what's the difference between the studio 22 and the DC3 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
Looking in to these two little amps and would like to know the differences between them. Are they the same amp tone wise?

If I recall, a DC3 has two channels each independent controls (volume, master, tone controls) but I'm not sure if it comes with a graphic EQ likes it bigger brother DC5.

Studio .22+ comes with a Graphic with is essential for drive channel. You could tailor your tone with the graphic. Not I'm not familiar with a "plain" Studio .22 if it has the 5 band EQ.

As far as tone, I would think they would be similiar. You do have the advantage of DC3 of independent tone controls and not shared like the Studio .22.

Thanks, I'll look up if the DC3 has the eq. Thanks for the info.

DC3 always has the graphic eq, so do DC5 and DC10, DC2 doesn't.
DC3 is two separate sets of controls, studio.22 is shared controls.
Studio.22 has a voicing similar to mark series, DCs have a lead channel that's half way between mark series and rectos.

There are four versions of the studio.22, "+" and "non+", with and without graphic eq.
"+" determines if it has "lead master" which is a gain/volume control for lead channel. Both "+" and "non+" may and may not come with the graphic eq onboard.

Tone wise, what's the preference? It seems the dc3 has a lot more going for it. Thanks for the info and time on this.

jamme61 said:
Tone wise, what's the preference? It seems the dc3 has a lot more going for it. Thanks for the info and time on this.

I really don't know cause i've never tried a dc series amp. Separate controls are really a big plus but i can't comment on tone.

Mrmot said:
DC3 always has the graphic eq, so do DC5 and DC10, DC2 doesn't.
Oh, the DC2 is the one w/o the 5 Band EQ Graphic.
Mrmot said:
There are four versions of the studio.22, "+" and "non+", with and without graphic eq.
"+" determines if it has "lead master" which is a gain/volume control for lead channel. Both "+" and "non+" may and may not come with the graphic eq onboard.
I don't know if this is true: I have a Studio .22+, but mine did not come with a push / pull potentiometer switch on the first volume just incase you lose your footswitch and you want to switch to the lead channel. Are some Studio .22+s have this features? (Yeah, I know, just use a cable and ground the 1/4" tip to switch channel)

Seems like the DC3 would be the better buy over the Studio .22+ but seems like there's more Studio .22+ owners than DC3 owners and not sure why the Dual Caliber Series was short lived. I thought they were pretty cool amps something like a stripped down version of Mark IV. (I emphaised stripped down version just incase Mark IV owners flame me and said a DC Series is not even close).

I have a DC-3 right now, and owned a .22 with EQ in the past.

These two amps are very similar - the difference in controls have been accurately spelled out in the prior posts.

The .22 is like a souped up Vox. Great chime in the clean channel, but it breaks up early. If you want to play with any significant level of overdrive in the lead channel, your clean sound isn't going to be pristine. But it's a real nice break-up. The lead sound in the .22 is awesome - very much a Mark series vibe, and with the EQ you can really get the thing to sing and sustain beautifully.

The DC-3 is definitely more versatile because of its separate controls for each channel. It's got more clean headroom. The lead channel is real nice too though, and you can get pretty aggressive if you want to.

Last but not least, the .22 is a very loud 22 watts, but the DC-3 is a VERY loud unit.

Both are great amps. Having owned both, if I had to pick one, I'd go with the DC-3 simply because it's a more versatile amplifier.

RR said:
I don't know if this is true: I have a Studio .22+, but mine did not come with a push / pull potentiometer switch on the first volume just incase you lose your footswitch and you want to switch to the lead channel. Are some Studio .22+s have this features? (Yeah, I know, just use a cable and ground the 1/4" tip to switch channel)
I dunno, mine doesn't have this push-pull pot that you mention and i don't think that the non+ version have... nobody mentions it

I've never heard of, or seen, the push/pull pot on this amp either. To my knowledge, the "+" designation simply means that you have the lead master pot, which gives you much more control over the relative volumes of both channels.

Sorry guys, I may have made it up the "Push / Pull" pot to change channel on a Studio .22+ if you lose your footswitch. :?

But isn't DC3 a quartet of EL84s while the Studio .22+ is dual EL84s? So there's an output power difference[?]

Yes, definitely an overall output difference. The .22s do only have the two EL84s, whereas the DC-3 has 4. The .22 will do fine in most small rooms, and will be plenty for rehearsals unless you're competing with a half stack turned up loud. The DC-3 is noticeably louder earlier on in the range, and has much more clean headroom. I beleive the .22 is rated at 22 watts, as the name would imply, and the DC-3 is rated at 35. Both these ratings are definitely conservative, and I defy you to turn up a DC-3 past 5 or 6 on the master with the lead gain at 7 or beyond.

When I was playing my .22, (and this is a long time ago now), I was in a trio, and we were playing 4 or 5 nights a week in rooms that held up to 200 people, and we were not micing things up. That should give you an idea of what the amp can do. I eventually started running it through a 2x12 closed back mesa vertical cab to fatten the sound, and the thing would kill any 50 watt marshall stack it was put up against - hands down - in terms of volume and tone. I wish I had never sold that amp.

I rarely use my DC-3 any more, but generally when I do I use it alone with no extensions in small rooms. That amp also sounds massive through a quad box, by the way. That's the one thing about these amps that few people talk about - if you use them as a head to drive a bigger speaker cab, they become totally different animals, and you will be floored by the girth of the output.

Back