What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
songrider said:
I have also looked into the Carvin V-3's and actually ordered one at one point till the support team kept lying about the ship date. I cancelled and shortly after all the Reviews about bad ones started comming up. (I did have an older X100B for 5 years that NEVER let me down) But I evidently skirted trouble there as well.

Mesa just seems to have it all..... Great sounds, KILLER support, un-matchable build quality.....

Yeah, Carvin's older stuff was legendary for their build quality and good tone...but recently they have skimped on the quality. I bought a Legacy 100 head earlier this year and it worked for about 10 minutes before frying. It was used so there was no warranty. Now I've ordered a Roadster cause Mesa has sold me on their build quality (not to mention their supreme tone).

Totally a trial and error thing...I was amp shopping last year, and I had my mind set on a Fender Bassman reissue...I tried it, and I HATED it...then I took a trip to my nearest guitar center (suck), and played through a dual rec and a stilletto...not my cup of tea...then I noticed an unassumming little 1x12 lonestar special...blew my mind, and my wallet...the most versatile amp I have ever played through...w/ my trusty Strat and a g-major processor, I really feel comfortable playing any type of music at gigs...I will have this amp FOREVER...Nothing I have ever played offered the versitality and tone at the price...Mesa Boogie makes life too easy for us modern day guitarists...

Gear-Monkey said:
Oh and I love Recto Tread Plate.

+1!! haha I know amp aesthetics aren't everything, and just because it looks good it doesn't mean it'll sound good, but......it just looks freakin' awesome to me

-AJH

I finally made my decision after hearing the Marduk - Warschau live cd. There is a part where Morgan changes guitars, then hits a quick chord to make sure he is still "on". The intense bark of that quick chord sold me.

I have been playing Marshalls since 1986 and eventually grew tired of modding this and that to eek out more and more from the amp. Did not like any of the new Marshalls so I was determined to stick with what I had(JCM800 Super Lead converted to a 2203). Until that one short chord....

Now the proud owner of a 3 ch dual Rectifier. Never going back.

For me it wasn't any particular band or guitar player that got me going. I tried a few brands when I went out for my first tube amp and Marshall it was.

I bought a used TSL602 (hey, 3 channels must be versatile :roll: ) and changed the V1 from 12AX7 to 12AT7, speakers became classic lead 80 and V30 and eventually I traded it for DSL100, traded that for a club&country 4140 and bought another JCM800 4010.
The last two were my dual setup until someone offered to trade his blue angel for my 4140.

That was the first reason for me to start playing boogie (just a few months ago), but it sure feels good. No particular reason, just coincidence.

PPhhhuyyy

For me it was the grinding buzzsaw sound from stryper's soldiers under command and in God we trust.

ESP Horizon
Dual recto, sold
now torn between express 5:50 and the roadster combo. Not sure which one I'll get.

my good friend and ex guitar teacher J.P.swore by Mesa..
richb
www.myspace.com/richbrymer

Being a fussy bugger, I wanted a 212 combo with four channels, two FX loops and onboard reverb.

There was one.

Road King. :)

Carrying one is like wrestling a VW Beetle, but worth the effort. :shock:

:D :D :D I traded my Marshall TSL-122 combo for a 2-channel Dual Rectifier. Haven't looked back since.

Since then, I've owned:
2-Dual Rec's (both 2-channels)
1-Nomad 55 1x12 combo
1-Heartbreaker 2x12 combo
2-DC-2 combos
2-DC-3 combos
1-DC-5 combo
1-DC-10 combo
1-Blue Angel 1x12 combo
2-Mark IV heads/combos (versions A & B)
1-Tremoverb head

Still have:
1-DC-3 combo
1-DC-10 2x12 combo
1-Blue Angel 1x12 combo

Mesa is by far the best bang for the buck. I've owned Soldanos, Marshalls, THD's, etc. and always come back to Mesa.

Looking to get a Tremoverb combo next year too.

Right now, I've just re-discovered my Blue Angel, so everything else is in mothballs for a while.

When I first started playing, I heard Metallica used Mesa, so I decided I'd give it a try too. Back then I really wasn't familiar with anything other than low end Marshall, Fender, and Peavey amps. It's for the same reason I wanted an SG when I started playing (because Iommi used them), though I can't stand to play them now.

I bought a Mark III head in the late 80's because several of my heroes played Mesas: Pete Townsend, Andy Summers, Santana to a lesser extent. Plus, those slick, understated ads in GP took their toll on me. I'd been playing through a Fender Bassman, a silly Carvin before that... Seemed like Boogies were the most serious / affordable / versatile amp available to me at the time. Plus, I knew a guy who worked there, so I was able to order it directly through him...

I kept it for about 3 years, then traded it in for a JCM800, which I still have and have no regrets over.

I recently got my LSC because I had a hankering for a combo that would kick *** and give me a range of good, usable tones. Which it does in spades.

I wrote a geeky review of this process here: http://www.damonwood.com/blog/?p=18

For me it was versatility.Everytime I need a all in one amp I end up buying a Mesa.Most amps have either a great clean sound and a weak dirty sound or vice versa.The Mesa's seem to have both that keeps me happy.

Marilyn Manson told me in a dream to get one. I'm serious.

It's funny that I went with Mesa because most of the bands I liked when I was younger were marshall users. When I played on Marshalls I liked them but Mesa's tone just excited me in a way that I knew I had to have one. The clean was great and the lead channel knocked my socks off!

When I was a lad, watching/hearing Carlos.

When I grew up and was just barely able to afford one, the reputation of Mesa Boogie.

Now that I am a more mature player that can buy whatever I want, I choose Boogie (DC5 and MKIII + Thiele cabs) over others for the tone, incredible versatility, and value ...MUCH cheaper than booteekers, yet I never feel like I "cheaped out" with my Boogies simply because they sound soooo good!

Edward

edward said:
When I was a lad, watching/hearing Carlos.

When I grew up and was just barely able to afford one, the reputation of Mesa Boogie.

Now that I am a more mature player that can buy whatever I want, I choose Boogie (DC5 and MKIII + Thiele cabs) over others for the tone, incredible versatility, and value ...MUCH cheaper than booteekers, yet I never feel like I "cheaped out" with my Boogies simply because they sound soooo good!

Edward

You make such a good point. Boogies aren't nearly as expensive as the boutique companies but in no way do I feel like they are cheap. They are well constructed, fantastic sounding amps and I think the price is right for a professional quality amp.

Back