What preamps are you guys using........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studio pre 50/50 pow hiwatt dr103
mygear.jpg

B rig(small Rig)

Behringer Vamp -->Behringer rack EQ-->Mesa 2:50-->stereo oversize 4x12

Full rig (large venue rig) (not built yet ;)

GCX (phaser, flange, boost, preamp/channel switching)-->DBX266xl (only for cleans and noise gate)-->(Studio pre)+(Recto Pre)-->Vamp(delays and choruses)-->Behringer EQ-->Mesa 2:50-->two smaller 4x12 cabs (Marshall MG series cabs replaced speakers with celestion)

Limited space "overseas" rig (for shows far away where travel space is an issue)
Crybaby-->Boss Phaser-->MXR Wylde-->EB VP jr-->Crate GFX-212

Both the Full and B rigs use the same pedalboard
Dunlop 535Q + EB Vol Pedal + Ground Control Pro

neilt said:
Engl e530 into Recto 2:100
Hey! I have an Engl E530, too! I just bought a used Mesa/Boogie DC-3 head, and I'm sending the instrument output of my Engl preamp into the instrument input of the clean channel on my DC-3, using both the DC-3's preamp and power amp stages to re-amp my Engl. Works great!

Carvin Quad X - Amp into a 50/50 G-Major in FX loop, and out to 2 road ready thiele boogie cabs with EVM12L .

CARVIN.jpg

Egnater M4 (SL2, T/D, Erect, COD modules)
G Major
2:90
Amp Gizmo to control switching on 2:90
Stereo 2x12 w V 30's
DMC Ground Control
Roctron Banshee Talk Box, Wah, Volume Pedal, Expression Pedal w Ground Control for delay mix, Boss Octave, Keeley Compressor, BB Preamp
Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth

The 2:90 just replaced a Carvin TS-100. Much better lows and low-mids. I had my TS-100 modded w a Pentode/Triode switch. I sure miss that feature. The M4 replaced a Mark IV which I also miss, but I am absolutely loving the Egnater modular stuff!

separate Racks

Triaxis - 2:90 - G-Force

JMP-1 - Marshall EL34 100/100 / ADA MP-1 3TM / Digitech GSP-2101

I had 2 Rocktron Prophesy's as well, but they were just...not real enough sounding for me. they had this very plastic sound to me i just could not get over, and even after getting one at an absurd price ($300) i still sold it on ebay.

I think the ADA is probably my favorite tonewise, the Triaxis, then the JMP-1. I dont really use the Digitech anymore at all.
Dont use my sonic maximizers anymore either.

Studio Pre(which to my ears, sounds better than the Formula Pre) into Simul-Stereo 2:90 power amp.

Triaxis into a 2:90. Because I play lead, rhythm, and sing, I can't afford to tap dance on stage. With on step, I can change my preamp, power amp, and effects settings. I also keep a NS-2 and a Wah on the floor to kick in for certain parts.

I did a tone demo between an ADA MP-2 and the Triple Rectifier's preamp section. Both were A/B switched through the TR effects loop to see what the differences would be between the preamps.

Basically I tweaked the ADA MP-2 to sound as close the settings I had on the TR and recorded the difference between the two with the same material.

I ended up selling the TR, replacing it with a Mesa Boogie 2:90. Sounds a bit beefier in deep mode.

Tone Demo Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aIZsmlRQo

Quad pre into VHT 2/90/2 to Bogner Uberkab

quite a massive and deep sound I must say :)

Recto Recording Preamp --> TC GMajor --> 20/20 --> stereo open back 1x12s with EVs

I use a Mesa strategy 500 power amp into a 2x15 marshall JCM800 bass and a 4x12 marshall JCM900 lead quad. A few pedals and a mix of the following preamps...

Mesa quad (use it the most... old faithful!)
Rocktron Pirahna
Behringer v-amp pro
Rockman sustainor... great cleans on its own and fierce to drive the quad with for some shred tones...
Korg pandoras box mk I (not just a practice toy when put through that power stage above!)

Feel free to check some of the sounds out here... from memory a little bit of everything can be heard... http://www.myspace.com/anguskeay

Latest posts

Back