, I'll be posting some pics next week JUST TO SHOW OFF. :twisted:

Back