What cabinet/s do you guys use with your 2 channel Recto???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a cabinet to go with my Dual Rectifier.

So far I've tried:
EV loaded thiele
EV loaded Rectoverb combo cabinet
1x12 3/4 back with C-90
2x12 THD cab with Mojotones

The 2x12 THD & 1x12 3/4 back together sounded pretty good, but not as good as I think it should.

I found a Mesa 4x12 fairly close to me, but can't make up my mind as to whether or not I want to lug it around.
I know that the crushing metal tones are in the 4x12, but what kind of cleans can I expect?

I have a standard rec 4x12.

It certainly is heavy and is a task to lug around...

But there is a reason you see lots of guys using Mesa cabs with other heads and not many guys using Mesa heads with anything else.

There are many other factors than just the cab that play into your clean tone. Guitar, playing dynamics, string gauge, pickup height, etc.

But do yourself a favor and pick up the Mesa... it is a good starting point for shaping your tone... and you will finally have that "Mesa" sound.

There is no way around it if you want your sound to be at it's best a 4x12 cab is a must it sucks to lug this beast around but it's worth it, as for which cab to get I'm a little bias I lean toward mesa I have a traditional and standard cab if I had to get rid of one it would be very tough decision I would most likely flip a coin as they both sound killer.

:D I knew you guys would say that!!!!!!!

I PM'd Eric and told him I'd go pick the cab up.
It's a bit more than I can afford, but it's in really good shape and it's near me, so I don't have to ship it.

Thanks guys!

Monsta-Tone said:
:D I knew you guys would say that!!!!!!!

I PM'd Eric and told him I'd go pick the cab up.
It's a bit more than I can afford, but it's in really good shape and it's near me, so I don't have to ship it.

Thanks guys!
Hah, I was going to tell you to go for it too! Let us know how it works out for you!

The best tonal clarity you`ll get with Mesa Recto oversized.I`ve used Engl V30 {more tight than Mesa} Marshall 1960 G75 {nice tight punchy} and Orange loaded V30`s {Mesa with more balls}.All three boxes have smaller size witch will afect final tone.I`ve seen many guitarist using Marshall 1960 cab to reach agrressive heavy tone.But my recommendation 8) stay Mesa.

I would never say the orange has more balls, more mid's yes and will cut through alot better, but the oversized mesa cabinets have the low end balls that most cabinets dream about.

You will see some people with marshall cabinets or orange cabinets with there mesa, that is because they wanted normal size and some people just dont realize mesa makes the traditional cabinet.

wolf said:
The best tonal clarity you`ll get with Mesa Recto oversized.I`ve used Engl V30 {more tight than Mesa} Marshall 1960 G75 {nice tight punchy} and Orange loaded V30`s {Mesa with more balls}.All three boxes have smaller size witch will afect final tone.I`ve seen many guitarist using Marshall 1960 cab to reach agrressive heavy tone.But my recommendation 8) stay Mesa.

The Mesa traditional cab that I got sounds fantastic!
It has 2 V30's and 2 GTK-100's in an X pattern.

I can't imagine needing more bass out of it, but I guess I would feel differently if it was loaded with 4 V30's.

After looking around I've concluded I want something a lot darker. I can't stand the ice picking, the cone cry of these V30's.

Should I just swap them out? but for what? what is the darkest most grumbling speakers out there?

Elixir said:
After looking around I've concluded I want something a lot darker. I can't stand the ice picking, the cone cry of these V30's.

Should I just swap them out? but for what? what is the darkest most grumbling speakers out there?

V30s are actually pretty dark speakers... they just have a f*ck load of midrange. If you run them clean and compare them to other speakers you can hear how much of the top end they actually roll off.

Anyway, if you're looking for something similar, but without the big midrange spike check out the Eminence Governor. It's their take on the V30 sound, but without the midrange spike.

Another option is mixing speakers. G12T-75s for instance will add some top and bottom end to V30s, as well as reinforce the mids in a slightly different area. The end result is that the V30/G12T mix doesn't sound quite as spikey. Further, the Eminence Man-O-War is Emi's take on the G12T-75, though it's generally considered a little smoother in the top end than the Celestion.

That said, I don't find that V30s smooth out until you get around 40 to 60 hours of loud playing time on them, and they'll continue to improve over the years.

siggy14 said:
I would never say the orange has more balls, more mid's yes and will cut through alot better, but the oversized mesa cabinets have the low end balls that most cabinets dream about.

You will see some people with marshall cabinets or orange cabinets with there mesa, that is because they wanted normal size and some people just dont realize mesa makes the traditional cabinet.

I sold my Mesa oversized cab for an Orange. The Mesa had a deeper bottom end response and a little more 3D sound, but it tracked slower and tended to thump more than punch. I found that the oversized Recto cab contributed the 'Recto Sag' to any amp you plugged into it. Whether this saggy sound is desireable or not is left up to the individual as it could be good or bad, depending on your goals. I mean, it definetly makes the cab sound bigger, but it also slows down the response.

The Orange cab has a punchier, more aggressive sound. It tracks faster, but doesn't go as deep as the Mesa. It doesn't have the 'hugeness' of a Recto cab, but it sounds much more focused.

I don't think you can really compare an Orange and Recto Traditional cab since they're not the same construction/dimensions.

For the original poster... if you don't want to drag around a 4x12, check out the Recto 2x12. It's extremely highly rated for it's ability to sound big.

The traditional and orange are going to be alot closer, actually probaly the biggest difference besides the obvious color, slant vs straight etc.. is no matter what mesa tells you, they do use a specially designed V30's with a little relaxed on the mid, lower bottem.

I am not sure if the oranges are rear or front mounted, but that will play a huge difference in sound when it comes to a cabinet. Front loaded speakers will be more in your face, where rear loaded will be warmer and bassier.

screamingdaisy said:
siggy14 said:

I sold my Mesa oversized cab for an Orange. The Mesa had a deeper bottom end response and a little more 3D sound, but it tracked slower and tended to thump more than punch. I found that the oversized Recto cab contributed the 'Recto Sag' to any amp you plugged into it. Whether this saggy sound is desireable or not is left up to the individual as it could be good or bad, depending on your goals. I mean, it definetly makes the cab sound bigger, but it also slows down the response.

The Orange cab has a punchier, more aggressive sound. It tracks faster, but doesn't go as deep as the Mesa. It doesn't have the 'hugeness' of a Recto cab, but it sounds much more focused.

I don't think you can really compare an Orange and Recto Traditional cab since they're not the same construction/dimensions.

For the original poster... if you don't want to drag around a 4x12, check out the Recto 2x12. It's extremely highly rated for it's ability to sound big.

siggy14 said:
The traditional and orange are going to be alot closer, actually probaly the biggest difference besides the obvious color, slant vs straight etc.. is no matter what mesa tells you, they do use a specially designed V30's with a little relaxed on the mid, lower bottem.

Checking out the outer dimensions the Mesa Traditional is a touch taller, narrower, and not as deep as the Orange... more like a Marshall cab than an Orange. Still, that's the outer measurements... I wouldn't mind knowing the inner measurements.

I am not sure if the oranges are rear or front mounted, but that will play a huge difference in sound when it comes to a cabinet. Front loaded speakers will be more in your face, where rear loaded will be warmer and bassier.

Rear mounted.

They probaly have close to the same internal volume, you can figure it out with a tape measure and a formula, you would do better to compare a mesa tradtional straight front to a orange straight front cab, but I can almost bet they are even in terms of internal volume, I think they are both made roughly with the same grade birch I know mesa uses 13 ply and so does orange, but the orange users 18MM and I dont know what MM mesa uses, but probaly the same, either way they are both built like tanks and a few MM is not going to make a huge difference at all.

screamingdaisy said:
siggy14 said:

Checking out the outer dimensions the Mesa Traditional is a touch taller, narrower, and not as deep as the Orange... more like a Marshall cab than an Orange. Still, that's the outer measurements... I wouldn't mind knowing the inner measurements.

Rear mounted.

I'm very interested in an orange cab right now. I just can't find one to play out of around here. Can someone give me a good comparison between a std recto straight cab and an orange

I use the vintage 30 Marshall 1960BV straight cab sounds ace might soon supplement it with a orange 2x12 to be crushing!

ahhh i must know about the orange! those one by me being sold on ebay.

I'm also looking at a Marshall 1960A 4x12. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I love my 1960A. In my opinion, G12T-75's and V-30's both sound amazing with rectifiers. It's all about the sound you want to get. My only suggestion is to test out the cabinets before you go out and buy one. I would highly recommend the 1960 cabinets though.

As much as I love my Marshall cab, I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a Madison Divinity cabinet with V-30's. Those things are absolute beasts!

Latest posts

Back