What preamps are you guys using........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quad main pre through a behringer mixer, mixing my triaxis,studio pre,2120 digitech,and gr50 roland .amps are mesa 50/50 and a vht 2150 and a mk 1 2:90 , ev speakers and mesa boogie [2] 1 x 12 cabs theile and [4] 1 x 12 open backs

I have an

Engl E530

Rocktron Xpression

Marshall 1960 AV (To be replaced by a Rectifier 4x12).

Mesa 2:One Hundred

With the modern mode activated, my sound is just amazing! :D

Tri-Axis into a 50/50 power amp. (older one with the low power) Also use a Roland GP-8 effects processor (old school I know!), TS-9 OD and a Seymour Duncan pick up booster. Cab is a Carvin 4X12 with 75 watt Celestions.

Studio Pre--->Lexicon MPX G2--->Simul 2:90--->2 Marshall 1960 4x12

I have three preamp atm, Mesa Boogie Formula, Yamaha DG1000, Marshall JMP-1.
073.jpg

ENGL E580
MESA TriAxis
Soldano X99
VooDoo Modded JMP-1

I use the ENGL pre mostly, but at times I break out the X99 or the TA...variety is the spice of life.

I use the ENGL 850/100 power amp except with the TA and then I use my 2:90. Everything runs to a pair of ENGL PRO straight 4x12's.

IMG_1125.jpg

lionel69 said:
quad main pre through a behringer mixer, mixing my triaxis,studio pre,2120 digitech,and gr50 roland .amps are mesa 50/50 and a vht 2150 and a mk 1 2:90 , ev speakers and mesa boogie [2] 1 x 12 cabs theile and [4] 1 x 12 open backs

I JUST BOUGHT A
A.R.T. SGX 2000 TUBE PREAMP EFFECTS PROCESSOR
THIS IS GOING TO BE MY MAIN PREAMP THIS IS THE ****
24BIT WITH AN ANALOG MIX SWITCH

AUDIODW said:
I have three preamp atm, Mesa Boogie Formula, Yamaha DG1000, Marshall JMP-1.
073.jpg

Cool setup. I have been thinking of adding the SPX90 to my rig. How do you like it?
And, how do you deal with the latency of the MPX-1 when changing patches?

Some of you guys make me very, very jealous ;P

I recently got my Quad back from the shop and I can't stop playing it. I'll be running it w/ a Peavey classic 50/50 and a Lexi MPX100 as my main rig, and I won't have been happier with my rig in my life ;p The Quad almost disgusts me with how unbelievably good it sounds, even when I'm farting around and running it direct or through the power section of little Flextone practice amp. Since I got it back, I've had to fire it up at least twice or three times a day and wank around, even if I don't have time to do anything serious with it ;P

Because I have a bit of trouble making people jealous just by virtue of my rig itself (though not my tone, heh, this thing is glorious!) I should point out that I originally bought my Quad for, if I'm not mistaken, $350, with the footswitch. I got into Rack gear at the right time (about 6 years ago) but I really wish I would've taken more advantage of it: I seem to recall MP1s going for about $50 at the time, and yet I never picked one up :( At least I got my Quad, eh?

JP6--->Studiopre--->G-major----->2:50---->Marshall 4x12 (thinking about moving to 2-2x12's)

Simple, yet effective!!

Depends on the tone I want but its very basic.

Quad preamp into a '78 Marshall 50 watt 2104 combo with an added effects loop.

It's my only pre amp and its either with or without the Quad just straight into the 2104 with maybe a pedal of some sort to boost the gain.

Rocktron Prophesy 2 --> Mesa Rectifier Stereo 2x100 power amp ---> Korg DTR 1000 --> Furman Power Conditioner --> Mesa 4x12 oversized

3333426667_803677c030_b.jpg

Self explanatory :)
but just in case someone is searching....

Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp
into
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
into
Mesa 2:100 Power Amp

Cabinet is oversize recto 4x12. (Straight chassis with slant front).

How do the Quad X and the MP-1 and JMP-1 compare to the Triaxis?

I used the MP-1 for a few years and loved it, but hated the glitch between certain presets. The lead tones were beautiful though!

I used a JMP-1 for a few years also and really liked it, but thought it lacked bass and gain.

I had a Quad X for a few weeks, but knew nothing about tubes or tube amps and sold it because it hissed like a pissed off cobra!

I really want a Triaxis, but can't afford one just yet. This is why I'm asking.

I recently got a Quad that lived in the following studios during its lifetime:

Oceanway - original purchaser
Sunset Sound
Capitol - via Jay Graydon

Everybody who's anybody in L.A. played it at one point and Greg Howe unsuccessfully tried to buy it a couple of years ago.

It's fantastic but I haven't really had a lot of time to monkey with it. I ran it through the power stage of my Colosseum Mark IIC+ and it sounded monstrous.

ESP123,

how are you liking that combo of the Prophesy and the 2:100? I'm saving up for a 2:100 to match with my ENGL E530 and am interested in your thoughts about it.

I really want to try a Prophesy also!

Latest posts

Back