What do you stick in front of your MESA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to put an Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer and a Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor but then I found I could get a better sound without the TS9DX by putting the gain to 3 o'clock.

+Mike+

A modded CryBaby and a TS-7 modded into a TS-808 (I only use that on the clean channel in my cover band, where i need four tones.)

Otherwise, just a cable or my Sennheiser Digital 1000 (XWire) wireless. It really doesn't need anything in front.

Using a DC-5;

Bad Horsie, TS-9, BB preamp, OD-3, & TU-2. In the loop: Triboost, DD-3, DM-3, CE-2.

Less than I have .... more than I need.

I'm not familiar with some of the terminology: is front of the amp the first pedal thats plugged in from it? Someone give me tips if this sounds like signal hell:

From RK II: Boss Tuner, SPF Green Line OD, Boss Tremolo, MXR Script Phase, Maxon Vintage Series Analog Delay, Boss DD-6 DigiDelay, and J.D. Dimebag Wah.

Well, even though I don't have any distortion pedals, here's my "train" haha.

9bdf8b9d.jpg

Guitar-->Dunlop 535Q Wah-->Boss DD-6-->Danelectro Fish & Chips Eq-->TR

Hope to add a tuner, a Digitech Whammy, EVH Phaser, and Reverb. Possibly Line 6 Modulation multieffects pedal too. Just don't have the cash right now.

Eventually a TS-9 also.

-AJH

This applies to either my RKII or my Triaxis set-ups: I use a switching system that puts an ISP Decimator pedal (noise gate) in-line for high-gain settings, or a Boss AC-2 on some clean sounds. I do not use the noise gate on clean settings. Other than that, it is usually just the guitar into a Morley Bad Horsie wah. The rest of the effects (reverb, delay, modulation, harmonization, etc.) are after the preamp section.

kingster911 said:
I'm not familiar with some of the terminology: is front of the amp the first pedal thats plugged in from it? Someone give me tips if this sounds like signal hell:

From RK II: Boss Tuner, SPF Green Line OD, Boss Tremolo, MXR Script Phase, Maxon Vintage Series Analog Delay, Boss DD-6 DigiDelay, and J.D. Dimebag Wah.

Yes. "Front of the amp" generally means what goes into the input of the amp. So, that would mean whatever the signal chain is between the guitar and the amp. From the effects that you listed, I would take the tuner out of the signal path. The first pedal I'd plug into would be the wah, followed by either the phaser or the tremolo, the OD. Personally, i never liked delay effects in front of the amp, I put them in the loop. Ideally, I would recommend using a switching system (such as the Digital Music Corp. Guitar Audio Switcher (GCX)) to take pedals in and/or out of the signal chain.

ahh forgot, I want a Decimator before anything else really, so that i can use my single coil equipped guitars again......

-AJH

I plug my guitar into a Morley Bad Horsie then into a Boss GT8, which goes into the power amp of my Single Rectifier head. I put the preamp section of the head into the loop of the GT8 so I can have pre and post effects. I also run a cable from the AMP CTRL on the GT8 to the back of the Mesa for automatic channel switching. This is only to hold me over until I get the TCE G System.

Usually for me it is LP, SG, V, Explorer, Strat, or Tele, then straight into my Mark IV. Though sometimes I slip in a little boost or chorus depeding upon my mood and what I am playing. There are times that a wah goes in also but normally it is just straight up. The idea is plug and play. Straight up, put up or shut up. :twisted:

Had a gig last night and tried going as "minimal" as possible. Guitar (Hamer Diablo II - great underrated guitar) into BOSS tuner, Morley wah and then straight into the Dual Recto. BOSS reverb/delay pedal in the loop. Can't go much less then that - I need a tuner, a wah and something in the loop to liven up the clean sounds a touch.

I had the output at 12 o'clock and the solo at max. Running Ch2 in vintage with the master maxed in spongy/vacuum tube mode. Had presence, middle and treble at 12 o'clock, bass at 10, gain at 2. Sounded awesome, very loud but still producing the best sound I've had for ages - bye-bye to my overdrive pedals I think!

It's true....being a minimalist wiht a Mesa is by far the best....

-A/B Box

-A to Planet Waves Pedal Tuner

- B to Tremonti power wah----> ISP Noise Decimator ---> Amp

Rectifier? Nothing. I've always found I can get better sounds by pushing the amps gain up and my guitars volume down than I can by turning my amps gain down and using a pedal for a boost.

MkIII - EB Volume and Splitter.....split to a MkIII and Orange Rocker 30 running in stereo.

screamingdaisy said:
I've always found I can get better sounds by pushing the amps gain up and my guitars volume down ...

This is so true! Owning a Mesa was the first time I found that changing the volume on my LP actually gave me different tones. I like to turn my pickup volume down about 25% and get some really great sounds. And from there I started experimenting more with adjusting volume/tone controls.

First off, I am a new owner of my first Mesa--a Stiletto Ace. They finally made what I really wanted. My Les Paul Standard is very happy.
I've got some pedals in my chain, mostly true bypass.
Carl Martin Compressor
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Diamond Fireburst
Morley Wah
Boss CE-2 (sometimes in the path)
Memory Man Deluxe
Diamond Memory Lane

If I want some reverb or really want to go crazy with effects, I'll go to my Kurzweil KSP8 using the effects loop.
There is minimal adulteration in tone because of the quality of these pedals.

as you can see in my signature

morley pro series volume (kind of a sucky pedal, looking to get the ernie ball vp junior)

electro/harmonix big muff pi - not as a 'boost' or anything, just as an alternate distortion sound that i use over the clean channel of my mark iv

sometimes , an alesis 3630 compressor - i like to use it on the clean channel of my mark iv , i like being able to shape the attack of my sound with a compressor

Im running a tremonti wah, rocktron chorus, and a memory lane at the moment. Id rather run the delay and chorus in the loop but because I take home my effects it just becomes easier to throw them in the front. I'm wrestling with the pedal board idea at the moment.

Ravensha said:
Les Paul and a cable.

I can't imagine front loading with any other pedal, FX, or anything really.
For myself, the beauty of getting a Mesa was being able to ditch all that "stuff" I had collected over the years.

+1
I couldn't have put it better myself. I even plug my tuner into the Slave-Out instead of putting it in front of the amp.

Except, I put a TS808 in front of my RK1. I only use it with Ch 1, and only for SRV-type stuff.

Back