V30 or G12H30 in 1x12 with Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Still messing around with my home built 1x12 closed back ported cabinet. Right now I have a single V30 in there. It sounds OK but lacks bass grunt. I have a G12H30 in another amp that I could try in the 1x12 cabinet.

Does anyone have any "real world" experience with the differences between these 2 speakers in a 1x12 cabinet. I know they're often paired in a 2x12 but I'm only interested in opinions about what might be best in a 1x12.

I'm running this cabinet at band practice volumes with my Rectoverb head. The drummer doesn't hit hard so we're no where near the threshold of blowing the G12H30's 30 watt limitation. In fact, I often feel like the reason that the V30 is not sounding that good is because it's barely working at such a low volume.

I'm often switching between clean and modern distortion - so I'd like the speaker to sound good with both.

Thanks,
Chris

I often wish I had more experience w/ speakers and pickups.

usually I find something I like and I stick with it, b/c I don't want to drop a couple hundred on speakers only to find out that I don't like them. I went through a couple of cabs with celestions other than V30s and I definitely like the V30s better. Now I only use V30s. There are probably speakers out there that I might like better, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend 300+ on new speakers and end up sticking with V30s.

same with pickups. I know I like EMG 81s/85s and I LOVE seymour duncan JB/59 sets

afraid to try new things once I've found something I really enjoy.

But I don't look like Homer Simpson LOL!

I'll let you know how I made out with the 1x12 cabinet - the Rectoverb sounds great with my son's 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet but I hate lugging that thing around.......

LOL!

yeah if you use something other than the V30 please let me know how you like it and what the differences are. Also, lmk how the 1x12 itself stacks up against the 2x12. If there's not significant loss of bottom end I too may end up wanting to grab a 1x12 to carry back and forth from my drummer's house.

Will Do - I think I'll try my G12H30 in there first and if I don't like that I'll order what YellowJacket suggested.

For the record I've tried a Celestion 70/80 - Just ho-hum with no bottom end and a V30 - Better but still lacking in bottom end.

The 2x12 Recto Cabinet puts the 1x12 cabinet to shame at the moment as far as bass response. But the clarity of the 1x12 cabinet is better in the mids and highs.

YellowJacket - how are the cleans?

The short answer: Great.

Well, we put 2 of the Reaper HP (HP is short for 'high power', meaning this is a 50watt speakers based on the G12H 30 design.) in a thiele cab we built for my brother.

The clean is warm, rich, and Dark. As I recall, it was somewhat similar to a c90 type clean. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48578

The crunch tone is a bit hard to put a finger on. It is very flat / even with just a hint of cone crunch. The frequency response is strong and flat from the lows right up to this nice high end sizzle. http://wgs4.com/content/ReaperHP

If I was ever to stray away from Celestions and go for a unique and awesome tone, I'd buy these. I was SUPER impressed both with the build quality and the tone. They have my highest recommendation as a great rock speaker.

55 or 75 HZ version?

Don't get the G12H 30 clone. (Reaper 30 or Reaper 55Hz) The resonant frequency of the Reaper HP is actually 93Hz, as stated on the website.

Tried the G12H30 in the 1x12 cab last night - MUCH better than the V30 - very nice bass and nice cleans

YellowJacket - can you tell me the basic differences between the Celestion G12H30 and the Reaper HP?

Thanks!
Chris

Cyber,
your best bet is to check out the WGS site and AB the Reaper 75HZ clips against the Reaper HP clips. The Reaper 75HZ is basically a G12H 30 75th Anniversary clone, so the comparison clips will be about 90% accurate.

The biggest difference will obviously be the 50watt power handling vs 30 watts power handling. You have a bit tighter of a cone and a bit more modern of a sound. The Reaper HP is a LOUD speaker and the tone really melds well with a Recto.

OK - I ordered a Reaper HP. I'm going to keep the Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary in the 1x12 cabinet that I use with the Rectoverb.

The Reaper HP will be paired with a Celestion V30 in my Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 combo.

I stole the G12H30 out of the Blackstar to try it.

Hope the Reaper HP is as good or better than the Celestion G12H30! I had the G12H30 in the Blackstar to add bass response and high end that the V30 didn't have. Paired together in the Blackstar semi-open back 2x12 combo they complimented each other quite well. Hopefully the Reaper HP will do this job well also.

Chris

Let me know how that goes! I'm curious to pair a Reaper HP with a v30 in a 2 x 12. Whenever I listen to speaker clips, I keep coming back to that speaker. In my brother's 2 x 12, a pair of Reapers tore. I can't even begin to comprehend what a quartet would sound like in a 4 x 12...

Hi All:

I just tried something else and it's worked out VERY well.

I swapped the Celestion G12H30 70th Anniv. back into the Blackstar.

I put the V30 back into my 1x12 "home built" cabinet. When I built my cabinet I originally had a 10" bass guitar speaker in there and I used the cabinet as "small venue" bass cabinet (I play bass too).

Anyway, I decided to create the 1x12 guitar cabinet out of that cabinet by enlarging the hole to accomodate a 12" guitar speaker.

When I built the cabinet originally it was closed back with (2) 2" front ports.

This morning, I stuck a racket ball in each port to block it off.

WOW - what a difference!

My son and I "A/B"d the 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet and my "home built" 1x12 with his Dual Rectifier. The cabinets sound almost identical - the 1x12 produces a stunning amount of bass thump - about 80% of what the 2x12 Recto cabinet produces - it's almost imperceptible.

When the WGS Reaper shows up some time next week I'll swap it into the 1x12 cab and do another compare - I'll be very interested in the results.

If anyone is interested in the cabinet construction and dimensions let me know - I may have stumbled onto something good by accident.

Chris

DIY cabs are AWESOME. I had a thiele 2 x 12 which I since sold and the guy who bought it is still trying to pick his jaw up off of the floor. The oversized 2 x 12 I'm keeping because it mates with a Dual Recto like nothing else. It has that massive frequency spread of a 4 x 12 which is amazing!!

Keep me posted on the Reaper HP. If I get enough $$$s for selling my unused speakers, I'm considering ordering one. My brother LOVES them!

Hi Chris,

Found this thread interesting. I'm in the process of deigning my cabs. Two 1x12's. I have a Quad with a 2:50 poweramp, hence the 2 cabs. I also own a Rectoverb which itself has a huge bottom end running the stock C90.

As for the cabs, I'd be interested in your dimensions. I thought about making mine as wide as the Rectoverb cab (approx 750mm) and just as deep. Height wise I can trim as I don't have to take the amp chassis and tube heights into account.

If you can give me your cab dimensions, I suppose I can tweak and see about getting a similar volume to yours. I also want to make mine out of solid timber, blackwood or some other nice furniture grade wood. I realise tonally it'll sound little different.... something I'm willing to take a risk on.

Hope to hear from you.

Will do - I'll post the dimensions this evening.

It is unfortunate that the dimensions I built the cabinet to originally fit my bass head perfectly but it is too narrow for my Rectoverb head.

At any rate, like you said, its probably the volume that is most important.

Chris

Hi Guys:

Measured the home built 1x12 cabinet last night.

The dimensions are: 15.5" Wide, 14.5" Deep and 20 High". By my calculations that's about 2 cubic feet.

It is constructed out of 3/4" MDF and has a single batt of cotton insulation covering the inside of the back.

There are (2) 2" ports in the upper left hand corner and the speaker is mounted low center. THe ports are currently blocked off.

If anyone is interested I can post a picture.

Chris

Latest posts

Back