What is the best 2x12" for the money?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicsix

Reaction score
Recto?, Engl Vintage?, Genz Benz G-Flex?

Vertical or horizontal?

Mainly interested in v30s, plus those in the g-flex.

Not interested in opinions on Marshall's 2x12s (cheap MDF construction) or Avatar (not available in Australia).

Go! :D

Tough to beat the Avatar Vintage 212's. Sound bigger than most 412's but weigh much less. Get one with a Hellatone 60 and a Hellatone 30.

LOL

The guy just said they aren't available in Australia.

Try out a Soldano cab, I just got one a while back and I love it. It has Eminence Legends 75w speakers in it, they sound sweet 8)

mrd said:
LOL

Try out a Soldano cab, I just got one a while back and I love it. It has Eminence Legends 75w speakers in it, they sound sweet 8)

HAHA yeah, I know there is lots of love for Avatar out there, but no one sells them in Oz, and no one will export them.

Soldano, great cabs I'm sure, but probably too expensive.

Barry said:
the recto 2X12 horizontal is big sounding cab . Try one .

Barry, do you think the 2x12 vert. is nearly as big sounding as your 4x12 recto?

i personally love the Genz-Benz 2x12. it is MASSIVE sounding. and my favorite feature is probably the handles, if youre going to be moving the cab much then this cab is for you.

manicsix said:
mrd said:
LOL

HAHA yeah, I know there is lots of love for Avatar out there, but no one sells them in Oz, and no one will export them.

Barry said:

Barry, do you think the 2x12 vert. is nearly as big sounding as your 4x12 recto?

I personally like the horizontal over the vertical . I tried both and went with the horizontal . Your findings may be different .

Barry said:
manicsix said:
mrd said:
LOL

Barry said:

I personally like the horizontal over the vertical . I tried both and went with the horizontal . Your findings may be different .

Sorry, I misread that. Seems not a lot of people go for 2x12" vert cabs. I just had them on my mind because there is an engl for sale in my area.

I have a Recto 2X12 cabv with V30's and an Avatar 2X12 Cab loaded with
Mesa C90's. I like the recto cab better, together they sound great but if I am only running one cab the Recto cab is my favorite.
It sounds huge for a 2X12.

Budda 2x12 open back or Budda 2x12 closed back are pretty sweet cabs. You could probably get one for $600 in the States. Great bass response. Don't know how much they would be in Australia, or if they are available at all. Or you could get a Hiwatt 2x12 but those are **** expensive.

I'm hearing great things about Avatar cabs, although I've never owned one myself..

I've got a Basson 2x12 with 75 watt Eminence Legends that I got as an extension cab for my ROV and I gotta say it doesn't do the recto sound justice. The cleans sound pretty good, (brightness is no problem) but it doesn't seem to have much bass response for the chugga chugga.
Sounded pretty good with my buddies Twin, though, if you're doing the Fender sound.

Just thought I'd throw that out there

JF Omalycat said:
I've got a Basson 2x12 with 75 watt Eminence Legends that I got as an extension cab for my ROV and I gotta say it doesn't do the recto sound justice. The cleans sound pretty good, (brightness is no problem) but it doesn't seem to have much bass response for the chugga chugga.
Sounded pretty good with my buddies Twin, though, if you're doing the Fender sound.

Just thought I'd throw that out there

i dont man... mine does the chugga chugga really well.... i like the legends when paired with a v30 type speaker better than when alone but the basson can definitely do the chugga chugga

if your looking for band for your buck Randall makes some pretty solid cabs..... they have a 2x12 with v30s which compliment the rectos very well..... built better than the avatars IMO

jdurso said:
[

i dont man... mine does the chugga chugga really well.... i like the legends when paired with a v30 type speaker better than when alone but the basson can definitely do the chugga chugga

With your Roadster? Hmmmm. You pushing 50 or 100 watts?
I was wondering if I wasn't under powering the cab, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know. 90 watt Black Shadow along with a 150 watt cab. Maybe I should try the Basson by itself...Anyone have problems under powering a cab?

Sorry to get off-topic.

Back