What's a IIB sound like?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
I've played a Mk I reissue, A Mark IV, and I've heard IIC+s in recordings i guess, but what does a Mk IIB sound like? Or a Mk III, for that matter?

What I don't understand is if they were on to a winner with the Mark IIC+, why did they stop its production in favour of the Mark III which is clearly an inferior amp?

the Mark 3 's regardless of stripe designation are all good amps. The Mark 2 simply didn't have the inbetween rhythm 2 channel.

While there are some sweet sounds coming out of the 2C+ , the mark 3 heads can easily be contenders.The mark 4 is no slouch either but does have alot more plumbing inside it that can make it a little congested sounding if abused.

The Mark 2B is a good amp that offers almost as much gain as the C series. THe clean is very good adn so far, it seems like there is a certain midrange character about it that differs from the C's.

Plus, as far as I know, the Mark 2B is powered by two 6l6's whereas the 2C+ is utilizing 4 power tubes among other things like hte simulclass options and such

the mk2 b i had was powered by 4 6l6 tubes with the switch in the 100 watt position and the two outer with the switch in the 60watt position
i found the best sound for me was the 60 watt position and it was loud enough for most playing situations it had similar crunch and lead channel
has the mk 4 but lacked the verstitality that the clean channel gives ,plus it seemed harder to dial in a sound because it shared controls for both channels ,it had the eq that could be used on the solo channel to shape the sound ibit more..

holdsworth said:
What I don't understand is if they were on to a winner with the Mark IIC+, why did they stop its production in favour of the Mark III which is clearly an inferior amp?

That's funny. Your MK IV probably has the same OT, PT and Clean and Lead circuit and possibly the same reverb. :shock:

rippingrudy said:
It's called "Snakeoil".

Mesa has been and still is a very progressive company.
Even on their newer products they strive to make them better
and add versatility. Just look at each amps lineage, They all start out as an A,B,C,+, III with a half dozen stripes and series, IV A and B or Series I and II.

Personally, I think it is prototyping on the public, but it's often a
happy accident and sounds good. Sometimes, it even pisses me off.

I have never played a IIB but was suprised to see this one go for $3K on ebay. That is what people are paying for a IIC+!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=220038980764&id=

Boogiebabies said:
holdsworth said:

That's funny. Your MK IV probably has the same OT, PT and Clean and Lead circuit and possibly the same reverb. :shock:

Really? I could have saved a few quid and got myself a Mark III then. :shock:

...I love my Mark IV though, there's just something about them.

Back