weird ?? take a look

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
i was playing my rect-0-verb for the first time in a while, since i got the mark IV,, the rect0 is a combo, i plugged it in and all this weird noise stared coming from it, popping, fuzzy, type sound, so i smacked the top of it with my hand and the popping and buzzing sound went away??? on the clean channel it sound fine, on the crunch channel it sounds like the speaker has a 10 inch hole in it?? the pre amp tubes are newer, the power tubes are old, its strange when i hit the top of it, it changes noises?? any idea, all the tubes are lit :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

thanks guys you all have been a big help in the past :!:

Are all your tubes seated properly?

Sounds like a preamp issue off the bat but it's hard to tell with your given info. Have you tried the tap test on your preamp tubes?

yeah, the amp pre tubes were put in by my guitar tec guy, the amp worked fine for 1-2 months, the popping and fizzy noise comes and goes when i hit the top of it, dont know what a tap test it? thanks tony

Preamp tubes can go bad at any time and especially in a combo could have rattled loose.. double check they're all pushed down properly in their sockets.

The tap test is to plug in your guitar and tap the preamp tubes lightly with a pencil or pen while you play and see if one of them makes a really messed up noise when you do it. You wont break them don't worry but dont bash it either.

O.K,, did it,, every tube i tapped made a bad noise??????? ALL OF THEM!!!! what the hell,, EVEN the power tubes are making noise, the power tubes are original, the amp is dead mint, its newer i think 03, every time i turn the recto on it seems to get worse :shock: the pre amp tubes are JJ's,, i know tubes can go bad at any time but this is freakin weird

If you hit the top of your amp, like really hard, with maybe a sledge-hammer or something, it might stop making any sound! :shock: :eek: :?

Dude, there got to be more to this, i just took a tube out of the markIV and put in the rect,, the tube did the same thing, then i took the tube out and put it back in the mark IV and the tubed worked fine?

so i took ALL the pre amp tubes out of the rect, and put them in the mark IV and the tubes worked perfect, and the mark IV sounded perfect??? i only use JJ's or mesa tubes, WTF, anybody any idea :?: :?: :?:

this is only happens on the over drive,, the clean is perfect when at a loud volume or any volume

I MIGHT HIT IT WITH A FREAKIN HAMMER :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrt said:
O.K,, did it,, every tube i tapped made a bad noise??????? ALL OF THEM!!!! what the hell,, EVEN the power tubes are making noise, the power tubes are original, the amp is dead mint, its newer i think 03, every time i turn the recto on it seems to get worse :shock: the pre amp tubes are JJ's,, i know tubes can go bad at any time but this is freakin weird

Noise is ok.. BAD noise, IE one will sounds drastically different than the rest is what to look for.

Definetly check your power tubes out, try replacing them with known good ones, the problem definetly sounds tube related.

I replaced all the tubes with working tubes from my Mark IV, and does the same thing,, BAD noise, its more then a tube problem?

mrt said:
I replaced all the tubes with working tubes from my Mark IV, and does the same thing,, BAD noise, its more then a tube problem?

What all did you replace, all the preamp and postamp tubes?

Does one in particular make a different noise than the others?

pre and power amp tubes re placed them all, the BAD noise the same, the tubes i took out of the mark IV i put the tubes in from the rect and the mark IV works fine,,, so the tubes are fine,,

Hmmm.. have you isolated it to be the amp for sure? Tried different cables, etc? If so you might want to have it checked out with a Mesa authorized tech!

yeah, its going in on thursday :(

i know its going to cost a **** load

jbird said:
Sockets could need re-tensioning :?: :idea:

thats what it is ,, i played a show about 3-4 weeks ago with the combo, and the drummers monitors weren't working so i plugged in to the strait cab and 1x12 loud very LOUD, so the drummer could hear me, thats what i like about the combo with open back speaker, but all is well now and the dude only charged me 50 bucks, but i spent 120 for new tubs, never know when one is going to go bad!!!!

thanks tony

Latest posts

Back