What do you stick in front of your MESA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStoner

Reaction score
Hi - just signed up to this forum and looking forward to lots of MESA stuff.

I've got a Dual Recto...

MESA.jpg

...sorry about the 5150 and Marshall cab in the pic!

I was wondering what overdrive/boost people used. I've recently switched from an MXR ZW44 to a SubDecay "Black Star" which sounds awesome. I can never quite bring myself to just plug straight in. Any thoughts?

Boss tuner, VOX wah, TS9, MXR Phase 90 out front.

Rocktron Replifex in the loop.

I run an Nady Wireless to a rackmount Korg Tuner to a rackmount Alesis Compressor/Limiter to a Morley Mark Tremonti Wah to the input jack.

Alesis Midiverb 4 in the loop.

(Soundwise it is supposedly recomended to run the Compressor AFTER the Wah Pedal then to the input jack, but when I run in that order I get a ground loop hum that I am unable to get rid of regardless of what conditioner, hum eliminator or ground lift I use. But for some reason when I switch the order of the Wah and Compressor it eliminates my hum.... so thats how I run it and it sounds good).

In Front: Barber Direct Drive, Barber LTD, and a Line6 MM4 Modulation pedal.

In effects loop: Boss NS-2 noise suppresor, Boss EQ-20, Line 6 DL4 Delay.

I just put the Barbers there .. they push the boogie High Gain into HIGH GAIN without mud, fiz, or flub ... prettu amazing pedals.

I had/and have had tp push my Marshalls, and Mesa in the past. OCD, TS-9, SD-1, Keeley SD-1, Guv'nor I and II, Barber DD, and LTD, Line 6 Crunchtone, Boss BD-2, MXR Zakk Wylde OD .. couple more ..

pretty amazed with the Barbers, if you have one .. goose your High Gain with it .. works well at Lower volumes *house gig/practice level*

Les Paul and a cable.

I can't imagine front loading with any other pedal, FX, or anything really.
For myself, the beauty of getting a Mesa was being able to ditch all that "stuff" I had collected over the years.

Ravensha said:
Les Paul and a cable.

For myself, the beauty of getting a Mesa was being able to ditch all that "stuff" I had collected over the years.

What he said! But substitute the Les Paul for some PRSi.

I will add .. nothing in front if I play my Les Paul with EMG's in it .. even if i hit an OD pedal, I cant hear it .. this is in High Gain mode ..

Ravensha said:
Les Paul and a cable.

yeah what he said. =)

I feel better, I thought I would be post killer if I said I don't put anything between my guitars and my Boogies besides a cables.

Played guitar for 30+ years, never bought a distortion / overdrive stomp box. Borrowed friends though for curiousity reason.

Alway was able to dial the distortion I like on the Boogies I owned.

Nothing out front of my F-30, though I might try connecting my Pod XTL in the effects loop so I can add some digital delay.

Back