What is the best 2x12" for the money?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manicsix said:
Recto?, Engl Vintage?, Genz Benz G-Flex?

Vertical or horizontal?

Mainly interested in v30s, plus those in the g-flex.

Not interested in opinions on Marshall's 2x12s (cheap MDF construction) or Avatar (not available in Australia).

Go! :D

None of em.
Best value for money option is to do what I did.

Buy 2 x V30's for $A200 each.
Get a local guy to build you a 2x12 cab with the same dimensions as a Mesa one with better quality timber & Aluminium handles- mine cost $A250.
Get the cab wired so you can use it alone, or in combination with a speaker in a combo amp (in case you ever get one or need to use one).
Also wire it so it works in stereo so you can plug a 2nd guitar amp into it, or keyboard/mic.

Then you've got a much better sounding, more versatile Cab for less than half the cost of a new one :D

PS- go for horiziontal - they give better sound projection.
G'day - I'm from Newcastle NSW

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Off topic.... but how do you like that Laney GH50L?

They go cheap over here.

Bang for buck, the laney kicks major ***. It has a very cutting, lead tone. Also, bucketloads of gain are on tap. I prefer it to my JCM 800. The laney sounds a LOT better a lower volumes (no suprise), plus it has a more reasonable clean channel.

Newysurfer said:
None of em.
Best value for money option is to do what I did.

Buy 2 x V30's for $A200 each.
Get a local guy to build you a 2x12 cab with the same dimensions as a Mesa one with better quality timber & Aluminium handles- mine cost $A250.
Get the cab wired so you can use it alone, or in combination with a speaker in a combo amp (in case you ever get one or need to use one).
Also wire it so it works in stereo so you can plug a 2nd guitar amp into it, or keyboard/mic.

Then you've got a much better sounding, more versatile Cab for less than half the cost of a new one :D

PS- go for horiziontal - they give better sound projection.
G'day - I'm from Newcastle NSW

Hey Newysurfer,

That's a really good idea, although I can get a ENGL cab for about $100 more than what you paid. Not that the engl would necessarily sound better, but it would get better resale. Do you mind emailing me some pics of your cab, though?

manicsix said:
Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Off topic.... but how do you like that Laney GH50L?

They go cheap over here.

Bang for buck, the laney kicks major ***. It has a very cutting, lead tone. Also, bucketloads of gain are on tap. I prefer it to my JCM 800. The laney sounds a LOT better a lower volumes (no suprise), plus it has a more reasonable clean channel.

It's 2 channel?

Get an Avatar.... haha jk.. couldn't resist myself man.. I feel dumber after reading this thread, and i didn't think it was possible.

But if that Engl is the same as,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Standard-120W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=600327

I myself didn't play through it, but heard a Engl Powerball through it and it sounded pretty darn good. It looked to be very well made also, but really heavy (i think their like 70lbs). If you have the opportunity to try it out it may be worth a shot.

Esromeron said:
Get an Avatar.... haha jk.. couldn't resist myself man.. I feel dumber after reading this thread, and i didn't think it was possible.

But if that Engl is the same as,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Standard-120W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=600327

I myself didn't play through it, but heard a Engl Powerball through it and it sounded pretty darn good. It looked to be very well made also, but really heavy (i think their like 70lbs). If you have the opportunity to try it out it may be worth a shot.

That's the exact same cab, I think it is the vintage version though, which has "14 times folded siberian birch" vs "standard plywood".

They are heavy little buggers. I've tried it through my laney and it sounded quite good. Did the powerball head fit on top alright?

manicsix said:
Did the powerball head fit on top alright?

The head was ontop of a rack so I'm not sure, but I don't think it would, I think it would have hung off a few inches on each side. But the Powerball was a few inches wider than my Legacy.

manicsix said:
Hey Newysurfer,

That's a really good idea, although I can get a ENGL cab for about $100 more than what you paid. Not that the engl would necessarily sound better, but it would get better resale. Do you mind emailing me some pics of your cab, though?

Mine's black and looks exactly the same as a Mesa one except it's got big carry handles on both short ends and has no Mesa emblem on it. I'm not planning on ever selling mine cause I can't buy a factory made one that sounds better, or is as versatile :)

Back