Weird Triple Rec issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robson780

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new Triple Rec, and I have this weird thing going on. Whenever the footswitch is plugged in, and I turn the power switch ON to let it warm up, the head emits a weird electric buzz-like sound but it is very brief. It last about half a second. The amp functions fine otherwise. I've never heard this on another amp before, so I thought I'd run it past you guys.

Thanks.

Maybe it's the fan powering up? When you say the head emits, you mean it's like a mechanical/electrical sound coming from the head itself, not the speaker cab, right?

It's probably either the fan or just the surge of power running through the head. My heads make a sound when I turn them on too, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it lasts longer or impedes the signal quality at all.

It's the power to the footswitch humming (or something to do with the footswitch) my DR does the same thing when I use the footswitch, but when I use my switching system it doesn't happen, so I'm assuming it's the footswitch anyway.

mrd said:
Maybe it's the fan powering up? When you say the head emits, you mean it's like a mechanical/electrical sound coming from the head itself, not the speaker cab, right?

It's probably either the fan or just the surge of power running through the head. My heads make a sound when I turn them on too, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it lasts longer or impedes the signal quality at all.

Yeah it comes from the head itself, not from the cab.
And I thought it had something to do with the footswitch powering up. I wasn't sure though.

My Triple does the exact same thing, kinda sounds like a little zap surge type thing when you first power it on. Ive had it for about 6 months and it seems to be just fine. *crosses fingers*

jarroldj said:
My Triple does the exact same thing, kinda sounds like a little zap surge type thing when you first power it on. Ive had it for about 6 months and it seems to be just fine. *crosses fingers*

Yeah, thats exactly it! And it doesn't happen when the footswitch isn't plugged in, right?

So I called Mesa about it. They said all it was was the footswitch power supply. I guess in some situations the voltage takes a second to get to it, and makes that sharp 'bzzsht' noise when you flip the switch.

Does anyone else concur with this?

I have this problem with my dual rectifier, it lasts for about 1 second. I have yet to try it with no footswitch.
I also had this problem with my Formula Preamp.
So all it is is the footswitch power supply? :S:S cos it sounds pretty scary to me :lol:

Anyone else?

donated_flea said:
I have this problem with my dual rectifier, it lasts for about 1 second. I have yet to try it with no footswitch.
I also had this problem with my Formula Preamp.
So all it is is the footswitch power supply? :S:S cos it sounds pretty scary to me :lol:

Anyone else?

Yeah, I called Mesa and the dude said it was nothing to worry about 'cause it was just the voltage from the wall actually getting to the footswitch power supply. Apparently in buildings with really good power this doesn't happen.

They said it wasn't a problem and it's not unheard of. Just wanted to see who else has this.

I have seen it happen on new amps out of the box. It sounds to me like a bunch of the noises that occur when you change channels, but all at the same time.

Doesn't seem to affect anything. Switches channels fine.

Back