Weird Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
At the shop we had a guy bring in a lonestar to have it modded. No particular instructions, just...better.

Anyway it didnt look right. It was in a really small cab but still looked like Mesa work. kinda looks like this one but ill get a picture when I go back to work. http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=159

on another note, any tube substitutions or mods you guys would suggest? We already changed the mid and treble caps to orange drops and silver micas

You must be talking about the short head Lonestar, been a lot of talk about these on here recently.

miniboogie.jpg

lerxst88 said:
At the shop we had a guy bring in a lonestar to have it modded. No particular instructions, just...better.
A few things I would like to do to my amp: find a way to wire the drive to a foot switch. I'm thinking of using one of the existing plug, change that to a stereo plug and wired the drive in.
Tinker with the v1 grid resistor to a lower value to get less muddy bass, that is if the guy play with the bass down.
What cap do they use for the coupling caps?
Let us know how it turns out.

yes! that is what it looked like except it was a 1x12. I couldnt find one on mesa's website so i thought it was a chop job or something. either way it was a royal PITA to get the chassis back in!!! NEVER TAKE ONE OUT UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!!

Well we replaced the tone caps and lowered the resistor value (off of pin 3 on V1) from 1.5k to 1k and replaced the 15uF cap with a 33uF. Also we lowered the resistor on pin 8 of V1 to 1.2k instead of 1.5k

Then we put in JJ 6L6s and an EHX rectifier tube.

Amp sounds pretty awesome now however it sounded really good before the mods as well. in my opinion the lonestar is a great sounding amp from the factory but if this guy wants to throw money at us to do magic...why not?

Yeah, I was watching that auction too. I was surprised at how much it sold for. In a few years, if Mesa jumps into the reissue band-wagon like everyone else, they'll make a killing.

I was bummed when that jumped so high! I really wanted that head, and it was like 10 minutes away from me. We gotta get some measurements and start bugging GTS.

-dave

Latest posts

Back