What is the best 2x12" for the money?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JF Omalycat said:
jdurso said:
[

i dont man... mine does the chugga chugga really well.... i like the legends when paired with a v30 type speaker better than when alone but the basson can definitely do the chugga chugga

With your Roadster? Hmmmm. You pushing 50 or 100 watts?
I was wondering if I wasn't under powering the cab, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know. 90 watt Black Shadow along with a 150 watt cab. Maybe I should try the Basson by itself...Anyone have problems under powering a cab?

Sorry to get off-topic.

no matter what wattage your on, if you turn up you'll start pushing those speakers and filling up the cab..... remember its harder to push a closed back since the closed back encolsure is basically choking the speakers.... so at low levels things wont soudn quite right.... also the legends in the basson cabs are very hard to get to break up....v30s will breakup very early which is part of their appeal... the legends are very clean speakers that have to be pushed very hard to achieve even a little breakup..... the c90 is very similar to the legends in the way they take longer to breakup.... probably why i like the combo of v30s and the legends.... very similar to the v30s and c90s to my ears..... and someone can correct me if i'm wrong but underpowering is more relivent in the bass world..... if a roadster can power a 4x12 at 280 watts then it can power the 240 watts you have

manicsix said:
manicsix said:
Not interested in opinions on Marshall's 2x12s (cheap MDF construction) or Avatar (not available in Australia).

camsna said:
1) EarCandy.
2) Avatar.

Uhhh...

Rudee said:
Peavey JSX 212

Love the mentality... a JSX 212 is a combo amp, not a cabinet.

Anyone that can actually read? :roll:

Nice attitude... prick.

Rudee said:
manicsix said:
manicsix said:
Not interested in opinions on Marshall's 2x12s (cheap MDF construction) or Avatar (not available in Australia).

camsna said:
1) EarCandy.
2) Avatar.

Uhhh...

Rudee said:
Peavey JSX 212

Love the mentality... a JSX 212 is a combo amp, not a cabinet.

Anyone that can actually read? :roll:

Nice attitude... prick.

If you don't have the intelligence or patience to read the thread, don't bother.

Plus, abusing me doesn't really help your situation. If anything, it just amplifies (pun intended) what I said above.

jdurso said:
if a roadster can power a 4x12 at 280 watts then it can power the 240 watts you have

Don't have a Roadster, dude, just a 50watt ROV combo. (that's why i asked if you were pushing the Roadie at 50 or 100 watts) :)

Looks like I'm going to pick up an older Fender 2x12 with V30's in it today. (great deal on craigslist) I'm going to mess around with some different combinations and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

This is what I'm getting next:

http://portcityamps.com/wave2OS.html

JF Omalycat said:
jdurso said:
if a roadster can power a 4x12 at 280 watts then it can power the 240 watts you have

Don't have a Roadster, dude, just a 50watt ROV combo. (that's why i asked if you were pushing the Roadie at 50 or 100 watts) :)

Looks like I'm going to pick up an older Fender 2x12 with V30's in it today. (great deal on craigslist) I'm going to mess around with some different combinations and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

well i'm talking about when i run my roadster on 50watts..... i'm actually powering a 4x12 diezel and a beasson 2x12.... thats 430 combined between the two and sounds great to me

Well, I grabbed that Fender cab. It's a 2x12 vertical slant with V-30's, and sounds awesome mixed with the Shadow. Sounded pretty good running by itself, too.
But mixed with the Basson, it sounds absolutely incredible.
The Eminence Legends in the Basson are pretty bright to my ears. Running alone with the ROV, it seemed to enhance some of the rectos fizziness in a way I didn't like. ... But coupled with the V-30's, there's a good bit more of mid range growl and punch, with the Legends adding some good pick attack and clarity. Right now the ROV's Vintage channel is about as good as I could ever want.
Luv it.

8)

what about vader cabs? a bunch of these new death metal bands are endorsed by them and they are like $400 for a 2x12 and $700 for a 4x12.

This tread has some real whacky stuff going down. What's up with the Avatar? It must have been mentioned a dozen times and the dude from oz said "no Avatar". Then this guy blows a fuse in this quote.
Nice attitude... prick.

I've owned the Stiletto/traditional cab, a recto cab, an avatar cab and finally two Road King II cabs. The RK cabs are the only ones I use now, even with different heads. IMO, the best sounding cab I have EVER used hands down. Plus, they're so versatile with you being able to choose open or closed or both. I loved the dynamic range of both highs and lows. They're more expensive, but considering what I paid to buy all those others only to sell them, I should've just went straight to the RK. Oh, I just remembered: I did, but it took over 4 months for them to arrive after I ordered them.

Seek out an opportunity to plug into one and I think you'll be blown away as I was. As soon as I plugged into my new RK cab and strummed a chord, I knew my boomy recto cab was history and I had finally found the holy grail of cabs (for me personally anyways).

JF Omalycat said:
Well, I grabbed that Fender cab. It's a 2x12 vertical slant with V-30's, and sounds awesome mixed with the Shadow. Sounded pretty good running by itself, too.
But mixed with the Basson, it sounds absolutely incredible.
The Eminence Legends in the Basson are pretty bright to my ears. Running alone with the ROV, it seemed to enhance some of the rectos fizziness in a way I didn't like. ... But coupled with the V-30's, there's a good bit more of mid range growl and punch, with the Legends adding some good pick attack and clarity. Right now the ROV's Vintage channel is about as good as I could ever want.
Luv it.

8)

good stuff man... i love the v30s with the legends... its a great combo... especially when you get the v30s broken in..... they still retain their attack but the fizziness seems to lose its presence which is a good thing

PC Biz said:
This is what I'm getting next:

http://portcityamps.com/wave2OS.html

nice man... when you get it let us know what you think... ive never tried my mesa with one of those (have played a vht cl50 through oen and sounded awesome)..... im a big fan of those vented cabs... i wish i had the $$$ to just buy cabs all day to see what i like best with the roadster but such is not the case... yet

plan-x said:
This tread has some real whacky stuff going down. What's up with the Avatar? It must have been mentioned a dozen times and the dude from oz said "no Avatar". Then this guy blows a fuse in this quote.
Nice attitude... prick.

its the fact he stated right from the get go that neither avatar nor earcandy ship to australia which is where he's located.... then 3 or 4 more people mention avatar.... then something was mentioned about a jsx 212 which they probably meant as the cab but it was interpreted as the combo to which someone was insulted and called someone else out.... haha.... that didnt help but the point is there is no anti-avatar its just that he cant get them in austalia... same goes for the earcandy cabs.... personally avatars sound good just dont seem to be able to handle the cranked recto.... they're just not made tick enough nor were really intended for that use in their design.... on the other hand they sound awesome with fenders

plan-x said:
Nice attitude... prick.

Haha, it sure does. The same guy PM'd me and said "Suck my dick you aussie low life!!!!" Don't forget some guys also hijacked the thread and started crapping on about roadsters (no offense to the amp intended)

jdurso said:
its the fact he stated right from the get go that neither avatar nor earcandy ship to australia which is where he's located.... then 3 or 4 more people mention avatar.... then something was mentioned about a jsx 212 which they probably meant as the cab but it was interpreted as the combo to which someone was insulted and called someone else out.... haha.... that didnt help but the point is there is no anti-avatar its just that he cant get them in austalia... same goes for the earcandy cabs.... personally avatars sound good just dont seem to be able to handle the cranked recto.... they're just not made tick enough nor were really intended for that use in their design.... on the other hand they sound awesome with fenders

I actually googled JSX 2x12" cab, and realised there is no such thing, only then did I tell the guy to actually read :D

Randy - I wouldn't worry about under powering a cab. I ran a 25w Peavey Bravo through my 4x12 Rectifier at gig volumes and it sounded really good. I was shocked.

Manicsix - Any luck on finding a 2x12 for the Laney to date?

clutch71 said:
Randy - I wouldn't worry about under powering a cab. I ran a 25w Peavey Bravo through my 4x12 Rectifier at gig volumes and it sounded really good. I was shocked.

Manicsix - Any luck on finding a 2x12 for the Laney to date?

Hey clutch. I think I will go with an ENGL vertical with v30s. Not much else around at the moment.

Back