What effects do YOU use with your Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer44

Reaction score
Just looking for some effect ideas. If you could list the effects you use with your Dual Rec and a brief description Id appreciate it.

the band i'm in plays a wide variety of covers, so i have a few. i have a boss acoustic sim, compressor, noise gate, reverb, chorus, and tremolo, along with a tuner (all boss). i also have a dunlop mr. crybaby super wah/volume pedal.

I'm a minimalist...

I have a Boss DD-3 in the loop to fatten up my leads and smooth them out a bit.

I also have a Morley Tremonti power wah up front, which to be honest, I have really not been using too much ever since I got the delay....

that's it.... :D

Hey jtb226,,, I noticed you use a compressor with your setup.
Ive been thinking about picking one up but im not sure if they will help me at all. First off I tried a boss in GC a couple weeks back and didnt like all that clicking I heard before every note. So I couldnt really tell if its what Im after.
Im wondering if a compressor will help me playing leads?
Im looking for a tighter sound,,more clearity,better sustain.
Im hoping to use one for any leads for blues to rock to metal.
What do you use yours for? Main reason I ask is because it seems that all the sound samples I have found for a compressor on the web use it with a clean guitar. Im hoping that they will help with a distorted lead.
Any help..,,,thanks

All I use in front of any of my amps is a Maxon OD9 overdrive, an Ibanez Tube King overdrive and a Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket overdrive.

The Maxon and the Bottle Rocket are both very good - alone or together - for smoothing out the rough sound of the recto's preamp for soloing. The Tube King is much more edgy, and I use it mostly on rhythm parts.

And to the last poster, if I were to recommend just one pedal for making the Recto more sweet for solo work it would be the OD9. It's a good first choice because it works with lots of different amps. The Bottle Rocket and Tube King are less versatile for me, but I couldn't do without either one in my rig because each one does one or two things really well with the rig in my sig below.

recto-robbie said:
Hey jtb226,,, I noticed you use a compressor with your setup.
Ive been thinking about picking one up but im not sure if they will help me at all. First off I tried a boss in GC a couple weeks back and didnt like all that clicking I heard before every note. So I couldnt really tell if its what Im after.
Im wondering if a compressor will help me playing leads?
Im looking for a tighter sound,,more clearity,better sustain.
Im hoping to use one for any leads for blues to rock to metal.
What do you use yours for? Main reason I ask is because it seems that all the sound samples I have found for a compressor on the web use it with a clean guitar. Im hoping that they will help with a distorted lead.
Any help..,,,thanks

honestly, i hardly ever use my compressor. it helps with sustain, but adds too much noise to my tone to be beneficial for the type of music i'm playing (modern rock a la nickelback, creed, etc.). i am thinking about putting it on ebay for sale, as it is just taking up room on my pedalboard.

Stick with Crybaby wah's, the Tremonti is 'meh' at best. It's only got like 2/3's the wah range of a regular wah. I used the Tremonti for some time, and finally admitted to myself it just wasn't all that great. By the way, I run all before the amp, the fx loop on the ROV is stinko. I may be going back to basics soon and stripping out most of my fx.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Stick with Crybaby wah's, the Tremonti is 'meh' at best. It's only got like 2/3's the wah range of a regular wah. I used the Tremonti for some time, and finally admitted to myself it just wasn't all that great. By the way, I run all before the amp, the fx loop on the ROV is stinko. I may be going back to basics soon and stripping out most of my fx.

you run a delay in front of the amp also? how has that worked for you? the FX loop on my dual rectifier is horrid so i decided to bypass it completely. it's probably me but i feel that it give me a better tone by just using the channel master volume as the overall volume (instead of the FX volume).

i'm about to give up on my rocktron xpression all-together and just stick with some basic pedals.

Honestly, I use my delay very sparingly, but for what I tend to use it for, it's fine as is before the preamp. I mostly use wah and chorus, flange, and an overdrive. Like I said, I've been getting away from most fx, I'm trying to keep things as clean as possible these days.

Jak0lantern01 said:

The Z. Wylde wah is one of the best sounding wah through a DC in my opinion. It's thick and full and keeps a good tone through the entire range...

I'm very curious about the Slash pedal they just put out, but the price is a bit steep (I'm pretty sure there's a $50 surcharge just for the name). But I do like the idea of a wah having an LED indicator to let you know what the heck is going on down there in a loud band situation.

GUITAR
- (sometimes) Electro-Harmonix Guitar Micro-Synth
- (sometimes) Boss Inline Tuner
- Maxon OD20
- Crybaby WAH
- DOD Envelope Filter
- Line 6 Modulation Modeler
AMP

well, since the tremonti doesn't have that much of a range, what would you suggest? i want something switchless. how about the dunlop 95Q or the morley bad horsie? any experience with them?

I haven't tried the 95Q, I'm just reading about it now. I think another issue with switchless wah pedals is that there is a delay for when it shuts off, like the Tremonti. Probably worth a test drive.

jtb226 said:
well, since the tremonti doesn't have that much of a range, what would you suggest? i want something switchless. how about the dunlop 95Q or the morley bad horsie? any experience with them?

Maybe there is something wrong with the one you're using....the Morley/Tremonti has a range from the primordial ooze to icepick-in-the-ear, and thats with it's boost knob at about 10:00.

The lag-time when switching off is adjustable via a trimpot inside the pedal...this is so it doesnt just shut off instantly in the heel-down position. Takes a bit of tweaking to get it to your personal preferance, but once there its set-and-forget.

Wah with LED ---- www.analogman.com ----- they can mod your wah with and led and boss style power supply . I had my Vox Real Mccoy reissue modified this way. The LED is a must for me. It is not expensive to have this done.

As for my fx : Guitar >Vox Wah> Boss Ns2 > Xotic BB Preamp( in NS2 loop)> Analogman Mini Chorus> MXR Phase 90>Peterson Strobo Stomp

I run my TC Electronics vintage delay pedal in the loop.

Latest posts

Back