What's the worst that can happen?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph_68

Reaction score
Nobody was able to anything in regards to the rating system of Winged C 6L6's in my last post. (The pair I have are rated at 27/2.3 on the boxes and I have no idea where this falls on their scale.)

I am just going to pop them in my Nomad 55.

What is the worst that can happen if they run too hot or cold for the fixed bias? I'm not going to blow up my amp am I? :shock:

You could trash your outut section.

You should find out what the amp needs as far as tube specs and then proceed with the tube change.

Well, who sold you those =C=s? Did you tell them what amp they were for? Maybe the numbers on the boxes are telling you how many amps they are drawing and at what voltage. I don't know how they rate their tubes.

I can tell you that I completely empathize with you about Mesa's power tubes; sometimes it seems like they are measured by the same QC standards as any household light bulb.

Hang on to your new tubes for the time being, but you may want to consult with an amp tech or even with Mesa themselves if you are going to proceed with them. Honestly, I'd probably just go with some Rubies from Doug's site.

Groove Tubes relabels those winged C tubes also. You can match up the mesa color code with Grooves # system and be safe.

For what it's worth I spoke to my amp tech and an independent repair place when I had some questions about my amp. They both said that the 6L6 mode in Mesa's is cold enough that you could run just about any 6L6 and it wouldn't get out of crossover distortion. I personally would do what domct203 said and get a Bias Rite and find what your amp is running at to be on the safe side. A little prevention goes a long way. Good luck!

Thanks for some excellent responses. I picked up the Winged C's yesterday (Saturday) and the amp tech who recommended them earlier in the week wasn't in. This shop is an authorized Mesa dealer and where I bought my Nomad. Also the Tech already knows my amp, but to be sure I guess I just have to be patient (this is hard for me) and wait until tomorrow and verify that I picked up the right grade of tubes - especially as they were a $60 investment.

This pair was right next to the Mesa branded 6L6s area in the store case as if they were already organized as an option for Mesa owners, so I am probably going to get the go ahead from the amp tech. However, based on what many of you have said here, I am thinking about it more and will probably at the very least ask if the tech can take a reading off my amp and see where the bias is set so I can be sure.

Again thanks!

It never hurts to be on the safe side of things. White smoke from an amp is never a good thing. Post the results!

Got the go ahead from my amp tech. He said that the "27" on the box is indeed the plate voltage and the "2.3" the number for the pair matching.

I will post the tone results tonight...

joseph_68 said:
Got the go ahead from my amp tech. He said that the "27" on the box is indeed the plate voltage and the "2.3" the number for the pair matching.

I will post the tone results tonight...

I hope he told you '27' was the plate CURRENT !!! :oops: :D

Yeah, 27 is the plate current - not the "voltage". :shock:

So, the Winged C's sound more focused and compressed in comparison with the Mesa 6L6 STR 440s. The bottom line is that The amp sounded great before (minus the **** tube rattle), but after the A/B comparison I would say that the Winged C's come out ahead a bit in a more focused tone AND the construction quality appears a rank above the Mesa tubes.

I did have to pull the Winged C's out a 2nd time and squeeze those bear trap clamps tighter. The pins for the Winged C 6L6s are a bit smaller than the Mesa tubes, so they are not quite as snug in the socket. I have the clamps helping to keep 'em nice and snug against the socket now.

All in all, I think I am happy with the change. We'll see how long they last!

Latest posts

Back