What does the F100 sound like? Is it like a MK series ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisrzz

Reaction score
I looking at getting a F100 head. Ive owned MK IIIs, MK IV., and a MK II. Does anyone what the F100 sound like?

Simple and almost sterile. I plan some day to pick up a second to see if I like how a stereo set up for keys sounds. If you're looking for flavor this may not be it. It was the follow up to the DC series which I own or have owned all but the DC10 and those have much more flavor to play with.

There's nothing like trying out new amps but after owning the Marks you have owned you may be disappointed if that's where your expectations are.

If that's the case I would steer you to the DC5 as long as you don't need bedroom levels which this amp without a volume mod doesn't seem to do. In your face and maybe the most gigged mesa ever. I can only imagine the DC10 would be a monster. The F-100 is no demon slayer.

It's nothing like a Mark. I have an F-50 combo and primarily just use the clean channel as a pedal platform. The drive channel is decent, but no where near as good as my Mark IV.

It's been a long time since I sold my F30, but it's a good amp. Cleans are great.

The dirty channel is unique. The tone stack works similar to a Mark series, in that it controls the frequency balance in the preamp. So you can go from tight to fuzz-like styles of distortion. In fact, one of my favorite sounds was to dime the bass and roll of the treble to get a Smashing Pumkpins type of tone.

But the overdrive channel has a lot of top end roll off in the preamp so it won't have the articulation of a IIC+/MkIV/etc. I guess in that regard it's "recto-ish", but if you A/B'd an F series with a Recto, they sound nothing a like.

The lack of a GEQ (F series have a fixed V curve in Contour mode) was a deal breaker for me so I sold it. It's a cool amp and I'd definitely grab one again if the price was right. I just wouldn't use it as my main amp.

I had an F50 combo. The cleans were really good, and drive channel could span from a light drive to raging fury. Think of it as an amp that took a Fender Deluxe Reverb as a starting point, and then added a beast drive channel. I liked the amp, but my back didn't....I sold it a while back to help finance a Mark V 25 head. In fat mode, the Mark's cleans are similar, although I wouldn't say the Mark's drive sounds are the same. Still, as much as I like the Mark V 25, I'd pick up an F30 or F50 head if one became available at a reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back