What 2x12 cab for Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffraff

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm currently using a Carvin Legacy 2X12 cab with vintage 30s. It sounds ok, maybe even good but I was wondering if the Mesa 2X12 3/4 back with C90s would sound better? I was set to get an Avatar cab with vintage 30's thinking maybe the cab itself was built better & would therefore sound better. But hey, I already have vintage 30's! Anywho, has anyone tried the Mesa cab? Other cabs? Speakers? Any help would be great. I called Mesa but they were vague. BTW I play all types of music at all sorts of gigs with my Mark IV short head with 2 el34's & 2 6L6's. Thanks!

I have a Mark IV head and the 2x12 recto cabinet. I find that the Mark IV sound the best through a 1x12 Thiele cabinet. Sounds great through the Recto cab too.

How interesting! I almost bid on a 2x12 mesa cab with c90's. So the recto has vintage 30's & my Carvin has V30's. What's the difference? The cab? Should I expect the V30's In a Recto cab to sound better than my Carvin cab? Thanks guys!

if you want to mix it up a little you could also go with the vertical rectifier 2x12", fits nicely with a short head

Find the Mark series half back cab. Make sure to load the bottom with an EVM-12L if it is not so equipped. Then the top can be C90 or V30 if you want to mix things up a little but an EVM-12L sounds great there too.

Thanks guys! So consenses(?) is a 2x12 recto with V30's & in the mix is a thiele 1x12 & a Mark series half back cab. I was wondering if Mesa made a cab specifically for the Mark series? I haven't ever heard of a Mark series cab & when I called boogie they never said anything about one. The Mark IV combo comes with a C90 which is why I was considering getting a cab loaded with them. Thanks for your help! Anymore?

Russ said:
Find the Mark series half back cab. Make sure to load the bottom with an EVM-12L if it is not so equipped. Then the top can be C90 or V30 if you want to mix things up a little but an EVM-12L sounds great there too.

I cover most styles of music also and my old 2x12 halfback loaded with EV's top and bottom makes me smile just thinking about it. In my opinion the most versatile and best sounding cab Mesa ever made, period. It's got the tight,big (not boomy) lows and a smooth and spacious presence and the EV's respond to anything you throw at em without all that nasty 2nd harmonic sizzle. They also sound great at lower studio volumes as well as stage levels.

I have been using a 2x12 recto and a 4x12 RK cab with my Mark IV and it is just awsome. I spread the cabs apart a little bit and it is such a huge wall of greatness. Man I am all chubbed up just thinking about it!

IMO the best speakers for a Mark IV (especially the short head) are a pair of Thiele 1-12"s loaded with EVM-12L's. I've tried many other cabs and speakers and keep coming back to that setup.

To each his own, and i respect everyone's opinion, but for me the EVM-12L's are too rigid and sterile sounding, i have played my Short Head MarkIV through 2 1x12 Boogie cabinets mounted with EVM-12L's, (open back) and i didn't like the sound at all, the Recto 2x12 is far away superior thanks to the Celestions V 30's, smoother, richer, more organic soundwise... but that's just me, test always first, if you can.

a vader cab

imo better than recto cab. Tight and very low end response but not flabby like soem recto cabs tend to be.

****, thanks guys! I wish Mesa had been as informative as you guys! I was using my Carvin cab as a closed back but I always had some weird overtones on the bass side. I made the cab an open back & it got rid of those overtones, so I'm a little worried about closed back cabs. Maybe it was just the Carvin cab. Anyway, I'm just looking for the best 2x12 Mesa cab for my Mark IV & was hopeing(?) I could get a used one on ebay but I guess I should take my head to a mesa dealer & try some out to make sure. Thanks again guys, this is one of the friendliest boards I've run into! If anyone else has any thought please jump in! Take care!

I own a 212 mark series half back cab loaded with a C90 up top and an EV 12L on the bottom. While I don't use a Mark IV(maybe someday though) my triaxis and 290 come *close enough*. The 212 is tight and has incredible defined low end due to the ported EV 12L but there's a nice airyness due to the open back 90. Basically this setup would mimmick an open back combo atop a thiele cab loaded with an EV. The 90 is bit harsh compared to the EV so I am thinking of swapping it out in the future. The only downside of the cab is that it looks like it was resurrected from the 80's with the metal grill and huge Mesa/boogie logo but the aesthetics might not bother you that much.

A newer 212 cab will be easy to find but the older Mark series....not so much. I was lucky enough to find one at a local store (in Japan of all places) but otherwise I wouldn't have had the oppurtunity to try one.

The C90 is a much less mid focused speaker which is a good thing IMO since the M IV has so much tonal control the speakers won't color your sound as much. The EV, like i said earlier, is not as harsh to my ears as the C90 but together they sound more balanced especially sincei have each speaker is on it's own channel with it's own vol/presence control thanks to the 290 power amp.

I bet the resale of the Carvin 212 will hurt you the most and might even be worth it to sell it as an empty cab with the speakers being seperate.

Greg

disassembled said:
I own a 212 mark series half back cab loaded with a C90 up top and an EV 12L on the bottom. While I don't use a Mark IV(maybe someday though) my triaxis and 290 come *close enough*. The 212 is tight and has incredible defined low end due to the ported EV 12L but there's a nice airyness due to the open back 90. Basically this setup would mimmick an open back combo atop a thiele cab loaded with an EV. The 90 is bit harsh compared to the EV so I am thinking of swapping it out in the future. The only downside of the cab is that it looks like it was resurrected from the 80's with the metal grill and huge Mesa/boogie logo but the aesthetics might not bother you that much.

Yeah I pulled the "bill board" sized logo off mine the day I got it. Now I'm thinking about getting some nice grill cloth to cover the metal grate but I just can't decide wheather to go basic black or maybe the mesa gold or tan. These cabs may not be everyone's nirvana but looks like there may be more than a few of us in love with them.

Back