WEBER BEAM BLOCKERS ON ACE COMBO WOW!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONGO

Reaction score
Anyone use webers beam blockers with v-30 speakers ?

I have a c-90 eqipped cab with an ace head and love it. I hate the v-30s to a cetain point but my bro had them on his combo ace 2-12 and had these weber things on them. Took out most of the harshness of the speaker, let me turn the treble up a little bit instead of having it at 9 or 10 oclock on his combo. After comparing I still like the c-90 speakers but for more of a marshall crunch sound the 30's work best like the amp was made for. Buit having the weber blockers on the speakers wow!~

I went for G12M's to capture more of a old school tone with my combo, I have a 2x12 version

Tell me what did they ad to the sound compared to the v30's ? Was it fatter thinner ? Maybe they broke up a lot more and were not as tight

I guess they would sound more less a bit more crunchy as well

Any sound bites

MONGO said:
Anyone use webers beam blockers with v-30 speakers ?

I have a c-90 eqipped cab with an ace head and love it. I hate the v-30s to a cetain point but my bro had them on his combo ace 2-12 and had these weber things on them. Took out most of the harshness of the speaker, let me turn the treble up a little bit instead of having it at 9 or 10 oclock on his combo. After comparing I still like the c-90 speakers but for more of a marshall crunch sound the 30's work best like the amp was made for. Buit having the weber blockers on the speakers wow!~

I'd be curious to try out beam blockers on my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab. My only question is about microphone placement... How the heck can you mic a speaker that has a beam blocker on it?

I have blockers on half of my 4x12 speakers. You can mic them just the same. They don't cover the whole speaker just the center area. I'm assuming of course you do the stock edge of the speaker, slightly off axis thing many do with the mic.

-P

FPFL said:
I have blockers on half of my 4x12 speakers. You can mic them just the same. They don't cover the whole speaker just the center area. I'm assuming of course you do the stock edge of the speaker, slightly off axis thing many do with the mic.

-P
OK. I usually mic just barely off axis on the outside edge of the center cone. Would this be possible still?

I see no reason why it won't work. Understand blockers really will change the sound a little no matter where you put the mic - BUT THAT IS THE POINT. You either like the change or you don't and I don't think mic placement will become a "problem" even if you put it dead center.

The real question isn't mic placement its if you like blockers. You can easily get your money back for them used as there is a constant demand, but I'll bet you'll keep them. The dispersion really is better and its a difference you'll hear right away. Even my drummer noticed!

-P

FPFL said:
I see no reason why it won't work. Understand blockers really will change the sound a little no matter where you put the mic - BUT THAT IS THE POINT. You either like the change or you don't and I don't think mic placement will become a "problem" even if you put it dead center.

The real question isn't mic placement its if you like blockers. You can easily get your money back for them used as there is a constant demand, but I'll bet you'll keep them. The dispersion really is better and its a difference you'll hear right away. Even my drummer noticed!

-P
Excellent! Thanks for the tips FPFL

They work great for live or when playing in a band situation but for recording I would say its a whole different thing so take themoff or not.

I basically wanted to try to get as close to some of the old school tones as possible and went with pre rolas with the 102 003 cone very expensive to say the least but there are a couple of people making very good replicas of this speaker Ted Weber and Scumback come to mind, the midrange of these particular speakers are what I was after tone wise..might not be your cup o tea.. check out this link www.southbayampworks.com/stf/ this will tell the story better than I can describe them

I had these on all four of my speakers in a mesa 4-12 standard cab. At the time I had a Stiletto and that thing could rip your head off if you were standing right in front of it. Even from a good distance. It made getting a good pa mix difficult sometimes in small clubs. I really liked them. They also helped to get a more manageble stage volume.

I have a roadster 1-12 now with a 1-12 ext. cab (see pic. signature). I haven't installed any yet because I dont think this set up really needs it but I have a couple left over in case I decide otherwise down the road.

Latest posts

Back